Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Please respond when asking for support (Read 2,935 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Please respond when asking for support
May 7th, 2012 at 5:26pm
Post Tools
I keep seeing an increasing number of users asking for support and not bothering to respond when someone gives them a solution, and I find it extremely upsetting.

I'm personally far more likely to give users future support if they have the common courtesy and manners to respond by at least saying thanks or whether it worked or not. It only takes a few seconds of your time when it has possibly taken the person helping you hours looking into your problem.

Manners go a long way and it shows your appreciation and encourages members who do take the time to give support to carry on doing so.

A slightly discouraged Derek.

Cry

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Please respond when asking for support
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2012 at 5:43pm
Post Tools
Sadly, I have to concur Derek. Over on the XAMPP project one of my compatriots has made almost identical comments several times lately.

http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50438#p194121

As long as we are on it, I'm going to post this link:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way It's not new, but good advice is timeless. Thanks to my friend Altrea on the Apache Friends Support Forum for pointing this document out to me.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I recommend it for all to read.

and Thanks for all your hard work Derek.
Wink
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2012 at 5:54pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2012 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
I agree with both of you, and I most definitely appreciate the support you give; not just to me when it's been needed, but for others as well.

Smiley

People asking for support should always reply back; not just to give thanks, but also to help others who can benefit from the result, be it successful, or not.

Having stated the obvious, I think it can be helpful to understand why this happens.

I think many people are afraid to be chided or "attacked" for trying to get help to problems they're not able to solve on their own. Not so much here anymore, but trying to get support can be a rude awakening in a support forum, especially when there's such a difference in the level of knowledge between those asking for support, and those giving it.

So generally speaking, if a person is bold enough to ask for help, it's not uncommon for them to suddenly disappear after that help is given.
They want to get out when they're still alive!  Roll Eyes  Smiley

This is just a weird part of human nature, but from my perspective, it's also understandable.

For the help and support I'm able to give, I just give it because it makes me feel good. So I'm already ahead of the game even if nobody cares to acknowledge it.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:02pm
Post Tools
Couldn't agree more. I feel it's just plain courteous to give a response.

A response saying thank you for the help in the least should always be given. It also doesnt hurt to let the one giving the help, as well as others know if the solution worked. This way, if someone else with the same question comes across the post.... they have somewhere to start. It may help solve their problem.

I have found that finding help in this forum has always been very easy.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2012 at 5:17pm
Post Tools
No reply's happen on a regular basis, I am not looking for thanks but do get a sense of achievement when my advice works. It is nice when you get an update  and it helps others.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
"... new users cannot send PM's due to post count ..."
Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 5:36pm:
CSK wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 5:29pm:
That would not be polite.
He/She did not request that approach.

This is a very friendly place, xnoddyx is a great support person that is why he displays his email link in his profile.

We also need to look at why new users cannot send PM's due to post count, many folk facing problems have a low post count. I will raise this with other support people shortly  Smiley

In our 2.4 forum we can set the post count to zero, which we have of course. You never know when help is needed as soon as possible. Of course, we also provide an email address for people to get help even if they aren't a member of our forum. After all, maybe a person needs help to join the forum, so they'd be in a Catch-22 situation.

Particularly when this forum allows for immediate registration for the purpose of getting help as soon as possible, I've never understood why private messages can't be sent to a staff member ... especially when support staff on a number of occasions have requested it from the new member who was asking for help.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 7:38pm
Post Tools
I will take that under consideration.  The reason we had to set a number was that spammers were using the PM system. The 5 post count was set originally by myself and Cap'n John. We can't really use an alert moderator button.

However, I am already considering two tweaks to privileges that would ONLY be applicable here. I have not yet talked to Dandello because (please note Bill) we are readying a replacement for this forum.  It is a ways off because it has to work just like this does from a data point of view.  That is also why we are not going to fix the breadcrumb navigation here.  There is zero point in making trivial or cosmetic fixes to a forum that will be replaced.

There have also been some other good suggestions that really only apply here.  When we have the new features set for our next release and tested, we will address our 'tweaking' that we would need to make it work here.  

It is not announced yet (now it is I guess) but we are working on an open bug-tracking system (plus other 'stuff').  How bug tracking works will affect how we run support.  I'm not going to announce or prognosticate on what we are going to do until our assessment and testing is complete AND I have discussed it with Corey and the host.  We may have to host some of these services  We will have a replacement for the Codex also, it all takes time/  Thusly my comment about trivial fixes applies to all of YaBBForum.com

When xnoddyx said we were working on many things he was not kidding. Please allow our tireless workers a chance to get all these things in place.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 7:38pm:
When xnoddyx said we were working on many things he was not kidding. Please allow our tireless workers a chance to get all these things in place.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cool

Smiley

What I'm hearing from you sounds great, and with you behind it I'm confident that these things are actually being worked on for real.

A friendly reminder, however, is that plural we have had these discussions before ... ad nauseam on my part ... and nothing was ever really properly addressed or fixed (exaggeration on the word "nothing" - just seemed that way sometimes).

Still, I'm keeping the faith, and I feel more confident than ever that these wonderful changes will actually take place this time. There's been a relatively new, and sincere effort to get YaBB moving in the right direction, particularly during the last half of this year, and I'm loving it! Slowly, but surely, YaBB is actually getting things done, and moving forward in a way that makes me proud to promote it.

Smiley Keep up the great work! Smiley

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 9:54pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:24pm:
What I'm hearing from you sounds great, and with you behind it I'm confident that these things are actually being worked on for real.

Bill
You will love the sub-boards, sweet  Smiley

IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:42am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 10:02pm:
I have found that finding help in this forum has always been very easy.

I disagree.

I've asked for plenty of help, but to no avail.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:40am
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:42am:
I disagree.

Patience young grass hopper. It sometimes takes time. Smiley

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 10:38am
Post Tools
Miss Emily wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:42am:
I disagree.

Coders are in short supply, I am afraid you will have to be patient and bump any questions after several hours, I have never really noticed questions going un-answered.

IP Logged

Miss Emily

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 11:04am
Post Tools
I understand. We all need help with one thing or another, and can't please everyone so I'll try to be more patient.

As for people not responding after help is given, you can't really blame them though. Sometimes the response is slow, they believe it will go unanswered so they forget about checking back to the actual thread.

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 3:32am
Post Tools
I had a philosophy when I was in the workforce.

"Cannot please all of the people all of the time"  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top