YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

The Smart Way to Get Support (Read 2,617 times)
 May 7th, 2012 at 5:53pm
There are no actions to perform.  

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None
The Smart Way to Get Support
Here's a useful and instructive Guide on Getting Online support. Its not new, but the advice given is timeless

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Thanks to my friend Altrea for pointing it out to me, and the authors for taking the time to explain it all so well.

Good Luck

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - May 7th, 2012 at 7:02pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Re: The Smart Way to Get Support
Thanks. That helps to put things into perspective.

On the other hand, support staff and customer service reps need to be reminded that they are the ones who need to step up to the plate in terms of taking the high road.

In other words, it's good to fully understand, and appreciate the perspective of the person needing help. That person can be, and often is, frustrated, not in their right mind, and incoherent.

That versus support staff and customer service reps who are professionals, and who should know how to manage a crisis, whether it's perceived or otherwise real.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 7:13pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
The Smart Way to Moderate a Support Forum
Wink Since the regular quote feature was disabled due to a locked topic ...

JonB at 9:41 am on Friday, July 13, 2012:
Quote:
This is an open support forum for an open source software project; therefore it should be operated in a consistent and transparent manner. To support that goal, we have established these policies.

To anyone who accepts the duties of an admin or moderator in this forum, I think it will help to remember that the standards of professionalism should always be a cut above other forums, particularly since this is supposed to be an open support forum for an open source software project.

I applaud a decorum of conduct for members, but it should also be applied to a greater extent to this forum's official admins and moderators.

What's hurt YaBB more than ever has been inappropriate actions by some admins and moderators that, simply put, caused its growth to slow, and sometimes even stop completely.

It's possible that the days of substandard moderation that this forum experienced years ago is far behind us. I like to think so. Time will tell. I say "us" because YaBB isn't just the declared leadership of today. YaBB is all of us despite anyone who takes actions against any one of us simply because of a personality conflict or some other unacceptable reason.

To ignore these truths of human nature will only lead to YaBB losing more good members to other forum communities. YaBB can be the best forum software in the world, but that won't matter if the main people behind its current operations choose to disrespect, over-moderate, or otherwise ignore its community at large.

Think about it. There are reasons that YaBB is doing poorly. It's not because of its development slowdown - that's the least of it. It's because of a continued push to basically marginalize its membership at large. This kind of policy cannot be sustained; at least not successfully.

Let's see what happens because time will tell. Will people continue to leave? Will people be pushed out; literally out of this community? Will mod writers continue to be marginalized? How are developers going to be treated?

Clues about what's going on behind the scenes can be seen in the actions that are taken here in this forum. These actions in total are a mirror to how YaBB will be moving forward.

Thankfully, YaBB's future isn't dependent upon this forum, or its current declared leadership. So if or whenever it's necessary, others can step in to collect themselves together, and continue on with YaBB's tradition to be a truly open source project for an open, and inclusive community.

Or not! After all, YaBB already exists in the name of other forum software that's "copied" it.  Wink

Meanwhile, I'll remain hopeful about YaBB, and I'll continue to see the glass as being half full. Unlike so many others, I'm still around.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 6:32pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 6:06am

JonB 
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Land of the Blazing Sun!

None

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 1:28pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5

IP Logged  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.