Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Images missing in the help section on Paths (Read 2,874 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Images missing in the help section on Paths
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Post Tools
o0Spyder0o wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 8:03am:
Hi Bill
The domain pointed to the forum ok but all links would show up as isp/~username when you hovered over a button or link etc.

Right. This is what happens when you have a masked domain versus having it independently hosted.

The domains I mask don't really need their own IP address or server since they're really just forks of a couple of our main sites anyway.

Just the same, I think you'll be much happier having your domain hosted, most especially if it's on your own dedicated server, although being on a shared server is perfectly fine.

Happy endeavors!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
o0Spyder0o wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 12:02pm:
Well that's resolved now, I left out the /httpdocs/ in the path, had to remember that it was no longer public_html as in the old setup. Slap!

Yep. I've been there myself.  Roll Eyes

Enjoy your forum, and congratulations on getting your domain hosted.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2012 at 1:17pm
Post Tools
o0Spyder0o wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 12:02pm:
Well that's resolved now, I left out the /httpdocs/ in the path, had to remember that it was no longer public_html as in the old setup. Slap!

LOL - we ALL have days like that!  Grin

Glad its working OK now

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

o0Spyder0o
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2012 at 12:02pm
Post Tools

IP Logged

o0Spyder0o
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2012 at 8:03am
Post Tools
Hi Bill
The domain pointed to the forum ok but all links would show up as isp/~username when you hovered over a button or link etc.
Then I found I couldn't get images to display as soon as I specified the domain as the html url, I had to go back to using isp/~username for all the $htmldir, $facesdir paths etc.

I've just added webhosting so I have transferred the forum on to a new server, now I can't get the template/default.css to come up in the control panel. I can't figure out how to get the right path in the htmldir to make it accessible.
I had thos problem with the forum on the isp's webspace but got that sorted as it was basically /username/forum/yabbfiles.
The path that the admin panel suggests, where it says:
"This information may be useful for troubleshooting purposes"
is a long convoluted one and that doesn't work either.
After all the costs of setting up with webhosting and domain name etc it's wearing thin now! grrr

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Using an iFrame to display YaBB
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2012 at 7:40am
Post Tools
o0Spyder0o wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 6:02am:
Thanks Derek. I actually have the forum running but after talking to my isp I was able to find out why my domain name wouldn't work for the forum. It uses frame forwarding so everything has to point back to my isp/~username which prevents me from using a domain name in the forum's paths etc. I have to look at webhosting to do it neatly it seems.
Sad

Even though you use frame forwarding to display your domain in the address bar, you can still use your domain with your YaBB forum.

You do not need to use a domain name in your forum's path settings. Since you mentioned that your forum is actually running, then leave it exactly as you have it.

So that means your forum's address is isp/~username/YaBB.pl or something like that, right?

Because frame forwarding goes to an actual address (or folder), then your domain is probably being forwarded to isp/~username and it's showing up in the address bar as your domain, right?

This is actually a good way to display your own domain name without having to pay for hosting beyond one's own isp account.

I've done this for years with a few domains even though the frame forwarding actually points to folders in another domain I own that is on our dedicated server. Still, I don't need a separate IP address for those domains.

Interestingly, this YaBB forum's domain and BoardMod's domain actually point to the same IP address, but they nonetheless show two different domains.

In any case, all you need to do is to add the following code into the index.htm or index.html page that you use for your domain, and your YaBB forum will appear just fine.

Note: Obviously, you'll need to make corrections to the code below to input the actual address of your YaBB forum. You'll also want to experiment with the width and height of the iFrame to see how your YaBB forum looks in different browsers.

After your </head> tag and any <body text> tag, add the following:
Code
Select All
<center><p><b><font size=+4>The Title Of Your Website Goes Here</font></b></p></center>

<center><p>
<iframe style="width:1000px;height:2350px;border:0px;" src="http://www.isp/~username/YaBB.pl" frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 scrolling=yes>Sorry, your browser doesn't support iframes.</iframe>
</p></center>

The code above should be before your </body> and </html> ends tags at the bottom of your index file.

Remember: The iFrame you include in the index page for your domain can be placed anywhere you want. Also, you can have the iFrame on any page of your site as well.

The point of using an iFrame is to show your YaBB forum where you want it to show while still displaying your domain name in the address bar.

Good luck!

Edited:
Edited to remove duplicate code.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2012 at 9:16am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

o0Spyder0o
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2012 at 6:02am
Post Tools
Thanks Derek. I actually have the forum running but after talking to my isp I was able to find out why my domain name wouldn't work for the forum. It uses frame forwarding so everything has to point back to my isp/~username which prevents me from using a domain name in the forum's paths etc. I have to look at webhosting to do it neatly it seems.
Sad

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2012 at 1:15am
Post Tools
No worries. If you're stuck with something, then just let us know - maybe we can help. That's what we're here for... Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2012 at 1:15am by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

o0Spyder0o
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2012 at 1:02am
Post Tools
Thanks Derek, appreciate it.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2012 at 2:32pm
Post Tools
Hi,

I think it's permissions problem on the Attachments directory since YaBB moved to a new host. It's been fixed on this forum, but it looks like the Codex was missed. I've just posted to let Corey know, so hopefully it will get sorted soon.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1336154672/0#1

IP Logged

o0Spyder0o
YaBB Newcomer

None
Images missing in the help section on Paths
May 9th, 2012 at 12:11pm
Post Tools
Anyone know where the images on this page:
yabbforum.com/codex/?num=1217810041/0
are? I keep getting a 'not found' message and could do with the info they contain.
Many thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top