Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Adminindex.pl file freezes and high server memory (Read 2,599 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Adminindex.pl file freezes and high server memory
Reply #17 - May 11th, 2012 at 8:00pm
Post Tools
I've attached a fresh NewSettings.pl to this post with the StopForumSpam edits made for you - it doesn't edit Settings_Main.pl so there's no need to worry about that.

By the way, I've tried to reproduce this with the SFS mod and can't - I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with that mod.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012 at 8:02pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

SFS_NewSettings.zip ( 16 KB | 36 Downloads )

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:47pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Are Admin/NewSettings.pl and Settings_Main.pl files customised based on the install, or are they standard files ? - ie, can I just upload new ones from a fresh download ?

These should be standard files - unless you've added mods that would have changed them. So test them without mods, then go back and add the mods back in - you will have to do this by hand as 3/4s of StopForumSpam is already installed on your current version of YaBB and I've been told that BoardMod will choke when faced with a situation like that.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #15 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 7:36pm:
Yeah - that's exactly what I said. Wink

And there you have it!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:36pm
Post Tools

Derek Barnstorm wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 7:29pm:
Take a look at your 'Post-Dependent Member Groups' in Admin Center => Member Controls => Member Groups. They should be listed there too - remove any groups that aren't needed.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
Derek, isn't it easier to do this directly in Admin Center? At least for me it is.  Wink

Derek Barnstorm wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 7:36pm:

Edited:
Edited to correct my statement. Duh!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012 at 7:39pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Post Tools
djblamire wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 6:56pm:
Although 'Full Member' and 'Junior Member' are both listed twice, everything else is listed once.

Take a look at your 'Post-Dependent Member Groups' in Admin Center => Member Controls => Member Groups. They should be listed there too - remove any groups that aren't needed.

It should look something like this in your Settings.pl file with no duplicates:

Code (Perl)
Select All
$Post{'50'} = 'Junior Member|2|stargold.gif||0|0|0|0|0|0';
$Post{'250'} = 'Senior Member|4|stargold.gif||0|0|0|0|0|0';
$Post{'500'} = 'God Member|5|starsilver.gif||0|0|0|0|0|0';
$Post{'100'} = 'Full Member|3|starblue.gif||0|0|0|0|0|0';
$Post{'-1'} = 'YaBB Newbies|1|stargold.gif||0|0|0|0|0|0'; 

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Post Tools
Just a quick  note to give thanks to Dandello for some lessons I'm learning here. Smiley

Sweet!  Smiley

IP Logged

djblamire

None
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2012 at 6:56pm
Post Tools
Thank you.  I've changed that line as suggested.  I now have a list instead of blank box as before.

Although 'Full Member' and 'Junior Member' are both listed twice, everything else is listed once.

Are Admin/NewSettings.pl and Settings_Main.pl files customised based on the install, or are they standard files ? - ie, can I just upload new ones from a fresh download ?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2012 at 6:50pm
Post Tools
my suggestion - in Settings.pl, replace the line you edited with
Code
Select All
$upload_avatargroup = ""; 

This should give you access to the labels belonging to your groups so you can make selections. (remember to put the semi-colon at the end of the line.)

I also suggest you re-upload a fresh copy Admin/NewSettings.pl and Settings_Main.pl , make sure they're working right by making changes to the avatargroup settings and looking at the Settings.pl file.  Then make the changes necessary for StopForumSpam and test again.

I'm sure there isn't anything in the StopForumSpam mod that would do this, but it's just possible a typo crept in somewhere during the editing process that caused the entries in $upload_avatargroup to be duplicated instead of overwritten.

IP Logged

djblamire

None
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Post Tools
Hi,

Thanks - I've looked at the Settings.pl file and found the following.

In the following section there are hundreds of instances of 'Full Member' followed by hundreds of instances of 'Junior Member' - Deleting these duplicates brought the file size down from 17MB to around 80KB, and seems to have resolved the issue.

$upload_avatargroup = "Administrator\,\ Global\ Moderator\,\ Supreme\ Member\,\ Senior\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\ Full\ Member\,\

..... (This continues) and is eventually followed by

Junior\ Member\,\ Junior\ Member\,\ Junior\ Member\,\ Junior\ Member\,\ Junior\ Member\,\ Junior\ Member\,\ Junior\ Member\,\ Junior\ (Which continues)....

The only mod I have on my forum is the 'StopForumSpam Mod - Version: 0.6'.

Any ideas ?? - After removing the duplicates there are now no entries showing in the 'Specify the Member Groups that are allowed to upload avatars:' section on the admin page apart from grey blank lines and 'Newbie'.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012 at 6:24pm by djblamire »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2012 at 11:25pm
Post Tools
At a cold-medicine moderated guess, I'd say something corrupted either Settings_Main.pl or NewSettings.pl so that the data that's supposed to be read by Settings_Main.pl from Settings.pl is being repeated over and over again in Settings.pl - Like every time the file changes - instead of being overwritten like it's supposed to be.

When you have a chance to look at the file, I think we'd all like to know if that's the case. Also, what mods have you added recently? That could (maybe, possibly) be one source of issues as adding a mod is about the only time NewSettings.pl should be edited by a normal (non-Perl-hacker) user.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2012 at 11:02pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 10:34pm:
NewSettings.pl should be about 60kb and that's the file that actually writes the new settings to Settings.pl.

Ah, I wondered what that file did.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2012 at 10:34pm
Post Tools
From a 2.5 POV, that settings file is way too big - my forums run at about 90 kb.

I'd back up Settings.pl and replace Admin/NewSettings.pl with a new copy. (NewSettings.pl should be about 60kb and that's the file that actually writes the new settings to Settings.pl.) . Replace  Settings.pl from a backup - (you have been doing backups, right?) Again, Settings.pl should not be much above 90kb even with lots of banned users.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2012 at 10:35pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2012 at 9:56pm
Post Tools
From a YaBB 2.4 point of view, I'm pretty sure 17 MB is way too large. Our Settings.pl file is currently 82 KB.

I think Dandello is correct; that file or the other one she mentioned probably got corrupted. Or both. I would check your local backup copies of the two files in question to see what their sizes are, and upload them to your server to replace what seems to be at least one corrupted file.

Try uploading Settings.pl first to see if that makes a difference, and then Settings_Main.pl if you think that will help.

Important: On the chance that this doesn't work, before you do this, make backup copies of those two files for a quick reference just in case you need to reload them on your site until you figure out another solution.

Good luck!

Edited:
By the way, uploading those files from a new download shouldn't hurt anything except to say that you may need to reset various items depending on how much you've changed your forum.

But again, have backup copies for a quick reference as you may need them.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2012 at 10:01pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

djblamire

None
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2012 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
Just noticed the Settings.pl file is 17.8MB in size.

I take it that isn't normal ???

There is a huge amount of e-mail addresses and IP addresses in the ban list, but even removing those, the file is still over 17MB in size.

Thanks
Daniel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top