Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The forum isn't always better on the other side. (Read 9,749 times)
Alejandro Raggio
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: The forum isn't always better on the other side.
Reply #22 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 4:29am
Post Tools
I have been waiting for a new edition for some time. I've been wondering about other software but decided to stick to YaBB for the time being. Now that I see that new people are willing to make this new edition happen, I'll be patiently waiting for it. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 4:44am
Post Tools
Thanks Ghengis -

A new crop of developers is being grown right now... And new designs are in the works.  Its not quite Jack and the Beanstalk yet. Just little sprouts...

Good Luck and thanks for your thoughts.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

genghis

Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:37am
Post Tools
I have two forums, and the larger one migrated to IPBoard since they wanted a mobile version. Since I've had time to compare the two, I wish we were back with YaBB. I've posted questions here and have always gotten help, not so there. There's features that YaBB has that are better then theirs. Like the polls - you can't close them.

I think I'll stop there and not go into a litany of this vs. them, but I just wanted the developers here to know that they have a great product and to keep on trying to improve it.

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #19 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 10:42am
Post Tools
I'm happy to post up my quick-and-dirty shell scripts, if it helps.

Basically, its a dirty tar/gz of the entire /forum folder, leaving easy restore...  ...although due to not putting forum in mtce, the yabb maintence scripts have to be run after restore.  It also housekeeps its backups.

I use a seperate script to ftp backups elsewhere.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 7:23pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:27pm:
I have psuedo-coded a couple of things for YaBB backup.

Good stuff!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #17 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Post Tools
Ahhh - this is all a bit off-topic - BUT -

I have psuedo-coded a couple of things for YaBB backup.  Both will be automated and probably provide locking. I'll be coding & testing them prolly next month - these will be for the current flat-file system, and both will be somewhat system dependent, i.e. they won't work on 'low cost shared hosting' without shell/OS access. They are aimed at larger YaBB boards on dedicated or VPS servers or account with shell/chrooted access to cron.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 7:57pm
Post Tools
That said, my old YaBB, backups were a tar&gzip, and that used to take just under 40m every hour. But it didn't lock anything (although restores needed all the maintenence functions run on them)

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 10th, 2012 at 5:02pm:
MySQL ease of backup

Whilst I agree generally, mysqldump locks all tables when running. On my SMF, it takes 8m to do a mysqldump of the forum database, so thats 8m of outage every hour. Unacceptable.

My solution is a second server, MySQL replication, and mysqldump running hourly on the 2nd server.  This 2nd server also hosts my reference/test SMF, and dev SMF.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 7:47pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 10th, 2012 at 7:42pm:
Keep backups and when you need to carry something out usually someone will suggest running a query.

If it fails or messes up, just drop the database and reinstall backup (all done in a couple of minutes).

Good to know. Thanks!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 7:42pm
Post Tools
Keep backups and when you need to carry something out usually someone will suggest running a query.

If it fails or messes up, just drop the database and reinstall backup (all done in a couple of minutes).

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Post Tools
From a layman's point of view, mySQL seems to be a better structure for data to reside, but I have no idea if that means it's the better way to optimize a membership database.

I guess what might make the better point as to what's best is to see what trend there is in managing membership databases. In other words, is this what the webmaster community at large is doing?

I'm personally more leery about mySQL than I am with a straight file structure, but in truth that's simply because I'm largely ignorant about how mySQL actually works. The result is that my inexperience about mySQL makes me fearful of it because I don't understand it.

I'm actually using mySQL now with another forum software ... testing it ... but I'm so old school about being able to touch and feel straight files that I wonder what I could do, or would do if a mySQL database got corrupted.

But then, I guess I'd be okay because of backups. Still. I'm behind the curve on this stuff. Undecided

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 6:07pm
Post Tools
Well, Perl can do that as well - but also I know there are newer and better ways for Perl to do those things than what's currently being used in YaBB. (However, properly updating and optimizing would require some major changes in how the data is structured.)

But with mySQL there's a program that's dedicated to just the data handling and so (I think) would be in a different processing space than the http server or Perl or php compilers. Also, simply putting the data within the constraints of the mySQL data structure requires the data to be properly configured before storage rather than 'fixing' obsolete structures on the fly as they are accessed (but not necessarily fixed in the data itself).

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 5:02pm
Post Tools
MySQL ease of backup and ability to run queries for all sorts of stuff, way to go  Smiley

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Post Tools
I'm very familiar with Perl, less so with PHP/mySQL but I suspect that part of the load difference between SMF and YaBB on large sites has to do with splitting the functions between two programs and process areas instead of just of having just one - no matter how many children/forks/etc that can be supported.

There's also the matter of data optimization - with mySQL there is a certain level of forced optimization in that there are certain data structures it simply won't do so you have to plan for it and think about it and come up with a decent solution.

Of course, I could be wrong.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Post Tools
Any cache drive needs to be big enough to hold all of the forum files, along with any other frequently accessed file. Linux's own caching does a reasonable job of this, given enough RAM. (If not enough RAM, Linux struggles to handle its resources, and invariably falls over).

On the same hardware, my SMF site loads pages in approx 0.8s, and YaBB site in approx 4s.  I think that shows, once the site gets to a certain size, flat files are not the answer.

My site is not the laserpointer one, mine is www.omegaowners.com Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top