Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Just a question (Read 6,460 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Just a question
Reply #21 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 1:17am
Post Tools
Chess Publishing wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 11:09pm:
Bill Myers wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 6:40am:
By the way, for those of you who don't know it yet, Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod works very well. After you install it, the questions that come with it can be edited or deleted, and you can even add your own questions. All this is easily done directly in your Admin Center.

Derek writes, "Obviously this won't do anything for human spam but will hopefully help against robots."

Actually, this can be very effective against human spam as well if you decide to ask a question that is unique to your forum.

I'd just like to confirm this last statement - when I moved my Chess Forum to 2.5.2 I was getting hundreds of potential spammers each week, but then I changed all the anti-spam questions so that they were all chess-related and now ... nothing!
I still get serious registrations, of course, but it seems that spammers can't really be bothered to search for the correct answer on the internet (and they don't seem to know how to play chess either!!) Smiley

yes this can help also more items that can help.

1. in the admin center turn on The Guardian.
in here you will see Proxy Blocking turn this on but do not turn on Auto add abusing IP addresses to .htaccess? for Proxy Blocking as the list can fill up quickly.
turn on Harvester Blocking also Scripting Blocking and as Proxy Blocking do not turn on Auto add abusing IP addresses to .htaccess? then save

2. in Referrer Security and uncheck all boxes apart from display, messageindex, logout.

3. Security Settings there turn on Activate Referrer Security Checking?

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #20 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 1:09am
Post Tools
Good to hear that it helped you. I did the same thing with the anti-spam question mod in my forum and it stopped them in their tracks.

<div class=

IP Logged

Chess Publishing

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 11:09pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 6:40am:
By the way, for those of you who don't know it yet, Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod works very well. After you install it, the questions that come with it can be edited or deleted, and you can even add your own questions. All this is easily done directly in your Admin Center.

Derek writes, "Obviously this won't do anything for human spam but will hopefully help against robots."

Actually, this can be very effective against human spam as well if you decide to ask a question that is unique to your forum.

I'd just like to confirm this last statement - when I moved my Chess Forum to 2.5.2 I was getting hundreds of potential spammers each week, but then I changed all the anti-spam questions so that they were all chess-related and now ... nothing!
I still get serious registrations, of course, but it seems that spammers can't really be bothered to search for the correct answer on the internet (and they don't seem to know how to play chess either!!) Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Just one answer - Re: Just a question
Reply #18 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:32pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:10pm:
The one difference appears to be that the non-standard install has no Google presence and so there appear to be fewer hu-bots.

That's an interesting point made about the inclusion of a Google presence. I've noticed this myself.

Generally speaking, the more of a Google relevancy your site has, which is helped by a Google presence, the more traffic you're going to get, and in turn, the more spam-bots you're going to attract (and certainly more hu-bots as well).

One of our most popular sites happens to get a lot of traffic. In the previous "Golden Days of the Internet" that translated into a generous, and steady cash flow, which of course made Uncle Sam happy. With that amount of cash flow, quarterly payments were required, and many people became "rich" off of the Internet.

Pretty much every mom and pop organization could make a lot of money back then. However, that's hardly the case anymore because the monetization of traffic now has a different dynamic, and needs to be tweaked in order to maintain a profit margin.

In any case, whether you choose to include a Google presence in your forum to add to your site's relevancy, or you choose to block it in some way, it's good to prepare for the success of your site by figuring out anti-spam measures, as well as bandwidth theft issues, etc.

With this forum, for instance, the "smart" move would be to prepare for its 2nd incarnation of success by installing anti-spam measures, and maintaining a "professional" presence in terms of moderating, and providing support.

YaBB does not have to make money now to make a lot of it later. It already has a very rich history despite bumps in the road, which has actually added to its character.

If or when YaBB pushes ahead with Corey's inspiring vision, a corporate sponsor could provide a healthy cash flow, and/or it could fork over to an IPO. Continuing without advertisements, profits to support YaBB's free forum software could be generated in a number of other ways.

YaBBforum.com could become a portal that forks off to income generating choices; other software made by YaBB's development team, and maybe even other divisions such as news and entertainment.

Apple started in a garage. Google started in a dorm room. Facebook started with a vision that did not include any plans to be profitable.

Just thinking aloud here. Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:10pm
Post Tools
I have two installations of Yabb in non-standard cgi-bin directories. The one that has registrations turned on: no appreciable difference between it and my two 'standard' yabb2 installs in terms of bot registration attempts. The one difference appears to be that the non-standard install has no Google presence and so there appear to be fewer hu-bots.

On possible anti-spam mod to look into: a 'Bad behavior' mod. Apparently one thing the bad bots have in common (and in common with Baidu) is they don't ask for header information the same way as a browser or a 'good bot' does. Just something to look into - like the 'honey pot'.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 7:30pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 10:33pm:
Its a multiple ~

A. How many of you have your YaBB installed in 'cgi-binyabb2'?

B. How much help against 'bot' registrations do you think installing YaBB's 'cgi-bin' Perl executable in a non-standard directory (like it is here with URL/community/YaBB.pl) would be??

C. How much difference would it make if the executable wasn't YaBB.pl???

D. Have any of you noticed a fall-off in the number of X-rumer type bot registrations???

Thanks to all those who reply.
Cool

A. + B. i have a forum running in /cgi-bin/ but most of my forums are running in the html Dirs and dont seem to make a difrens to my forums

C. all my forums run as YaBB.pl i know how to edit it so it can run as whatever.pl but i only had this as a test to see if it was how to do this so i cant comment on this as all run with YaBB.pl but can setup a test agen to test this out for you if you want?

D. i dono about X-rumer bots but all bots apart from Hu-bots yes i have seen fall-off in the number of bot registrations

if you need i can send you a copy of two of my forums logs ?

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #15 - May 17th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Post Tools
Heh - I learned by having many headaches in the past. I will also admit to being older than most dirt you see everyday...  and I have been a systems engineer almost 30 years now. Almost everything I know now was learned long since I got my degrees, through DIY training for the most part.  I'm also a GM on the XAMPP Server Project.

As to the matter of Perl in particular - most of what I have learned I learned right here.  Wink

So its for sure do-able.  I just try to give explanations when I think people are working without enough information.

Good Luck WestWegoman - you are doing great, and everything comes with time.   Smiley

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #14 - May 17th, 2012 at 7:01pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 4:59pm:
on many hosted Apache Servers - cgi-bin (or a folder below it) are the ONLY place YaBB will run without a custom configuration.  The reason for this is the same as the problem with a universal installer. YaBB is written in Perl which, unless you are running Perl ISAPI or the scrpt is mod_perl compatible (YaBB is not + mod_perl only runs on Apache), requires running a BINARY PROGRAM EXECUTABLE on the remote server, i.e perl.exe, and passing a plain-text script to that executable.  Apache requires special permissions on folders that allow remote execution of programs on the server (think about it).  There is a protocol for this called CGI - (Common Gateway Interface). Perl and YaBB use that framework.

Ohhhh! I have a headache now.... Only because most of this stuff is foreign to me. It often impresses me how you guys learn this stuff and run through it like its such a simple task.

Everybody has their strong spot, as for me.... better stick with my small html knowledge and water treatment. Surely dont want to overload my brain cells.

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - May 17th, 2012 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
Oddly enough, I just checked my PayPal acccount -

Guess what?

Code
Select All
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_logout 

Wink
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 6:51pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - May 17th, 2012 at 5:21pm
Post Tools
JonB, you explain it well.  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - May 17th, 2012 at 4:59pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Because YaBB.pl is accessed publicly, being in a cgi-bin directory does nothing to stop bots. It really doesn't matter where it is. A cgi-bin directory is old hat thinking, and no longer effective.

Actually Bill - on many hosted Apache Servers - cgi-bin (or a folder below it) are the ONLY place YaBB will run without a custom configuration.  The reason for this is the same as the problem with a universal installer. YaBB is written in Perl which, unless you are running Perl ISAPI or the scrpt is mod_perl compatible (YaBB is not + mod_perl only runs on Apache), requires running a BINARY PROGRAM EXECUTABLE on the remote server, i.e perl.exe, and passing a plain-text script to that executable.  Apache requires special permissions on folders that allow remote execution of programs on the server (think about it).  There is a protocol for this called CGI - (Common Gateway Interface). Perl and YaBB use that framework.

Perl, BTW, is NOT in the Apache ServerRoot or DocumentRoot -- In fact it has nothing to do with Apache, its actually a programming language environment installed on the server in the Server OS. The real issue is that the source code of YaBB AND its data would be readable if it were placed in the DocumentRoot.

Perl is the most common tool for building Control Panels and Web administrative interfaces in the Linux/Unix world. It does not need a browser to execute and Perl is almost universal on Linux boxes (It was the original P in LAMP).

Webmin (the leading Open Source Unix web admin tool) is a Perl script, many parts of cPanel and Plesk are also in Perl, so YaBB is in fine company.  As a point, the Virtual Server this forum now runs on is created and administered wirh Virtualmin and Webmin respectively. The whole infrastructure of the ISP hosting system can be built with those tools. (tools I know and love myself - all my Linux servers get Webmin, whether mine or remote).

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_alias.html#scriptalias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Gateway_Interface

OTAY???

Wink

* JonB puts away ServerGeek 101 syllabus.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 5:54pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2012 at 4:54pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 4:36pm:
I sure didn't catch that one.  Grin

Running slower in my old age

I'm pretty sure the regulars get it since a number of them already know including you of course.  Wink

For obvious reasons I remain discreet about it.  Shocked

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2012 at 4:36pm
Post Tools
I sure didn't catch that one.  Grin

Running slower in my old age

<div class=

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - May 17th, 2012 at 4:24pm
Post Tools
I don't think you got my joke. Smiley

Derek Barnstorm wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 3:19am:
great feeture

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2012 at 6:40am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 3:19am:
I guess you could say that SpamFruits is a great feeture on your site, Bill. Wink

Yes, I really like it a lot. I've always wanted to use it.

For instance, I know a forum that asks the question, "What state is at the top of this page?"

What's great about that question is that spammers in general are outside of the United States, so it's highly unlikely that any of them could get this question correct. Very clever.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top