Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Locked Topic Re: Spam Control (Read 2,596 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Attachments Issues Resolved
Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 7:13pm
There are no actions to perform.
Wow -

Quote:
P.P.S. I guess to keep JonB from blowing a gasket over what I'm doing wrong all the time, I can just quote people wherever they choose to post, and stick all of my comments with their respective quotations in the Talk It Up! section.

Imagine that, use the 'discussion area' for discussions.

Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 7:16pm by JonB »  

blah_blah_blah.PNG ( 17 KB | 71 Downloads )
blah_blah_blah.PNG

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:40pm
Bill
You want to read up on personality disorders, especially Borderline personality disorder and Narcissistic personality disorder. Basically to do with Psycopaths and Sociopaths, its a great subject.

Anyway, this is a support forum for users having trouble with their boards, we need to stop the infighting or accounts will be deleted and in all fairness it's heading in that direction as sponsors will be reading these posts. Maybe this whole thread needs deleted?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Changed topic? Re: Attachments Issues Resolved
Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:22pm
depablo wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 12:12pm:
I was not aware or not paying attention when posting. Permissions need changed if users should not be posting in this board.

As for spam prevention we should all be clear on the stance being taken and keep threads on topic.

I did the same thing; hard not to do. Of course, when it comes down to it, JonB is correct.  Wink

Why he singled me out, though, kind of makes it obvious that he's gunning for me on a personal basis versus just moderating the forum fairly.

The dark side of his human emotions kind of reminds me of police officers who will find something to ticket a particular person for no matter what just because she or he has a bug up their you know what that makes them act irrationally. Who knows what sets them off?

Wish List: Create a moderator bot that's without an irrational human side to it.  Wink

P.S. Now I'm wondering if this particular post here is off-topic. I mean, the topic's changed, as it's human nature to do so, and that can make it difficult to do the the right thing. You know; post in the correct place.

So many rules! Arrggghhhh! The rules of JonB's fiefdom are still foreign to me. Smiley

Since I've been singled out, maybe what I should do is to send my comments to him so that he can approve or disapprove them as he sees fit.

Nope! That would most likely mean there'd be no more public posts from me.  Huh

P.P.S. I guess to keep JonB from blowing a gasket over what I'm doing wrong all the time, I can just quote people wherever they choose to post, and stick all of my comments with their respective quotations in the Talk It Up! section.

Quote:
Talk It Up!
Talk about ANYTHING you want here - really-. Just remember we try to maintain a family-oriented atmosphere here. Please no advertisements or spam though.

Edited:
Edited to correct my subject line. "Changed topic? Re: Attachments Issues Resolved"

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:24pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 1:00pm
It's fine to post on this board IF the reply is on topic which happens to be 'Announcements', therefore a "that's Great that the attachment issue is resolved" is an appropriate reply.  Or 'YaBB announces YaBB Z!' and your response is "About Time".    Wink

Its much like reasonably polite conversation, if it isn't moving this (whatever) topic ahead, it does not belong here - you start a new dialogue.

Thats why we have Discussion Areas, Support Areas, Announcements etc... Right?

Smiley

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 12:12pm
I was not aware or not paying attention when posting. Permissions need changed if users should not be posting in this board.

As for spam prevention we should all be clear on the stance being taken and keep threads on topic.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Whoops! I just pulled a Captain John.
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 11:25pm
Whoops! I just pulled a Captain John. My bad.  Roll Eyes

To answer your question JonB, as long as trolls in our forum reciprocate a link back to our site, they're allowed the same freedom of speech that everyone else so rightly enjoys.

Edited:
Ah, I see that at least 4 more spam posts were made after I logged off last time. But obviously, JonB was on duty at the time, or close enough to it to have swatted them away.

And to think it would be so much easier just to install one or two of the anti-spam bots that were modded just for YaBB. Sorry modders. I guess they just aren't worthy for this forum to install.

Psssst. I happen to know that they're worthy; very worthy!  Smiley

You can lead a horse to water, but you just can't make them drink.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:09am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Here we go again. ;)
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 11:16pm
JonB,

Now you're coming across like Captain John. But at least you're nicer about it.  Wink

Like somebody else already pointed out, one of the problems that Captain John had was that he obviously never really read what others wrote. That's why he got into fights with people. He was a terrible moderator.

So please, actually read what I typed. Then we can hopefully have a healthy dialogue about it.

If it makes you feel better, the only reason I posted a reply here was because it was relevant to the spam post that was allowed online because this forum continues to be without any real spam controls.

As a moderator, of course you can move my posts where you want. Just please don't censor me as you have before. Also, please don't say that you haven't deleted any of my posts when in fact you moved at least two of them to areas that are inaccessible.

Seriously? Roll Eyes

Merv (and depablo, too)! Both of you are very bad boys! Obviously JonB singled me out again, but don't you know?

As JonB reminded me alone, "You are once again DISCUSSING in a ANNOUNCEMENTS topic."

I guess he means business with the capitalization.

So the King has spoken! We shall all be banished to the dungeon now. Okay, maybe just me. Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Bill -

A. I am happy to see you (to an extent).  I'm not surprised you took a vacation, you had said you might.

B. I see you are once again DISCUSSING in a ANNOUNCEMENTS topic.  I thought we had this conversation previously? 

C. Lets talk about professionalism and common courtesy.  They are two sides of the same coin.  If you wish to be treated professionally, you must deal with people courteously. To badger someone over something they have no control over is extremely discourteous.  In my support operations, we had a rule -- discourteous callers were nicely told to call back in a bit.  

D. I'm curious what you do with trolls on your forums?

Wink

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:14pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:28pm
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:43pm:
I mean, to complain about me asking for some real spam control while not doing anything about the spammers?

Please. Let's be real here.

You, complain about spam? Not you. Grin

Um... OK. I won't start Wink

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:06pm
depablo wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 6:07pm:
Bill if I never new better I would think you where a troll  Cool

I know what you mean. I often feel like a troll. Shocked  Smiley

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 6:07pm
Bill if I never new better I would think you where a troll  Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Spam Control
Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:43pm
lanshan75 wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:02am:
Hello,everybody,I am just a new member of this forum,I want to make more friends here,I hope you can like me.

Obviously a spammer, so ...

For a quick reference as of this post according to Stop Forum Spam, the following had been reported:

Quote:
Results

Found 16 entries for "lanshan75"

As follows:
Code
Select All
Results

Found 16 entries for "lanshan75"

Export this search result list as: XML - CSV - json - phpserial
Date 	IP Address 	Username 	Email 	Location 	Evidence
25-May-12 10:49	112.123.134.162	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	China
25-May-12 07:54	112.123.134.162	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	China
17-May-12 23:23	184.22.237.117	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
17-May-12 06:52	222.231.57.16	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	Republic of Korea	Evidence
14-May-12 09:38	112.123.134.162	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	China
14-May-12 07:53	184.22.237.117	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States	Evidence
14-May-12 07:26	184.22.237.115	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
11-May-12 12:19	184.22.237.117	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
11-May-12 05:18	184.22.237.117	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
9-May-12 06:48	198.148.99.16	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
30-Apr-12 06:30	184.82.226.249	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
28-Apr-12 08:57	69.197.184.38	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
28-Apr-12 08:37	69.197.184.38	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
28-Apr-12 08:33	69.197.184.38	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States
28-Apr-12 05:48	69.197.184.32	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	United States	Evidence
26-Apr-12 09:12	112.123.134.162	lanshan75	lmj19900731@gmail.com	China

Suggestion: Use Carsten's SpamFruits mod, and/or Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod. Wink

Edited:
Edited to include an obvious notation:

This post is not directed to JonB since he's made it clear that he doesn't see a problem allowing spam to be posted in this forum, and as such, he has no intention of installing any anti-spam mods to try to stop it.

So to anyone else who cares about this, if there is anyone else with authority who may be monitoring this forum, please consider, or reconsider doing something about spammers who shouldn't be allowed to post in YaBB's showcase forum.

Smiley

By the way, on the issue of beating this thing to death, I don't think it's particularly egregious to post 1 complaint for about every 8 or 10 spam posts that are allowed online without any real attempt to control it.

Whatever is being done is obviously not working. In this case, another 8 spam posts have been allowed online ... once again ... and that's just what I caught.

I mean, to complain about me asking for some real spam control while not doing anything about the spammers?

Please. Let's be real here. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:23pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top