Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Safari on Lion - catcha image doesn't show (Read 3,390 times)
mwra
YaBB Newcomer

Safari on Lion - catcha image doesn't show
Jun 5th, 2012 at 11:23am
Post Tools
[Using YaBB v2.2.1]

Have verified a report of captcha problems from people trying to register on our forum with Safari v5.1.7 that they don't see a correct captcha image. Testing here it's OK with current Chrome/Firefox on OS 10.6.8 and 10.7.4. Safari 5.1.7 is ok on 10.6.8 but fails on 10.7.4. FWIW, it's OK in IE8 from a PC.

Safari 5.1.7 on OS 10.7.4

Chrome 19 on OS 10.7.4

Basically all the other browser/OS combinations look like the second grab.

What could be amiss here.  I've tried fiddling with the forum setting for the captcha but whatever I try it just doesn't work in safari on Lion.

Any suggestions welcomed!

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Safari on Lion - catcha image doesn't show
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 1:05pm
Post Tools
I hate to state the obvious -- its a rendering engine problem with the browser.  That means for testing you should return the CAPTCHA settings to the default (for starters) and see if the image renders at all.

You board/forum is sending the exact same code to all the clients.

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

mwra
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 3:44pm
Post Tools
I did try dialling back the settings and it seemed no better. So it's a bug in Safari/Lion then?

It just seems odd that others aren't reporting this problem - there must be other sites using captchas with Lion+Safari users registering.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 4:36pm
Post Tools
Quote:
there must be other sites using captchas with Lion+Safari users registering.

To be honest, I'm not all that surprised. Mac's are a small percentage and not all Mac users are on Safari - you add in the 'Lion' factor + YaBB + CAPTCHA @ registration -- that's a lot of "If and Only If"s run together.

I was going to suggest you try a different browser on the same OS version, BUT - you have already done that  Wink

It might be worth reporting on Apple's bug system, as that is their most recent browser version, and this is, AFAIK, a first report.  I'm quite sure Derek Barnstorm is on Mac's and LoonyPandora as well, I think if there was a previous problem, they would have run into it.

Good Luck
Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 4:47pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

mwra
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:53pm
Post Tools
Thanks. Guess it's time to log my first Safari bug.

FWIW, the forums for a Mac-only app and most users (from the logs) do use Safari and are on the current OS (Lion), so the configuration in context is far from unusual. I accept though, that it is probably less usual across the YaBB installation footprint.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Doing away with a captcha image
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Post Tools
Regarding the use of Captcha, since that can now be easily defeated, and it's kind of a pain to make users jump through that hoop to register anyway, admins would most surely be better off simply using an anti-spam mod or two for registrations.

I've tested both Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod and Carsten's SpamFruits mod to know that both of those are very effective. Either one of them is all that's needed to stop spam-bots (or use both).

As for hu-bots, if you test it yourself, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised to find that hu-bots are few and far between if at all. I'm still surprised by this.

Over hundreds of thousands of spam-bot registration attempts have been stopped cold in our forum; not a single one successfully registered while I was using an anti-spam mod (even after I made a personal choice to change to a different anti-spam mod).

Currently, while I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, our forum now allows for immediate access. We don't even require email validation. Only one hu-bot has registered during this time, and I luckily noticed this before any spam could be posted.

In any case, especially in forums, captcha has become old hat in terms of stopping spam-bots.

Good luck!  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

mwra
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:09pm
Post Tools
Thanks for that well-considered summary. As it is I'm primary admin for the forum but with no access beyond the admin UI (and on v2.2.1) but I'll take a look the suggested mods.  I'm certainly not wedded to captchas - it's just what i have to hand.  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Doing away with captcha images
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Post Tools
I very gratefully used captcha to stop spammers, and it was a very effective tool for a good bit of time. Unfortunately, because captcha has been easily defeated, using it simply amounts to an irritation for the user.

My hat's off to both Carsten, and to Derek.  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:19pm
Post Tools
Yes, I have the problem on my board too.

Anyone having this issue, please view the page in Safari, then click in the menu: SafariReport Bugs to Apple.  The more bug reports they get, the sooner it will be fixed.  If you want to be a real trooper, submit it also to http://bugreport.apple.com

Thanks!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
This is now entered into Apple Bug Reporter.  Bug ID# 11741092.

When reporting your bug to Apple, you could say "I understand this may already have been report as Bug ID# 11741092".

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:43pm
Post Tools
I'm glad this bug has been reported. Thanks Jerry!

Regarding the use of CAPTCHA, since it's pretty easily defeated these days in forums, my recommendation is not to use it at all.

Jerry, since you're using version 2.4 like I am, I can happily confirm that the installation of an anti-spam mod will stop spam-bots cold, so you won't have to use the CAPTCHA verification code at all.

Happy YaBBing! †Cheesy

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:51pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 8:06pm
Post Tools
By the way, Jerry. You might feel good to know that the CAPTCHA verification code in your forum shows up just fine when I use Safari on a PC. But then, in a forum for MAC users, I guess that doesn't count for much. Hmmmm.

Interestingly, while the CAPTCHA verification code in your forum doesn't show up while using an iPad, it shows up just fine using an iPod. Go figure.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:47am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:43pm:
I'm glad this bug has been reported.
Apple responded that my Bug ID# 11741092 is a Duplicate of original Bug ID# 11560137. †That's OK, because the more duplicates they get the sooner they fix it.

Regarding the use of CAPTCHA, since it's pretty easily defeated these days in forums, my recommendation is not to use it at all.
I get a handful of spams every few days, but I presumed it was because spammers employ people in low-wage countries to read the CAPTCHAs and register.

Jerry, since you're using version 2.4 like I am, I can happily confirm that the installation of an anti-spam mod will stop spam-bots cold.
Please give me a hyperlink, Bill. †I cannot find any anti-spam mods for YaBB 2.4.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 4:14am
Post Tools
This is Spam Fruits for 2.5. It works on 2.4.

Spam Fruits mod

This is the anti spam question mod. It is also for 2.5 but may work on 2.4. I think Bill has it on his 2.4 forum

Anti Spam Question Mod

You will notice a big difference.

You can see them in action here

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:37am
Post Tools
Jerry Krinock wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:47am:
Apple responded that my Bug ID# 11741092 is a Duplicate of original Bug ID# 11560137. †That's OK, because the more duplicates they get the sooner they fix it.

You're probably right. Thanks again for reporting it since that issue should be resolved.

I get a handful of spams every few days, but I presumed it was because spammers employ people in low-wage countries to read the CAPTCHAs and register.

Those of us who have installed anti-spam mods have found that almost all spam comes from spam-bots, which either of the two anti-spam mods will stop cold. If you try either or both of them out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective they are.

Please give me a hyperlink, Bill. †I cannot find any anti-spam mods for YaBB 2.4.

Sorry about that Jerry. I should have provided those links. Thankfully, Merv referenced them here in his post.

I can confirm that Carsten's SpamFruit mod also works with YaBB 2.4 just as Merv mentioned.

And as Carsten states here, "The mod will work in 2.4 too."

As for Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod (written for YaBB 2.5), I can also confirm that it works for YaBB 2.4 (as Derek wrote here, "... it's just a search string or two which are different").

Surprisingly, this forum still hasn't installed any anti-spam mods even though spam-bots continue to post spam. I used to be embarrassed for YaBB, but others have convinced me just to laugh about it like they do.
I have to admit, YaBB's decision not to install an anti-spam mod is pretty amusing. †Smiley

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:41am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools