Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Posting in the right topic. (Read 1,925 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Posting in the right topic.
Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:26pm
Post Tools
Sorry; couldn't reply in the normal way since the topic in question seems to have been locked.

In any case ...

From this post:
Quote:
Bill
You want to read up on personality disorders, especially Borderline personality disorder and Narcissistic personality disorder. Basically to do with Psycopaths and Sociopaths, its a great subject.

It is a great subject. That's one of the ways I was able to recognize it right from the start; by reading about it, and researching it.

Pretty interesting stuff.  Wink

From this post:
Quote:
Anyway, this is a support forum for users having trouble with their boards, we need to stop the infighting or accounts will be deleted and in all fairness it's heading in that direction as sponsors will be reading these posts. Maybe this whole thread needs deleted?

Right. There are a few of us involved here including the moderator, and that's when things can get out of control in ways that nobody intended.

JonB finally did what I would have done in the beginning (and as I've seen him do elsewhere as it should be done); just moderate the forum by moving posts/topics to a more appropriate area as needed. It's a YaBB feature that makes moderating a relatively easy task.

I'm guessing that feature is used quite often by many moderators.  Wink

I think for the most part, posting in the wrong topic is something that happens inadvertently, i.e., there's rarely ever any ill will going on; just the human nature of having an ongoing conversation that loses its focus on the topic that started it all.

Remember that experiment of human nature in which one person starts a topic, and then as it gets whispered from one person to another, the topic is entirely different in the end?

It's kind of like that with online topics. Roll Eyes  Smiley

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:36pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Posting in the right topic.
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:56pm
Post Tools
Quote:
and then as it gets whispered from one person to another, the topic is entirely different in the end?

Communication in the trenches first world war:
"pass it on, send reinforcements we are going to advance"

By the time it gets to the end of the trench

"Send three and fourpence we are going to a dance"
Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:58pm by depablo »  

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 10:56pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:56pm:
Communication in the trenches first world war:
"pass it on, send reinforcements we are going to advance"

By the time it gets to the end of the trench

"Send three and fourpence we are going to a dance"
Roll Eyes

Great example, and funny, too (this among one explanation).  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Double memberships!
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 11:09pm
Post Tools
Since we're just talking things up, and it kind of relates in a split personality kind of way (at least with me as I explain it below) ...

Has anyone noticed that BloodyRue seems to always be logged on even though he's not actually online all the time in the forum?

I wonder if what seems to be happening to him is what happened to me when this forum literally gave me a split personality with two active accounts? Same name. Same address.

For quite a while on the old server (the bad one) I could never log off. Or more accurately, if I didn't remember to set my profile session to expire, which I would almost always forget to do, my profile kept me online. Logging off manually didn't work.

And for all that time, the only way I could post was to use my new/old account. Weird stuff.

Thankfully, this corrected itself when YaBB moved over to this wonderfully fast new server.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:44am
Post Tools
Couldn't post in the other thread as well since it has been locked.

Not sure why since it has been moved. Seems that... Well Nevermind.

Anyways...

WOW, Depablo...
Did you call poor Lil Bill a psychopath in that other thread. I couldn't help but laugh my you know what off while catching up on the posts. Between that and Bill expressing his feelings, my co-workers probably think I'm nuts cause I'm sitting here laughing like I've gone nuts.

Anyhow, once again... Welcome back Bill. I've missed the comedy. I think I'll start a forum where we can all verbally abuse each other without moderation. Smiley Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 4:28am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
All of us are pretty much the same.
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:49pm
Post Tools

Merv, like others have been with me, depablo has actually been very supportive. I didn't think he was calling me a nut; just pointing out the obvious in terms of what was actually going on.

But maybe my narcissism won't allow me to see this for what it really is.  Wink

Seriously, I appreciate constructive criticism. Taken with a grain of salt, it can be very helpful.

Interestingly, pretty much everyone who regularly participates in an online forum has a Type-A personality. The manifestation of such can come across as narcissism when in fact many people are just being abundantly social.

Narcissistically, I can tell you that I know a lot about how a mind works because I've written about the subject numerous times in various productions. That's involved a lot of research.

Ironically, YaBB's development, the way it operates this forum, and the behind-the-scenes rumors about it all are a fascinating look into the most active of minds.

You want to talk about Type-A personalities? Narcissism? Exhibiting a Napoleon Complex?

In truth, any or all of these personalities can be seen in the mirror, but they're also all around us.  Wink

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:59pm
Post Tools
Actually I have been doing a lot of reading on personality disorders and social engineering. Not hacking but the way certain groups of people can manipulate others to believe what they are being told is true. Purchased a fair few books on the subject and read a bit online.

Take a look into the mind of a Sociopath then ask yourself if you have ever came across a similar person. I hope Bill never thought I implied he was a Psycopath  Grin

Interesting Link

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Embracing the truth!
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:29pm
Post Tools

From you depablo I only thought you were making a good point as you often do, so no, I didn't take it in a negative way. But thanks for the clarification.

The way you wrote what you did was perfectly written because it was what it is; a truth that deserves to be addressed.

Regarding this link that you provided, wow! Very eye-opening, and so, so true.

I happen to love the truth because it can be so cleansing, especially when it's meant to be constructive, and it improves what is otherwise a sad situation.

YaBB's future success will depend on how much truth it accepts from its users.

Rather than attack the truth, and become sociopathic in its thinking, which manifests into being condescending to it's members, YaBB should embrace the truth, and make note of it to improve its operations.

Long live the truth, and long live YaBB!  Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:25pm
Post Tools
I didn't actually think Depablo might be serious. I was just doing a little cutting up. I actually found the posts to be funny and thought I would chime in myself. Smiley

I may have to check out those articles tho.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 4:04pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:25pm:

I may have to check out those articles tho.

Enlightening articles, that's for sure.

To be fair about how this forum is moderated, it's not particularly uncommon for forum moderators to take on a dictatorial role versus one that should be more professional, and user friendly. Still, it shouldn't be happening here.

Just today I read a post by a YaBB admin that on the face of it might seem friendly enough, but in reality it was sadly condescending. For the person seeking help, I empathized, and felt their pain.

On the other hand, the person who sought help is experienced in this forum, so maybe they've learned how to deal with it.

Still, it's sad for any moderator in a support forum to be condescending.

"If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."

A lot of people have obviously gotten out of this support forum's kitchen.  Sad

To anyone who may be new to this forum, the bottom line is that YaBB is probably one of the best forums you can use. Don't sweat the condescending attitude that will creep in from time to time. It's human nature.

Besides, for the most part, you'll get the help you need, and it will be given to you in a supportive way.

By the way, at some point when this forum stops condoning bad behavior from its moderators, and people seeking help feel good about their 1st-time experience here, YaBB will most surely grow exponentially with repeat visitors, and it will be hugely successful again.

I'm still hopeful.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB Support Forum versus private forums
Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 4:41pm
Post Tools
YaBB Support Forum versus private forums

To clarify, the administration and moderation in YaBB's own support forum should really be a step above private forums.

I hope that makes sense without explaining it further.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo