Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Direct Entry to Forum (Read 3,522 times)
Attila

Direct Entry to Forum
Jun 8th, 2012 at 6:18pm
Post Tools
I would like to be able to go drectly to my forum login page, or better yet right to the forum from a saved user/pass login. Can this be done?

I am users personal webspace provided by my ISP, it is a linus setup that should support the forum. My command line is  "users.host.ca/myforum". Can yabb.pl be renamed and put right in the root so the forum opens without an index page? If so would all the files in the cgi-bin go directly in the root?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Direct Entry to Forum
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 11:56pm
Post Tools
Instead of renaming or moving anything, try redirects from your web root index. (Look at the 'index.html' files in each of the various YaBB cgi-bin directories.)
Code
Select All
<html>
	<head>
		<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=YaBB.pl" />
	</head>
	<body>
		<a href="YaBB.pl">Go to the site forum.</a>
	</body>
</html>

Needless to say, change the urls to reflect where YaBB.pl actually is in relation to where the index file actually is.

OR use htaccess to redirect traffic to the location of YaBB.pl (but the redirect solution should work just fine.).
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2012 at 11:58pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 1:26am
Post Tools
"Can yabb.pl be renamed and put right in the root so the forum opens without an index page? If so would all the files in the cgi-bin go directly in the root? "

Both of these are answered the same -- basically "no".

A. The YaBB license does not support renaming 'YaBB.pl' without a license purchase.
http://www.yabbforum.com/licenses.php

B.  There are both security and technical reasons why the cgi-bin folder is used for the YaBB executables and data, particularity on Apache servers.

1. - Basically, the security reason is you would expose YaBB's data.

2. The technical reason is that YaBB uses Perl as an executable, and that requires a different level of permissions for the folders to work correctly within Apache. It's called the CGI protocol -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Gateway_Interface

Dandello's on the right track with a re-direct.

Good Luck with your YaBB
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 5:32pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 9th, 2012 at 1:26am:
"Can yabb.pl be renamed and put right in the root so the forum opens without an index page? If so would all the files in the cgi-bin go directly in the root? "

Both of these are answered the same -- basically "no".

A. The YaBB license does not support renaming 'YaBB.pl' without a license purchase.
http://www.yabbforum.com/licenses.php

B.  There are both security and technical reasons why the cgi-bin folder is used for the YaBB executables and data, particularity on Apache servers.

1. - Basically, the security reason is you would expose YaBB's data.

2. The technical reason is that YaBB uses Perl as an executable, and that requires a different level of permissions for the folders to work correctly within Apache. It's called the CGI protocol -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Gateway_Interface

Dandello's on the right track with a re-direct.

Good Luck with your YaBB
Cool

The only exception to this rule are sites managed on cPanel systems, where there is no CGI-BIN folder and everything is in the main Public-HTML folder. But if you are going to run multiple sites on cPanel, each site is going to need its own folder within Public-HTML.

cPanel installations are pretty straight forward simple but wonky when compared to other systems installations. I wrote the OSX, Linux and cPanel (manual) installations codexes a long time ago and are still there.

Like JonB says, moving your CGI-BIN to Public-HTML is a security risk. I would not do this myself and I experimented on YaBB enough to know its cutting edge limits- go past that and you will be bleeding.

There is a away in modifying your webserver's config file to make YaBB.pl come up as a main index page, but:
1) you screw up your webserver doing that

2) YaBB.pl may not be able to process inputs because it needs the http://www.yoursite.com/YaBB.pl?Function part to work and doing this would kill that.

Best to leave is as is and at worst is you need something, Donatello has the right fix.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Post Tools
Donatello was a mutated turtle (or painter). Dandello was the first feline victim of a transporter accident.  Roll Eyes

And I have my YaBB installs on a cPanel set-up and they're STILL in the cgi-bin. It depends on how the host set up the installation.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2012 at 9:53pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jun 9th, 2012 at 9:52pm:
Donatello was a mutated turtle (or painter). Dandello was the first feline victim of a transporter accident.  Roll Eyes

Touché Mister Frauen Dings Cat.

Dandello wrote on Jun 9th, 2012 at 9:52pm:
And I have my YaBB installs on a cPanel set-up and they're STILL in the cgi-bin. It depends on how the host set up the installation.

That is strange but must be true like you said for hosts that uses cgi-bin folders in cPanel. Personally, I never saw one on cPanel sites like Host Gator.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
To clarify: Ms. Pussycat

Wink

IP Logged

WebMe

None
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:13pm
Post Tools
An htaccess redirect was mentioned above.
You could simply put the following in a .htaccess file in the root of your YaBB install:
Code
Select All
DirectoryIndex YaBB.pl 

We offer YaBB compatible hosting. Ask for a free trial.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:31pm
Post Tools
WebMe   Questioning

A. - Are you indirectly suggesting that it is OK to install the 'cgi-bin/yabb2' folders contents into the DocumentRoot of an Apache server (where no other considerations have been made by the host)?

OR

B. - do you mean that you could place your suggested .htaccess in the cgi-bin/yabb2 folder?

The OP's question was how to have YaBB open instead of the index document for the Apache DocumentRoot.  That requires a redirect or Alias, as far as I know.  

I have been wrong at least once before too.  Grin

Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:32pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 4:02pm:

Wink

Since I inadvertently made this same mistake, I picked up on that as well.  Smiley

But to be clear, our Dandello is female while that Dandello is/was male. I typed "is" since that Dandello evidently "refused to rematerialize, leaving only his meow behind."

I mean, it's been said that felines do have 9 lives, right? Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Post Tools
I'm sure he's out there in the ether somewhere waiting for Scotty to get his transporter to work right.  Grin (Or maybe he's happy tormenting Admiral Archer's Beagle in ether-space.)

IP Logged

Elfen

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:32pm:
JonB wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 4:02pm:

Wink

Since I inadvertently made this same mistake, I picked up on that as well.  Smiley

OOPS! Sorry!

Not my first time making mistakes based on gender...

As for my first statement... its a reference to an old Tom and Jerry cartoons where they were, I believe, part of the French Musketeers pilfering the royal dinner table... Tom got his head chopped off in the end of that cartoon.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 7:41pm
Post Tools
Elfen wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:27pm:
OOPS! Sorry!

Not my first time making mistakes based on gender...

I once inadvertently referred to Dandello as a man when I should have realized she's a woman. After all, she's much more socially adept, naturally smarter, and thoroughly in tune with what others are saying, which are traits that many of us harder gender types lack.

Okay, I can only speak for myself.  Roll Eyes

I seem to remember reading somewhere that women are always using both sides of their brain versus us men who only use one side or the other at any given time.

Uh, give me a moment while I switch to the other side of my brain to confirm this.

Still trying to switch ...

still trying ...

There we go!

Yep! That's what I remember.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:59pm
Post Tools
Just don't ask to borrow my virtual Uzi or my real chop saw.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools