Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic YaBB next edition??? (Read 2,661 times)
Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Re: YaBB next edition???
Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 12:02am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 11th, 2012 at 2:55pm:
Okay, so I'm like a kid in a toy store right now because I just caught an online glimpse of JeffG who was/is one of YaBB's senior developers. Impressively, his work on YaBB began when he was just a teenager.

Back over the years it is amazing how many of our developers were quite young.  When YaBB was changing rapidly it was often the comment, "Sorry, have an assignment on at present so will get to it as soon as possible." Or, "Am in class, will look when I get home". (Mind you we never had computers or mobile phones in class rooms when I was a boy. Then again we also wrote on a slate.  Grin Grin Grin Grin )

Like everyone though, most kids grow up, get married have kids and life becomes more complicated and time for pleasures like developing this great forum get less and less.

I know one of our greatest developers in Hong Kong not long ago started his first job.  He too still visits and contributes where possible to YaBB 3 Development but not as before.

I am not sure though that Perl has the excitement for the young like it used to and Perl Developers are not as plentiful as before.  They are out there though but getting them to participate is another thing.

I remember in my early days of YaBB being able to post a request for a change and often getting a response within ten to fifteen minutes.  Those were the days.

I wish I myself had the knowledge to contribute to the further development of YaBB, but alas I am just a humble supporter and user Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 2:55pm
Post Tools
Okay, so I'm like a kid in a toy store right now because I just caught an online glimpse of JeffG who was/is one of YaBB's senior developers. Impressively, his work on YaBB began when he was just a teenager. I always find talent like his to be very inspiring.

For me, as I feel about Corey when I see him online, seeing this guy is like logging into a forum when Bill Gates is online.

Grant it, JeffG hasn't posted in this forum since last December, and then in December of 2005 before that, but still, I like that he checked in at all.

On JeffG's own site he states, "As one of the senior developers I made some significant contributions to the core of YaBB 2 and 3. YaBB is written in Perl and was the first free and open-source forum system."

Also, as I just rediscovered, LoonyPandora evidently logged on just last week even though he hasn't posted anything since October of 2010. He's one of the three YaBB administrators for this forum.

Why the excitement? My head in the clouds thinking is that one or more of YaBB's developers will end up giving Corey an assist in caring for this site, and in cleaning up this forum with some active management beyond the swatting of spam-bots by just one admin/moderator whose hands are tied in doing what's needed here. But at least JonB is doing what he can, and without him this forum would be dead in the water; completely; unless or until Corey brings in another admin/moderator.

I'm hoping that the public face of YaBB will get a bit of a facelift, which I might add is really only minor surgery since it would be relatively easy to fix what's needed. That is, if Corey does what he's done before, and gets things cooking around here again.

I'm reminded of the time last year when this forum was down for about 11 days, and I sent Corey a message about it. I'd like to think that others had contacted him about it, too, but in any case, he took care of things right away, and he got this forum online again.

I haven't contacted Corey this time around because what's going on isn't exactly an emergency, although the state of affairs here still remains pretty sad. I figure that since he checks in from time to time, albeit not frequently, he can do something about what's going on if he feels so inclined.

Otherwise, this forum will remain in disrepair.  Cry

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2012 at 3:00pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:17pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:45pm:
"I am working on making this a reality"

YaBB 3.0 is a ways off (if you are describing a MySQL version) - at least in my opinion.  Subforums are a valuable addition, and the new theme/skin is pretty nice. Some bug fixes are needed, and a few things need to be ditched for now. (Poll coming), and needless to say (department of dead horses) -- one or more anti-spam mods should be available as built-in options (ditto on poll).  Wink

Several folks have been helpful in tuning my ideas, and I thank them for their feedback.   Smiley I have a set of YouTube videos that go through pretty much all the issues, and how to address them.  I will post links for them.

All this is a JonB opinion only.

Cool

well if you need input and testing let me know what you need and im there  Smiley  Grin

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Post Tools

and needless to say (department of dead horses) -- one or more anti-spam mods should be available as built-in options ...

Beaming with new admiration for JonB. Way to go! Smiley

Now if you can only add those anti-spam mods to this forum, I'll be beaming even more (as I already know others will, too). I want to see the old JonB back online here, the guy who always listened to us, and who took real action to follow up on a consensus opinion about something.

It's inspiring to see good leadership in action. This will make YaBB great; not just good. Cool

I have a set of YouTube videos that go through pretty much all the issues, and how to address them.  I will post links for them.

On that subject, it would be great for YaBB to include how to videos with their instructions so that regular guys like me can install, and use YaBB more successfully. Instead of people moving away from YaBB in favor of other forums simply because they can't install YaBB, or use it the way they'd like, there would be a lot more people installing, and using YaBB.

Making YaBB a more comprehensive package is what the masses really need.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:24pm
Post Tools

YaBB 3.0 is a ways off (if you are describing a MySQL version) - at least in my opinion.  Subforums are a valuable addition, and the new theme/skin is pretty nice. Some bug fixes are needed, and a few things need to be ditched for now. (Poll coming), and needless to say (department of dead horses) -- one or more anti-spam mods should be available as built-in options (ditto on poll).  Wink

Several folks have been helpful in tuning my ideas, and I thank them for their feedback.   Smiley I have a set of YouTube videos that go through pretty much all the issues, and how to address them.  I will post links for them.

Cool

Anything is progress at the moment Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:28pm
Post Tools
and needless to say (department of dead horses) -- one or more anti-spam mods should be available as built-in options

I like  Smiley

<div class=

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:45pm
Post Tools

Several folks have been helpful in tuning my ideas, and I thank them for their feedback.   Smiley I have a set of YouTube videos that go through pretty much all the issues, and how to address them.  I will post links for them.

Cool
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:47pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 10:11am
Post Tools
I noticed that, and assumed that, once again, YaBB3 has been pushed beyond the foreseeable future, and YaBB 2.6 would be released as a bugfix of what is running here now.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
YaBB next edition???
Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:30am
Post Tools
I see that under the 'YaBB Developement' section there is now a 'YaBB Next Edition (2.X)' section.

I don't think this was there earlier. Could it be that YaBB has a surprise in the making? Something to present us with before a complete release of YaBB 3?

I see that this forum says next edition but I thought it was YaBB 3. Are they not the same? Did I miss something?

Hmmmm   Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:33am by WestwegoMan »  
<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top