Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
 25 Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken (Read 18,104 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 12:15am
Post Tools
Oh, yeah, you asked about moving to a Linux server. Like I indicated there are three functional (for the user, not the admin) differences between a Win based server and a *nix based server - one is paths, one is permissions and the last one is Windows is case-insensitive on file names and Linux is case-sensitive, so file names can mess you up.

My testbed server is Apache 2 on XP. My online server is Apache 2 on Linux.
Permissions, paths and capitalization - otherwise I have exactly the same YaBB running on both. (Actually, I have about 5 versions running on both.)

So you could (I've done it.) put your Win version in maintenance, zip it up, unzip it to the proper places on the new server, edit Paths.pl to your new paths, set your folder and file permissions  and be good to go.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Post Tools
Line 149 in Security.pl is an email ban check. Make sure you're not using wildcards or just domains in the banned emails list. The banned email domains list should just have the domain names.

Since it's on Windows, you don't need to worry about Permissions - that's a *nix thing and reflects a fundamental difference in how Windows (prior to Win7) and *nix view users. (Me bad - IIS permissions exist.)

The path statements for Windows are a little different than on *nix systems too- With Windows, you start with the drive letter and base directory.

A YaBB base path in Windows might look like :D:/websites/bigapricot/yabbfiles
and on a *nix set up it might look something like usr/home/bigapricot/yabbfiles

The 2.5 templates ARE gray, but you should be able to use your old 2.4 default.css and templates with just a few tweaks (I've done that.)

But I'd look at your banned emails and blocked email domains lists and then at the blocked member names. (Your error says it's a
'mail.ru'  email address that messing up Security.pl but it's possible some bright cookie used that for their member name.)
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:47pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:38pm
Post Tools
Hi mate, thanks for reply.
This wasn't an FTP upload, so ASCII/Binary doesn't come into it.  In windows, you just logon to the server, download the zip file and overwrite the newer files.  Nothing at all but the updated files has changed.

But I am interested in a new install?  I have web space at UK2 - I'd love to move the forum off the windows server and host it at UK2 instead (which would be unix).  If I can do this with a fresh install, and just copy the members/messages/menus, then I'd definitely like to do this if it's simple enough, but I know nothing whatsoever about unix.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:28pm
Post Tools
Check forum start date, should be before first registration.

Check paths, although Im lost on windows installs.

Did you upload in Binary / ASC11?

You could have done a fresh install and got it working, then transferred members, messages etc.

someone with more knowledge will be along soon  Wink

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:07pm
Post Tools
thank you depablo!

I have a vague recollection from years ago that this used to happen, and was solved by a copy of the yabb.pl file called nph-yabb.pl.  But, this is still there - all I did was copy the upgrade files over the top of what was there, so everything that wasn't changed is still as it was.  Logging in as admin shows all the boards and messages are still there, but as I am getting more user feedback, it doesn't look like anyone else can logon.

I also note that the 2.5 upgrade has relinked to a 2.4 Yabb graphic that I wasn't using at all, and it has also posted some news items about "you have upgraded to the latest version of 2.4" yet at the bottom of the screen the version says 2.5, and the admin centre says I am running the latest version,

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:00pm
Post Tools
For Info of JonB or others:

http://www.sausagenet.org/yabb.pl

When registering and accept agreement you get
"CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Post Tools
Trying to let you know the forum address....

It's doubleyou dot sausagenet dot org

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Jun 10th, 2012 at 9:45pm
Post Tools
Hi
I just applied Yabb 2.5 upgrade files over the top of a working 2.4 forum and it seems to have broken it.  I have a backup of the whole 2.4 directory, but if I can fix the 2.5 this would be better Smiley

Windows 2003, IIS6, the 2.4 and all previous versions have been running fine for around the last 10 years.

-It is no longer possible to register:
"The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."

-Untrapped Error :
Quantifier follows nothing in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/* <-- HERE @mail.ru/ at ./Sources/Security.pl line 149

-It tells me there are hundreds of member applications waiting to be approved, but the link takes me to an empty list.

-The layout has looks wrong - gone all grey and horrible.

Can anyone suggest anything to start trying, before I revert to the backup?

Thanks in advance!

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top