Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken (Read 20,908 times)
sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Jun 10th, 2012 at 9:45pm
Post Tools
Hi
I just applied Yabb 2.5 upgrade files over the top of a working 2.4 forum and it seems to have broken it.  I have a backup of the whole 2.4 directory, but if I can fix the 2.5 this would be better Smiley

Windows 2003, IIS6, the 2.4 and all previous versions have been running fine for around the last 10 years.

-It is no longer possible to register:
"The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."

-Untrapped Error :
Quantifier follows nothing in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/* <-- HERE @mail.ru/ at ./Sources/Security.pl line 149

-It tells me there are hundreds of member applications waiting to be approved, but the link takes me to an empty list.

-The layout has looks wrong - gone all grey and horrible.

Can anyone suggest anything to start trying, before I revert to the backup?

Thanks in advance!

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Post Tools
Trying to let you know the forum address....

It's doubleyou dot sausagenet dot org

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:00pm
Post Tools
For Info of JonB or others:

http://www.sausagenet.org/yabb.pl

When registering and accept agreement you get
"CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:07pm
Post Tools
thank you depablo!

I have a vague recollection from years ago that this used to happen, and was solved by a copy of the yabb.pl file called nph-yabb.pl.  But, this is still there - all I did was copy the upgrade files over the top of what was there, so everything that wasn't changed is still as it was.  Logging in as admin shows all the boards and messages are still there, but as I am getting more user feedback, it doesn't look like anyone else can logon.

I also note that the 2.5 upgrade has relinked to a 2.4 Yabb graphic that I wasn't using at all, and it has also posted some news items about "you have upgraded to the latest version of 2.4" yet at the bottom of the screen the version says 2.5, and the admin centre says I am running the latest version,

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:28pm
Post Tools
Check forum start date, should be before first registration.

Check paths, although Im lost on windows installs.

Did you upload in Binary / ASC11?

You could have done a fresh install and got it working, then transferred members, messages etc.

someone with more knowledge will be along soon  Wink

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:38pm
Post Tools
Hi mate, thanks for reply.
This wasn't an FTP upload, so ASCII/Binary doesn't come into it.  In windows, you just logon to the server, download the zip file and overwrite the newer files.  Nothing at all but the updated files has changed.

But I am interested in a new install?  I have web space at UK2 - I'd love to move the forum off the windows server and host it at UK2 instead (which would be unix).  If I can do this with a fresh install, and just copy the members/messages/menus, then I'd definitely like to do this if it's simple enough, but I know nothing whatsoever about unix.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Post Tools
Line 149 in Security.pl is an email ban check. Make sure you're not using wildcards or just domains in the banned emails list. The banned email domains list should just have the domain names.

Since it's on Windows, you don't need to worry about Permissions - that's a *nix thing and reflects a fundamental difference in how Windows (prior to Win7) and *nix view users. (Me bad - IIS permissions exist.)

The path statements for Windows are a little different than on *nix systems too- With Windows, you start with the drive letter and base directory.

A YaBB base path in Windows might look like :D:/websites/bigapricot/yabbfiles
and on a *nix set up it might look something like usr/home/bigapricot/yabbfiles

The 2.5 templates ARE gray, but you should be able to use your old 2.4 default.css and templates with just a few tweaks (I've done that.)

But I'd look at your banned emails and blocked email domains lists and then at the blocked member names. (Your error says it's a
'mail.ru'  email address that messing up Security.pl but it's possible some bright cookie used that for their member name.)
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:47pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 12:15am
Post Tools
Oh, yeah, you asked about moving to a Linux server. Like I indicated there are three functional (for the user, not the admin) differences between a Win based server and a *nix based server - one is paths, one is permissions and the last one is Windows is case-insensitive on file names and Linux is case-sensitive, so file names can mess you up.

My testbed server is Apache 2 on XP. My online server is Apache 2 on Linux.
Permissions, paths and capitalization - otherwise I have exactly the same YaBB running on both. (Actually, I have about 5 versions running on both.)

So you could (I've done it.) put your Win version in maintenance, zip it up, unzip it to the proper places on the new server, edit Paths.pl to your new paths, set your folder and file permissions  and be good to go.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:56pm
Post Tools
There's an open question (unless I missed it) is the OP on Windows/Apache or Windows IIS?

Questioning

OOPS - resolved - its IIS -

IIS permissions on Server 2003 are totally different than Apache on Windows.  I know, that is how I got here... (long story)

http://www.newnetenterprises.com/merchants/web_tutorials/iis6_yabb.htm

Good Luck
Cool

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:59pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:45pm
Post Tools
Oops  Embarrassed  silly me not realizing how different IIS is from Apache on the same OS. (Which is probably one of the reasons I've never really played with IIS.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:38pm:
Hi mate, thanks for reply.
This wasn't an FTP upload, so ASCII/Binary doesn't come into it.  In windows, you just logon to the server, download the zip file and overwrite the newer files.  Nothing at all but the updated files has changed.

But I am interested in a new install?  I have web space at UK2 - I'd love to move the forum off the windows server and host it at UK2 instead (which would be unix).  If I can do this with a fresh install, and just copy the members/messages/menus, then I'd definitely like to do this if it's simple enough, but I know nothing whatsoever about unix.

Just guessing here, but maybe Windows only updated newer files versus replacing every file as I think it should have been done.

After all, it seems that you now have a cross of files from both versions of YaBB, so maybe that needs to be corrected in order for YaBB 2.5 to work as it should.

Solution? Maybe the thing to do is to once again upload files onto your server, but do them individually versus unzipping them.

I say this because I think Windows will only update/overwrite files that are "new" versus files that need to be overwritten even though they don't appear to be new.

Think of it this way. When a program is updated, sometimes what's needed is an uninstall before an update can be applied. Maybe this is how a Windows server works (but I do not know this for certain).

By the way, I think you'll be much happier on a UNIX server at UK2.

You have a beautiful looking forum as it looks now, so I hope your upgrade issues will be fixed soon so that you and your membership can fully enjoy it.

Good luck!

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Post Tools
Before doing much more - check Admin->Detailed Version Check and make sure all your main files are 2.5AE

Bill may well be right on this and not all files were properly updated.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 6:28pm
Post Tools
Generally -- other than the 'update' packages created by YaBB and distributed on SourceForge, the only 'proper' way to move/upgrade YaBB is by the 'clean install' method.

This is an abbreviated version of the 'right way'.

Clean Install:
A. Back everything up OFF the server.

B. Remove, rename, or relocate the prior installation AND its data.

C. Install the new version YaBB fresh and get it to work.

D. Bring back the data from the prior install and convert as indicated in the Quick Start guide for the new version.

Better details are found in the codex.
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190674425
http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?board=upgrade

Good luck to all
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 8:30pm
Post Tools
Hi
Thanks for everyone for the replies so far - hopefully we can resolve this Smiley

Just to be clear, this was Yabb 2.4, running on Windows 2003, IIS6.  It was working perfectly before the upgrade, and has done for many years, having been through every previous upgrade since around 2003!  The permissions thing doesn't apply to IIS 6 on Windows., and anyay, whatever paths and security that were in place are still excactly the same now. (the IUSR_ has same perms as before)

I can confirm that the upgrade package *definitely* overwrote all files it contained - this is default behaviour in Windows, and I just did it again to be sure ("all files with the same name will be overwritten").  So what we have in place is exactly what was working before, with all updated files overwritten.

I have probably muddied the waters mentioning UK2/Unix - I would love to do this, but the priority just now is to get it working as is, as I know nothing whatsoever about unix/permissions, and I have worked with Windows Server for 20 years!

The Detailed Version check does show that all files are 2.5AE

The current situation is:

-For me, Admin, I can logon, and view everything,  and it appears to all work ok.  But it does not appear to allow anyone else , giving this error...
"-Untrapped Error : Quantifier follows nothing in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/* <-- HERE @mail.ru/ at ./Sources/Security.pl line 149"
I have looked in the (updated) admin centre, and there is no mention of mail.ru in the banned domains.

-New registraions don't work.  They return "CGI Error The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."  This appears to be the only page that does this.

@JonB
Are you saying that I should do a clean install instead of the upgrade?

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
Quote:
@JonB
Are you saying that I should do a clean install instead of the upgrade?

Yep. That's what he said.  Wink That way you won't have any 2.4 Language/Variables/ etc. files hiding out and mucking things up.

But based on the error what is happening is Security.pl is checking for banned email addresses or banned member names and may be looking in the wrong place or in a file that's formatted wrong for 2.5. Since the file is giving back bad info, Security.pl crashes, locking everybody out but the admin.

A clean install should solve this.

So once you do a full clean install and have your members and messages transferred over, you will also need to re-input your banned members lists. (I can just about guarantee there's a @mail.ru sitting in a banned email list or member name list even if you can't see it in the Admin Center.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top