Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken (Read 19,490 times)
sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Reply #37 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:15pm
Post Tools
Okay, I have made some progress.

I have a completely fresh install of Yabb 2.5AE up and running.  The key to the whole thing was windows rights in the cgi directory (nothing to do with IIS rights)

Before I go any further, just a couple of questions.   This is a totally *new* 2.5 install in a different directory to the 2.4, yet the graphic shows 2.4, and the graphics on the gray background look a mess.  I want to make sure these problems are in fact an inherent problem with the 2.5 release rather than something else?

Getting there Smiley

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #36 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 7:08pm
Post Tools
Set Paths.pl to writable using IIS manager

Paths_pl.jpg ( 128 KB | 61 Downloads )
Paths_pl.jpg

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #35 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:52pm
Post Tools
Here's what a live YaBB looks like on IIS

Note you could use cgi-bin or cgi_bin for the folder name, on IIS it doesn't matter.

Smiley

LiveIISYaBB_folders.jpg ( 98 KB | 62 Downloads )
LiveIISYaBB_folders.jpg

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #34 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:36pm
Post Tools
Since it was asked - I have a zipped copy of 2.5AE dated 6/21/11 (1635 kb zipped) and just now unzipped it, FTPed the files and directories to my Linux test site into cgi-bin/yabber, set the permissions on YaBB.pl, AdminIndex.pl and Setup.pl to 755, everything else is 644.

No problems. The hosting service is Knownhost.
Perl 5.8.8, Apache 2.2.16, unspecified Linux version.

The known issues with YaBB and Perl 5.10 are non-fatal warnings concerning some out-dated syntax. These warnings should not effect the install.

So, if you think you need a verified-as-good zipped file of 2.5AE, I have one.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 2.4 forum to transfer member or message files from to check if there's a complicating issue there.

And yes, I know this is not a Win server solution.  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:38pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #33 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Post Tools
In IIS Manager, Web Service Extensions -

Do you have entries like in this screenshot -

Smiley

IIS_WebServices.PNG ( 39 KB | 60 Downloads )
IIS_WebServices.PNG

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #32 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 12:51pm:
I'll going to follow the instruction mentioned above and see where I get,

cheers!

Considering the alternatives here, including my lack of any real knowledge about using a Windows server, I think your best course of action might be to again try a brand new install.

I admire your persistence.  Smiley

By the way, I have the same problem as you do, but on a UNIX server. Like you, I've followed YaBB's instructions to the letter, and I still have the same related problem that you have.

I'm beginning to think that both you and I may have installed a corrupted download of YaBB. I'm just reaching, but that is a possibility.

Maybe someone here with "actual substantial knowledge" can download YaBB's current YaBB 2.5 and do what will be for them a quick install to see if something's gotten corrupted.

Edited:
I'm not abandoning you, but since I don't have substantial knowledge about this subject, I'm going to step back so that you can concentrate on getting the expert help that you're seeking.

Good luck! I'm very curious about how this gets resolved.

JonB wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 12:49pm:
If you do not have actual substantial knowledge to contribute to a support problem, kindly refrain from confusing the issue.

Wink

Ironically, if you look at my track record of helping people here in this forum, I seem to be able to help them even when people with knowledge about a subject aren't able to provide a solution. Go figure. I think it has to do more with trying than actually knowing what to do.

Also, I think it helps to have a fresh set of eyes on a problem from a regular user versus an expert who often can't see the forest because of the trees. I know that it's not uncommon for an expert to clue in on a solution after they've read through help that I've tried to give.

It's like, "No, no, no, Bill. That's not the way to do it. This is the way to do it." Wink

How someone helps shouldn't matter if that help provides a solution to any given problem, or it leads to a solution. So far, even a qualified expert like you can't seem to figure out what the real problem is. So neither one of us is helping much here; at least not yet.

So how are we different here? Wink

If it makes you feel any better, my money's on you since you actually have substantial knowledge, and as I've already qualified the help I've been trying to give, I do not.

In any case, give a guy a break for trying to help. You're seriously complaining about that? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:24pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #31 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Post Tools
C:\Perl\bin>perl -v

This is perl, v5.10.0 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
(with 5 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2007, Larry Wall

Binary build 1004 [287188] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Sep  3 2008 13:16:37

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #30 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 1:32pm
Post Tools
Are you using ActiveStates Perl? 

If so, what version and are you using it (Perl) as PerlISAPI or with a shebang line?

Otherwise - what Perl are you using???

Thanks
Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #29 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 1:14pm
Post Tools
Actually, sausagenet, that's not the case about the NTFS and IIS permissions.  It ultimately depends on what user unzipped the files, where they were located and if it was a copy or move operation that was performed.

MOVE preserves the permissions as they were from an NTFS point of view.  COPY, on the other hand, is a cumulative addition of permissions.  i.e. the original permissions are retained and any permissions created by inheritance (usually from a parent folder) are added.

"By default, an object inherits permissions from its parent object, either at the time of creation or when it is copied or moved to its parent folder. The only exception to this rule occurs when you move an object to a different folder on the same volume. In this case, the original permissions are retained."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310316

Be SURE your Paths.pl is writable. (it won't be from inheritance, if the server was setup correctly).

I have several YaBB forums running on IIS 6 and have fixed countless others. The guide is accurate, but a bit out of date - I think there may be some new folders introduced in 2.4 (which I think came along after I wrote it).

Good Luck

Cool

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 1:15pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #28 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 12:51pm
Post Tools
Hi Guys
Thanks for the continued help - I will continue to fiddle for a while.  The server is mine - an actual Windows 2003 Server, just for my use, that I have direct remote access as Administrator to the desktop - I'm not using FTP or anything like that.

Again, just for clarity,  I now have two different situations here:

The original 2.4 forum that worked, perfectly, on this server for many years.  ALL I did on this one was extract the upgrade files over the top of the pre-existing files as per the instructions.  This won't have changed any permissions, directory structures etc.  This has resulted in the errors described above.

The new situation is an attempt to do a fresh 2.5 install.  setup.pl asks for a password, then returns the cg bad behavior message - so I canno even begin to start configuring a new install.

I'll going to follow the instruction mentioned above and see where I get,

cheers!

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #27 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 12:49pm
Post Tools
If you do not have actual substantial knowledge to contribute to a support problem, kindly refrain from confusing the issue.

Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #26 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 8:14am
Post Tools
My learning curve is getting very curvy!  Shocked

And now I'm really glad not to be on a Windows server.  Tongue

I just did a quick read from this link that JonB provided, and it seems especially helpful.

Edited:
This page might be helpful as well.

The list of help for a Windows installation here on this page might be the most important references.

Both links above currently work best using Internet Explorer.

On the note of installing YaBB, this particular problem with a Windows install, and problems with getting a 500 error on a UNIX server compels me to advocate for easy-to-understand installation instructions.

Otherwise, I think the use of YaBB will remain relatively low (just as it is with other forum software that hasn't stepped up to the next generation of what amounts to self installation).

Developers need to be reminded that most of us aren't as smart you are in terms of understanding what to do, and how to do it.

So from my regular guy mind, my conclusion is that paths need to be exact, and permissions however they're given need to be precise.

By the way, other forum software offers what to do guides that pop up when an error is encountered. Maybe YaBB's developers can do the same.

Meanwhile, I sure hope somebody can actually help out here to get his YaBB forum up and running again.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 8:37am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #25 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 1:21am
Post Tools
Without knowing what the original paths were its hard to 'guess' how you forum was set up under IIS. Reason: IIS is totally different than Apache.  There is no 'htdocs', 'public_html' or 'cgi-bin' on IIS.  ALL of those things are constructs created to deal with Apache and how it works.

You 'could' create them, and as long as you set the NTFS and IIS permissions correctly, it would work exactly as it does under Apache.  But it would also be OK to have things in any folder you wanted.

http://www.newnetenterprises.com/merchants/web_tutorials/iis6_yabb.htm

If you want to follow YaBB conventions, make a 'cgi-bin' folder for your yabb2 folder and its children in the roor of your webserver, and a 'yabbfiles' folder also in the root of your webserver.  Then follow the instructions in the guide mentioned above.

like this:

wwwroot\cgi-bin\yabb2\...

wwwroot\yabbfiles

There is no way for me to know what the 'root' of your webserver is.  Is it 'your server' or a hosted one?  Do you have direct access  or Remote Desktop to the server or you you use a Control Panel?  If its a Control Panel is it Plesk, Cpanel or WHM?

Good Luck
Cool
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 1:32am by JonB »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 11:49pm
Post Tools
Oddly enough, it can still be paths: from Setup.pl
Code
Select All
unless ($lastsaved) {
	$boardsdir = "./Boards";
	$sourcedir = "./Sources";
	$memberdir = "./Members";
	$vardir    = "./Variables";
}

if (-e "YaBB.cgi") { $yyext = "cgi"; }
else { $yyext = "pl"; }
if ($boardurl) { $set_cgi = "$boardurl/Setup.$yyext"; }
else { $set_cgi = "Setup.$yyext"; }

# Make sure the module path is present
push(@INC, "./Modules");

require "$sourcedir/Subs.pl";
require "$sourcedir/System.pl";
require "$sourcedir/Load.pl";
require "$sourcedir/DateTime.pl";

if $sourcedir is wrong, or the Modules directory is wrong or empty, or the file names in the requires are wrong, then it will croak.

Another place to check for more info is your server error log. While YaBB usually preempts the server errors, I'm betting this one got written to the server error log. It may still not tell you anything, but it just might.

Edited:
After a quick test I can tell you that part of the problem is accessing Sources/Load.pl. That script is not properly reading Members/admin.vars. Hitting submit with a blank password field triggers the proper error. Anything else triggers the http error.

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 12:02am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 11:32pm
Post Tools
I'm kinda confused as to why this might be a paths issue, given that on a fresh install, the paths file is empty anyway until you run through setup.

If anyone can point me to a "yabb on iis" install guide, where the directory strutcure and permissions for IUSR are define, I will run through the whole thing from scratch (again).

Failing that I am going to restore the 2.4 and just leave it there for now.

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top