Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken (Read 18,628 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Reply #52 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:42am
Post Tools
Well, you certainly put in a good effort.

Can I ask a couple questions?  

Did you install any of the anti-spam mods?  or use Bloody Rue's 'CAPTCHA' hack? (it changes the number of characters needed for the response)

Was it your expectation that the CAPTCHA had been improved in some fashion between versions 2.4 and 2.5AE?

Knowing there answers will help with our decisions on YaBB Next Editions release profile.

Thanks very much Ian. (and look for a PM)

Edited:
I think you have uncovered a previously unreported bug. I am working on seeing how/when it happens and why.
"./Members/forgotten.passes did not return a true value at ./Sources/LogInOut.pl line 307."

I would like you (if possible) to preserve that installation, even if at a slightly different relative URL so we can find out what is going on.

Thanks very much
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:20am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #51 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 11:14pm
Post Tools
I want to thank everyone for all the help, but after days of this I think I am going to restore the VM back to the state it was before I begun the upgrade.

The forum appears to work for some, but there are loads of intermittant errors.  And, it doesn't fix at all the spam problem, which I was hoping it would.

The second I opened up registrations, even with captcha, pre-validation, etc, I get hundreds of fake registrations a day. Even with moderator approval, this is way too many to deal with.  Apparently the captcha can be completely bypassed (same as in 2.4)
-----
I have this displayed ...
There are 741 validated Registrants awaiting approval.
There are 125 Pre-Registered Members that are not yet validated.

... but clicking on the links show no entires at all.
-----
Forgotten password link (for some people, not all) returns
Untrapped Error :
./Members/forgotten.passes did not return a true value at ./Sources/LogInOut.pl line 307.
-----
People who KNOW what their password was are told it is incorrect.  I have proved this myself, by setting a password directly in the member file, logging in with it, then finding later on it is no longer acceptable.
-----
The 'register' function now appears to work - register, get a link emailed to you ... but then click on it to be told "your ID is invalid"

Given that the upgrade doesn't fix the fundamental problem (bots can validate 100s of fake accounts a day) I may as well return to the working 2.4 state and accept that we cannot have any new users Sad

Thanks again for all the help.

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #50 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Post Tools
And as an addition to JonB's advice - if your site looks just horrible to some people tell them to clear their browser cache - For most browsers it's CTRL+F5. That will force a reload of the css files, javascript files and graphics.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #49 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Post Tools
OK -

I'll give you a "good guess" about the 'buttons' issue.

When you change YaBB versions, you get a new set of session keys in the cookie.  So anyone who had an unexpired or permanent (For Keeps) cookie, now has a mixed message in the cookie file.

Sometimes, they 'appear' to be logged in, but some things don't work, other times their special permissions don't work.

IF the 'Logout' menu item exists for them - have them logout and get a new cookie.  If its not available - have them get out of YaBB, and manually delete the cookie file. Also a good idea to tell everyone - clear cookies and cache (think of your experience - it will be more confusing to them)

The YaBB Cookienames for your installation are found in Admin Center > Forum Settings > Member

Good Luck
Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Great job! Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5
Reply #48 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:40am
Post Tools
Your forum is looking pretty darned good to me.

I love your avatar. Is that what's been going on? I've been there myself! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #47 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:17am
Post Tools
Right... we appear to be 98% there.

NTFS permissions again, exactly as you said.  The message folder had the correct permissions, but these had not propogated to the message files in it - so, using windows security / advanced, I applied all the permissions to the child files, and now I can rebuild board index, and rebuild all the other indexes aswell.

The final problem is that the "register" and the "forgot password" buttons are either greyed out (for some people) or are not greyed out but cause no event at all for other people (ie. click on the button and nothing whatsoever happens)

We are very close now.  Thanks for you help and patience.

-ian

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #46 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Post Tools
OK

My 'guess' is that we are again dealing with Windows NTFS permissions.

Good luck
Cool

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #45 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:27pm
Post Tools
Yes,  I can post and reply in the new forum, but I can only view these new posts, not view any older posts

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #44 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Post Tools
2 Questions:

Did you test posting before you brought over the data?

Can you post in the converted forum?

Thanks

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #43 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:13pm
Post Tools
So I have everything restored as per the instructions and have hit a new problem.

On the page http://www.sausagenet.org/AdminIndex.pl?action=rebuildmesindex I am supposed to "rebuild the message index"

The click here links back to the same page, but with rebuild=1 at the end of the URL...

http://www.sausagenet.org/AdminIndex.pl?action=rebuildmesindex;rebuild=1

This link returns "page not found"

So I cannot rebuild the message index.

Any ideas?
cheeers!
--ian

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #42 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 1:17am
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:15pm:
Okay, I have made some progress.

I have a completely fresh install of Yabb 2.5AE up and running.  The key to the whole thing was windows rights in the cgi directory (nothing to do with IIS rights)

Getting there Smiley

cheers!
--ian

Excellent! Smiley

Dandello wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:36pm:
Since it was asked - I have a zipped copy of 2.5AE dated 6/21/11 (1635 kb zipped) and just now unzipped it, FTPed the files and directories to my Linux test site into cgi-bin/yabber, set the permissions on YaBB.pl, AdminIndex.pl and Setup.pl to 755, everything else is 644.

No problems. The hosting service is Knownhost.
Perl 5.8.8, Apache 2.2.16, unspecified Linux version.

Thank you so much to going to the trouble to verify that the installation package works perfectly fine.
You've inspired me to give it another try.  Smiley

But not today ... had a really long one, and I'm having a hard time staying awake.

I'm very pleased that Ian's installation issues seem to pretty much be behind him. He seems to have figured out what was going on all on his own. Excellent!

So for anyone else who may have the same issues, "The key to the whole thing was windows rights in the cgi directory (nothing to do with IIS rights)."

This is actually very helpful for me as well even though I'm on a UNIX machine. Thanks Ian! Smiley

More clues to ponder while I get a good night's sleep.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #41 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 12:58am
Post Tools
AFAIK - In most cases, smilies just need to be copied over.

I will have to look, I may have a YaBB 2.4 blue template for YaBB 2.5 (not 'here' but on a remote server)

Good Luck
Cool

Edited:
I'll be sending you a PM after I get it on paper
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2012 at 1:02am by JonB »  

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #40 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 10:03pm
Post Tools
Actually, I was just thinking... can I have the beta of Yabb Next Edition and I can run that?  Look smuch nicer and you'll get a production forum with live feedback?  My forum is 9 years old, and has 100s of 1000s of message, and 1000s of legacy users, but less than 100 actives now - I'm sure they wouldn't mind Smiley

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #39 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:56pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:36pm:
If the URL of the new installation is the same as the old one:  you might want to flush your browser cache (the objects will have the same names)

Wink

Doh!.  I'm embarrassed now  Lips Sealed
Anyway - it's still *nasty* even when it's right;-)

I'm off to try the members/messages now... but I have a nasty feeling I might run into problems.  I have a vague recollection of using boardmod for stuff like "add more smilies" which I guess aren't gonna be there.

Let's see what happens.
cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #38 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Post Tools
I'm glad you are making progress.  Wink

If the URL of the new installation is the same as the old one:  you might want to flush your browser cache (the objects will have the same names)

Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:38pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top