Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken (Read 20,905 times)
sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Reply #45 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:27pm
Post Tools
Yes,  I can post and reply in the new forum, but I can only view these new posts, not view any older posts

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #46 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Post Tools
OK

My 'guess' is that we are again dealing with Windows NTFS permissions.

Good luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #47 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:17am
Post Tools
Right... we appear to be 98% there.

NTFS permissions again, exactly as you said.  The message folder had the correct permissions, but these had not propogated to the message files in it - so, using windows security / advanced, I applied all the permissions to the child files, and now I can rebuild board index, and rebuild all the other indexes aswell.

The final problem is that the "register" and the "forgot password" buttons are either greyed out (for some people) or are not greyed out but cause no event at all for other people (ie. click on the button and nothing whatsoever happens)

We are very close now.  Thanks for you help and patience.

-ian

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Great job! Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5
Reply #48 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:40am
Post Tools
Your forum is looking pretty darned good to me.

I love your avatar. Is that what's been going on? I've been there myself! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #49 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Post Tools
OK -

I'll give you a "good guess" about the 'buttons' issue.

When you change YaBB versions, you get a new set of session keys in the cookie.  So anyone who had an unexpired or permanent (For Keeps) cookie, now has a mixed message in the cookie file.

Sometimes, they 'appear' to be logged in, but some things don't work, other times their special permissions don't work.

IF the 'Logout' menu item exists for them - have them logout and get a new cookie.  If its not available - have them get out of YaBB, and manually delete the cookie file. Also a good idea to tell everyone - clear cookies and cache (think of your experience - it will be more confusing to them)

The YaBB Cookienames for your installation are found in Admin Center > Forum Settings > Member

Good Luck
Cool

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #50 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Post Tools
And as an addition to JonB's advice - if your site looks just horrible to some people tell them to clear their browser cache - For most browsers it's CTRL+F5. That will force a reload of the css files, javascript files and graphics.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #51 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 11:14pm
Post Tools
I want to thank everyone for all the help, but after days of this I think I am going to restore the VM back to the state it was before I begun the upgrade.

The forum appears to work for some, but there are loads of intermittant errors.  And, it doesn't fix at all the spam problem, which I was hoping it would.

The second I opened up registrations, even with captcha, pre-validation, etc, I get hundreds of fake registrations a day. Even with moderator approval, this is way too many to deal with.  Apparently the captcha can be completely bypassed (same as in 2.4)
-----
I have this displayed ...
There are 741 validated Registrants awaiting approval.
There are 125 Pre-Registered Members that are not yet validated.

... but clicking on the links show no entires at all.
-----
Forgotten password link (for some people, not all) returns
Untrapped Error :
./Members/forgotten.passes did not return a true value at ./Sources/LogInOut.pl line 307.
-----
People who KNOW what their password was are told it is incorrect.  I have proved this myself, by setting a password directly in the member file, logging in with it, then finding later on it is no longer acceptable.
-----
The 'register' function now appears to work - register, get a link emailed to you ... but then click on it to be told "your ID is invalid"

Given that the upgrade doesn't fix the fundamental problem (bots can validate 100s of fake accounts a day) I may as well return to the working 2.4 state and accept that we cannot have any new users Sad

Thanks again for all the help.

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #52 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:42am
Post Tools
Well, you certainly put in a good effort.

Can I ask a couple questions?  

Did you install any of the anti-spam mods?  or use Bloody Rue's 'CAPTCHA' hack? (it changes the number of characters needed for the response)

Was it your expectation that the CAPTCHA had been improved in some fashion between versions 2.4 and 2.5AE?

Knowing there answers will help with our decisions on YaBB Next Editions release profile.

Thanks very much Ian. (and look for a PM)

Edited:
I think you have uncovered a previously unreported bug. I am working on seeing how/when it happens and why.
"./Members/forgotten.passes did not return a true value at ./Sources/LogInOut.pl line 307."

I would like you (if possible) to preserve that installation, even if at a slightly different relative URL so we can find out what is going on.

Thanks very much
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:20am by JonB »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #53 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:16pm
Post Tools
OK - I think a fix has been made for that.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1260563973

I have not examined it yet.

Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #54 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:20pm
Post Tools
I think when you convert you may have to delete forgotten.passes if you have that issue.

Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #55 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:55pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 11:14pm:

Given that the upgrade doesn't fix the fundamental problem (bots can validate 100s of fake accounts a day) I may as well return to the working 2.4 state and accept that we cannot have any new users Sad

Thanks again for all the help.

cheers!
--ian

Ian, there may be some good news about stopping the amount of spam you get (verified with YaBB 2.4 and I suspect it also works with YaBB 2.5 since I think I've seen admins using anti-spam mods).

Edited:
Confirmed! I just verified that at least one YaBB 2.5 forum is successfully using the anti-spam mods I referenced below.

So yes, you can allow new users to register in your forum on their own.  Smiley

I had the same problem that you have with spammers. After I implemented an easy-to-install anti-spam hack written specifically for YaBB, we had hundreds of thousands of spam-bot registration attempts that were stopped cold.

But you don't need to use the anti-spam hack I used. I can now happily confirm that both Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod and Carsten's Spamfruits mod will pretty much stop all spam-bot registration attempts.

As for hu-bots (humans), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that those will be few and far between if at all.

I almost gave up on YaBB because of spammers, but thanks to some brilliant modding, spam-bots are no longer a problem.

Good luck with your forum. Your persistence will pay off!

Edited:
I wouldn't even bother with captcha since it's now easily defeated. No sense making new users jump through that hoop to register.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:41pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #56 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:16pm
Post Tools
Between StopForumSpam and Anti-spam question, I have about one spammer a month get through to needing my attention (I also have Admin approval turned on so they never get to the forum - but my forums have had sockpuppet and troll problems, too.)

If your forum is too generic for a good set of custom questions (and they do need to be custom and specific questions), Spamfruits does an excellent job. Basically anything that requires time or actually thinking will pretty much keep the bots at bay. (I'm running 2.5 on my 'real' forums and a majorly modded out version of 2.5 in the testbed.)
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:17pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #57 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:23pm
Post Tools
Guys, if you are happy to help me troubleshoot the remaining issues, then I'll keep at this.

I'll go and apply the anti-spam stuff now and see what happens.

Can you tell me how to fix the fact that the forum says there are 100s of accounts waiting approval, yet the links bring up an empty list?  I won't know if the antispam stuff is working unless these links actually work?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #58 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:34pm
Post Tools
I assume you're able to actually open memberlist.approve in Notepad or whatever you use to edit text files?

I don't currently have a 2.5 version to look at but if there's nothing in your file but blank lines, remove the blank lines. Unless you actually have members waiting for approval, that file should have a 0 length.

As I said, I don't currently have a forum with a memberlist.approve that has anything in it but I can certainly look into what it should look like and what happens if you edit it by hand.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:35pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #59 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:02pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:23pm:

Can you tell me how to fix the fact that the forum says there are 100s of accounts waiting approval, yet the links bring up an empty list?

This link may help you get rid of those accounts awaiting approval (thank you Derek).

Basically, you'll want to delete the *.wait files that are showing up in your Members directory.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top