Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
 25 Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken (Read 18,107 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Reply #67 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:07am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:01am:
Okay, so with the "1 validated Registrant" awaiting approval, delete that associated *.wait file.

As for the "Pre-Registered Members" you'll need to delete their associated *.pre files.

After you delete the *.pre and *.wait files, your notice about them will disappear.

To be clear, the *.pre and *.wait files that need to be deleted are those actual separate files in your Members directory.

In other words, even when your various lists show nothing in them, these associated files need to be deleted. Otherwise, you'll continue to get a notice about them.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #66 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:01am
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:42pm:
Well, remebering this is Windows (and not unix), the 644/646 thing isnt really relevennt.

Oops, and right you are. My bad.  Roll Eyes

...  some old users get "mismatch" on password.  And, for these mismatched users, where I manually reset ther password in thier member file, it still doesn't work, even thoug doing the exact same thing for my admin user did.

That tells me their membership files are corrupted, or so that's my thought (unless it's a permissions issue, which doesn't seem to be the case). As such, maybe reloading those particular membership files from a backup copy might fix this ... just guessing.

I have cleared out memberlist.inactive, and all member.wait, and memberlist.approve, so they are all 0k files, but I still get:

There is 1 validated Registrant awaiting approval.

There are 156 Pre-Registered Members that are not yet validated.

... both of the links in the above messages give me blank lists (so, no-one to validate or approve)

Okay, so with the "1 validated Registrant" awaiting approval, delete that associated *.wait file.

As for the "Pre-Registered Members" you'll need to delete their associated *.pre files.

After you delete the *.pre and *.wait files, your notice about them will disappear.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #65 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:42pm
Post Tools
Well, remebering this is Windows (and not unix), the 644/646 thing isnt really relevennt.  I have played safe for now and give all member files "full contol" access which allows the IIS USR to do what ever it wants.

The current situation is that my admin user works.  And some existing users with existing passwords, work.  But some old users get "mismatch" on password.  And, for these mismatched users, where I manually reset ther password in thier member file, it still doesn't work, even thoug doing the exact same thing for my admin user did.

I have cleared out memberlist.inactive, and all member.wait, and memberlist.approve, so they are all 0k files, but I still get:

There is 1 validated Registrant awaiting approval.

There are 156 Pre-Registered Members that are not yet validated.

... both of the links in the above messages give me blank lists (so, no-one to validate or approve)

Oh and quick bug report:
Gender is not flagged (with a *) as being compulsory, but it is.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #64 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:15pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:04pm:

----
Still Open Probs
I managed to get myself into the forum by changing my password in the member file (I am aware that the plain text password is encrypted on first logon).  But, doing it for other members still gives a mismatch???

So what exactly is happening again? I mean, can members log into your forum okay, or are they getting an error message that disallows it?

Edited:
One or both of two things helped me when I had access problems with membership files.

1. I changed permissions for membership files from 644 to 666 (the latter is what YaBB recommends).

2. I re-loaded membership files to the server.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:23pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #63 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:04pm
Post Tools
Ok, Antispam questions is now in place.
Register is allowed in referrer security
I'll go back to members for feedback.

You know, I'm sure I used to spend Friday nights in clubs and pubs, rather than doing this!  Wink

----
Still Open Probs
I managed to get myself into the forum by changing my password in the member file (I am aware that the plain text password is encrypted on first logon).  But, doing it for other members still gives a mismatch???

If any of you very helpful kind people would care to be an admin on my board to checkout any mistakes I'd made, then I'm happy to do it.

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #62 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:39pm
Post Tools
Regarding your "This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!" warning, that's an easy fix.

Based on YaBB 2.4 (hopefully it's the same in 2.5) ...

Go to Admin Center, then Security Settings, and under the General tab look for Activate Referral Security Checking?. That box is probably checked, which I believe is causing the error, so you'll want to uncheck it.

Then again, you'll see "Fine tuning you can do in Security Center => Referer Security" ... so maybe you'll want to do some fine tuning in that section instead.

Edited:
In other words, check the box that allows people to "register" ... in that list.

If it matters, I've never activated or bothered with referral security, and we've been fine in our forum.

Edited:
Your anti-spam mod seems to be working great. Way to go!  Cool

I think you'll be pleased with how well is stops those otherwise pesky spam bots.  Smiley

You won't actually need a verification code any more ... if you're that daring. Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:03pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #61 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
By the way, you'll probably want to delete your Setup.pl file even though I don't think leaving it is a particular concern with the 2.5 version of YaBB.

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #60 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
Ok, I just cleared the member.approve, member.inactive and member.wait files, and now the fantom approvals have gone.   

I'm now trying the antispam mods, but currently struggling with that as the zip file download wont expand with the inbuilt "compressed folders" in windows.  I guess it has been built with a later version of winzip, so I'm off to get that.

Meantime, some (again, not all) people registering get "'This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!"
Any ideas?  Should I just disable "guardian" for now?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #59 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:02pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:23pm:

Can you tell me how to fix the fact that the forum says there are 100s of accounts waiting approval, yet the links bring up an empty list?

This link may help you get rid of those accounts awaiting approval (thank you Derek).

Basically, you'll want to delete the *.wait files that are showing up in your Members directory.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #58 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:34pm
Post Tools
I assume you're able to actually open memberlist.approve in Notepad or whatever you use to edit text files?

I don't currently have a 2.5 version to look at but if there's nothing in your file but blank lines, remove the blank lines. Unless you actually have members waiting for approval, that file should have a 0 length.

As I said, I don't currently have a forum with a memberlist.approve that has anything in it but I can certainly look into what it should look like and what happens if you edit it by hand.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:35pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #57 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:23pm
Post Tools
Guys, if you are happy to help me troubleshoot the remaining issues, then I'll keep at this.

I'll go and apply the anti-spam stuff now and see what happens.

Can you tell me how to fix the fact that the forum says there are 100s of accounts waiting approval, yet the links bring up an empty list?  I won't know if the antispam stuff is working unless these links actually work?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #56 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:16pm
Post Tools
Between StopForumSpam and Anti-spam question, I have about one spammer a month get through to needing my attention (I also have Admin approval turned on so they never get to the forum - but my forums have had sockpuppet and troll problems, too.)

If your forum is too generic for a good set of custom questions (and they do need to be custom and specific questions), Spamfruits does an excellent job. Basically anything that requires time or actually thinking will pretty much keep the bots at bay. (I'm running 2.5 on my 'real' forums and a majorly modded out version of 2.5 in the testbed.)
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:17pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #55 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:55pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 11:14pm:

Given that the upgrade doesn't fix the fundamental problem (bots can validate 100s of fake accounts a day) I may as well return to the working 2.4 state and accept that we cannot have any new users Sad

Thanks again for all the help.

cheers!
--ian

Ian, there may be some good news about stopping the amount of spam you get (verified with YaBB 2.4 and I suspect it also works with YaBB 2.5 since I think I've seen admins using anti-spam mods).

Edited:
Confirmed! I just verified that at least one YaBB 2.5 forum is successfully using the anti-spam mods I referenced below.

So yes, you can allow new users to register in your forum on their own.  Smiley

I had the same problem that you have with spammers. After I implemented an easy-to-install anti-spam hack written specifically for YaBB, we had hundreds of thousands of spam-bot registration attempts that were stopped cold.

But you don't need to use the anti-spam hack I used. I can now happily confirm that both Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod and Carsten's Spamfruits mod will pretty much stop all spam-bot registration attempts.

As for hu-bots (humans), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that those will be few and far between if at all.

I almost gave up on YaBB because of spammers, but thanks to some brilliant modding, spam-bots are no longer a problem.

Good luck with your forum. Your persistence will pay off!

Edited:
I wouldn't even bother with captcha since it's now easily defeated. No sense making new users jump through that hoop to register.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:41pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #54 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:20pm
Post Tools
I think when you convert you may have to delete forgotten.passes if you have that issue.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #53 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:16pm
Post Tools
OK - I think a fix has been made for that.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1260563973

I have not examined it yet.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top