Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken (Read 20,907 times)
sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and now broken
Reply #60 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
Ok, I just cleared the member.approve, member.inactive and member.wait files, and now the fantom approvals have gone.   

I'm now trying the antispam mods, but currently struggling with that as the zip file download wont expand with the inbuilt "compressed folders" in windows.  I guess it has been built with a later version of winzip, so I'm off to get that.

Meantime, some (again, not all) people registering get "'This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!"
Any ideas?  Should I just disable "guardian" for now?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #61 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
By the way, you'll probably want to delete your Setup.pl file even though I don't think leaving it is a particular concern with the 2.5 version of YaBB.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #62 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:39pm
Post Tools
Regarding your "This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!" warning, that's an easy fix.

Based on YaBB 2.4 (hopefully it's the same in 2.5) ...

Go to Admin Center, then Security Settings, and under the General tab look for Activate Referral Security Checking?. That box is probably checked, which I believe is causing the error, so you'll want to uncheck it.

Then again, you'll see "Fine tuning you can do in Security Center => Referer Security" ... so maybe you'll want to do some fine tuning in that section instead.

Edited:
In other words, check the box that allows people to "register" ... in that list.

If it matters, I've never activated or bothered with referral security, and we've been fine in our forum.

Edited:
Your anti-spam mod seems to be working great. Way to go!  Cool

I think you'll be pleased with how well is stops those otherwise pesky spam bots.  Smiley

You won't actually need a verification code any more ... if you're that daring. Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:03pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #63 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:04pm
Post Tools
Ok, Antispam questions is now in place.
Register is allowed in referrer security
I'll go back to members for feedback.

You know, I'm sure I used to spend Friday nights in clubs and pubs, rather than doing this!  Wink

----
Still Open Probs
I managed to get myself into the forum by changing my password in the member file (I am aware that the plain text password is encrypted on first logon).  But, doing it for other members still gives a mismatch???

If any of you very helpful kind people would care to be an admin on my board to checkout any mistakes I'd made, then I'm happy to do it.

cheers!
--ian

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #64 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:15pm
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:04pm:

----
Still Open Probs
I managed to get myself into the forum by changing my password in the member file (I am aware that the plain text password is encrypted on first logon).  But, doing it for other members still gives a mismatch???

So what exactly is happening again? I mean, can members log into your forum okay, or are they getting an error message that disallows it?

Edited:
One or both of two things helped me when I had access problems with membership files.

1. I changed permissions for membership files from 644 to 666 (the latter is what YaBB recommends).

2. I re-loaded membership files to the server.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:23pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #65 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:42pm
Post Tools
Well, remebering this is Windows (and not unix), the 644/646 thing isnt really relevennt.  I have played safe for now and give all member files "full contol" access which allows the IIS USR to do what ever it wants.

The current situation is that my admin user works.  And some existing users with existing passwords, work.  But some old users get "mismatch" on password.  And, for these mismatched users, where I manually reset ther password in thier member file, it still doesn't work, even thoug doing the exact same thing for my admin user did.

I have cleared out memberlist.inactive, and all member.wait, and memberlist.approve, so they are all 0k files, but I still get:

There is 1 validated Registrant awaiting approval.

There are 156 Pre-Registered Members that are not yet validated.

... both of the links in the above messages give me blank lists (so, no-one to validate or approve)

Oh and quick bug report:
Gender is not flagged (with a *) as being compulsory, but it is.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #66 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:01am
Post Tools
sausagenet wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:42pm:
Well, remebering this is Windows (and not unix), the 644/646 thing isnt really relevennt.

Oops, and right you are. My bad.  Roll Eyes

...  some old users get "mismatch" on password.  And, for these mismatched users, where I manually reset ther password in thier member file, it still doesn't work, even thoug doing the exact same thing for my admin user did.

That tells me their membership files are corrupted, or so that's my thought (unless it's a permissions issue, which doesn't seem to be the case). As such, maybe reloading those particular membership files from a backup copy might fix this ... just guessing.

I have cleared out memberlist.inactive, and all member.wait, and memberlist.approve, so they are all 0k files, but I still get:

There is 1 validated Registrant awaiting approval.

There are 156 Pre-Registered Members that are not yet validated.

... both of the links in the above messages give me blank lists (so, no-one to validate or approve)

Okay, so with the "1 validated Registrant" awaiting approval, delete that associated *.wait file.

As for the "Pre-Registered Members" you'll need to delete their associated *.pre files.

After you delete the *.pre and *.wait files, your notice about them will disappear.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #67 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:07am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:01am:
Okay, so with the "1 validated Registrant" awaiting approval, delete that associated *.wait file.

As for the "Pre-Registered Members" you'll need to delete their associated *.pre files.

After you delete the *.pre and *.wait files, your notice about them will disappear.

To be clear, the *.pre and *.wait files that need to be deleted are those actual separate files in your Members directory.

In other words, even when your various lists show nothing in them, these associated files need to be deleted. Otherwise, you'll continue to get a notice about them.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #68 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:20am
Post Tools
Glad Bill got you squared away on the ghost members. As I indicated, I don't have any 'members waiting for approval' right now so I didn't remember those other files.

For the the members with bad passwords - can you as Admin open their profiles using Admin edit? If so, you may be able to reset the password that way and YaBB will hopefully rewrite their vars file properly. If not, you should either get an error message on what's fubar or see how the file is wrong.

It maybe something as simple as a missing semi-colon or line break in the vars file.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #69 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:38am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:20am:

For the the members with bad passwords - can you as Admin open their profiles using Admin edit? If so, you may be able to reset the password that way and YaBB will hopefully rewrite their vars file properly. If not, you should either get an error message on what's fubar or see how the file is wrong.

This is a "best practice" to try, and it's most often the way that I quickly fix access to a member who's lost it.

At times I've actually recreated a member's file by deleting it first, and adding them as a new member again, especially if they have no history of having made any posts (but there's probably a fix for that as well to keep their posts associated with their own profile).

Note: If you do end up recreating a member's file, you'll want to input the original date they joined, and anything/everything else that was included in their profile. I've always worked directly with members whenever I've done this so that they can be part of the process of helping me to fix their own profiles.

I'm wondering if many of Ian's problems are because the date of his new install and his old data aren't synced up? I kind of remember a discussion about this very subject ... don't know if it would apply here. Just thinking aloud.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #70 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 1:24am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:38am:
I'm wondering if many of Ian's problems are because the date of his new install and his old data aren't synced up? I kind of remember a discussion about this very subject ... don't know if it would apply here. Just thinking aloud.

That's a definite possibility and one to explore.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #71 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:24pm
Post Tools
Edited:
Big Fail For Me!

I'm leaving what I wrote below just in case this might still apply since I suppose there could be a difference between a Windows machine and UNIX.

With UNIX, however, I tested my theory about what might be going on, and found that I could successfully modify a membership account even when it was listed as being older than the forum. Not just as an admin, but as the user of this same account.

Whatever is going on with Ian's new install, I'd love to know.

Ironically, mainly because I'm rusty on YaBB installations myself, I haven't upgraded to the "Latest STABLE version" of YaBB in favor of keeping 2.4 as I operate it now. I've read that it's kind of buggy. But then, plenty of people seem to be using it without any significant problems, or using it with no problems at all, so I guess it must be stable enough.

Until Ian comes back with a more detailed explanation of what's going on, I'll presume that most of his members have accounts that are working just fine ... hopefully.

The forum start date thingy is just a guess of mine, but it's worth a try to adjust it accordingly. It wouldn't hurt to adjust it; going back in time that is, versus having a start date of a few days ago.

Our forum's start date is listed as "Feb 11 2002 at 21 37" and I seem to recall that someone had told me to make sure that same start date shows so that the "fresh install" a couple of years ago would sync up okay (although the word "sync" hadn't been used).

The reason this came to mind is that Ian is able to modify his admin account, which would show up as new, but existing member accounts would by default show up as being older than the start date of his new YaBB installation.

He could test this with an existing account, such as an extra one he has, and see what happens when he tries to modify a membership file that is older than the forum's date (all but his admin account I'm guessing except for new membership accounts of course).

But why bother? I'd simply change the forum's start date accordingly to whatever would be the oldest date of anything else in the forum.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:47pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #72 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:06pm
Post Tools
Still making progress - slow! - but progress anyay!

The antispam questions seem to have immediately stopped the bogus registrations.  I cleared the pre, wait, approval files, and all looks ok there too.  I just went through a new user registration from scratch, and it worked - all the right notifications and a new user who can logon.

I noticed that the user I have been trying to help was missing from the memberlist and member info, so I reran the rebuild memberlist and he got added back in. (not sure how he got deleted from there, but never mind)  However, I still cannot logon as him, using notepad on the system to set the pw in his member file to something known still doesn't work.  (yet this was how I got back into my own admin account)

I've come around to the fact that most (if not all) of my problems so far have been down to NTFS rights, so I'm giving IISUSR full control until it all works, then will remove what isn't necessary.

What would be very very useful for future installs is a little path/rights-check script.  I'm only just starting to learn PHP so don't know how to do it, but I know I could do this in ASP so I guess it would be possible.  Just attempt to read/write to each of the neccessary dirs/files, and trap the FS errors, to return something like....

VARS directory Error : READ=OK, WRITE=FAIL
Members directory OK : READ=OK, WRITE=OK

... somehing like that.  Just an idea.

I'm doing London to Brighton Cycle ride tomorrow, so won't be back again till Monday.  Thanks again for everyones efforts with this.

cheers!
Ian

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #73 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 7:23pm
Post Tools
Ian, you seem to be doing very well, and your forum looks great!

I'm very happy to know that the anti-spam questions mod stopped those pesky spam-bots. It's a wonderfully effective mod.

For those who don't already use it to know, this mod can be easily edited directly within the Admin Center to whatever questions you want to ask, which includes the number of questions you want to have rotated during registration (refreshing the registration page will list another question if you have more than one to ask).

Keep in mind that spam-bots don't have human brains attached, so you can actually provide answers to your questions if you want to make it easy for regular people to register.

As an example, what a person might see in our forum could be:
Code
Select All
To help us stop spam-bots, please answer the following question. What is 1 + 2? The answer is obviously 3. 

I like your idea to create "a little path/rights-check script" for future installs. I know of at least one other forum software that pretty much does this when an installation is failing. It's a pretty cool feature because it will literally list what's going on, and what to do so that the installation process can succeed.

Some developers will tell you that this can't be done, but it obviously can because it has been done. Even if all YaBB does is to include a comprehensive what-to-do guide for anything that might go wrong during the installation process, that in itself could make YaBB much more user friendly for those of us who aren't as smart as the rest of you when it comes to tech stuff.
You know, make it user friendly for the masses.  Smiley

As for that user you mentioned, rather than use your notepad program, I would suggest as Dandello has already suggested that you try changing their password through their User CP.

If you can't do this, then that particular file is obviously corrupted, in which case I would recreate a new account for them (using their same info). Then make sure to change the date of their registration to whatever their original date is, and I would think they'd be good to go.

If that doesn't work, then you can simply reload a copy of their corrupted membership files back onto the server until another solution can be figured out.

Not too long ago, one of our members jumped ahead of me by deleting his account, and then creating a new account before I could try different things to fix it, but his previous posts weren't a particular concern of his, so it worked out for him just fine.

Good luck, and have fun with your London to Brighton cycle ride tomorrow. I'm impressed. The only thing my wife and I are riding tomorrow will be our Jeep when we ride over to have brunch with friends of ours at their place.
You'll be burning calories. We'll be taking them in instead.  Smiley

IP Logged

sausagenet
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #74 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:19pm
Post Tools
Heh - well, with 5 minutes of research ...there is even a builtin command in perl:-)

die "Filename called '$filename' exists.\n"
    if -e $filename;

It should be fairly trivial to make a list of files/dirs and their required permissions, parse it, then test them using the -params listed below to make sure all files/dirs exist and their perms are correct.

-r File or directory is readable by this (effective) user or group

-w File or directory is writable by this (effective) user or group -

-x File or directory is executable by this (effective) user or group

-R File or directory is readable by this real user or group

-W File or directory is writable by this real user or group

-X File or directory is executable by this real user or group

-O File or directory is owned by this real user

-e File or directory name exists

-z File exists and has zero size (always false for directories)

-s File or directory exists and has nonzero size (the value is the size in bytes)

-d Entry is a directory

Read more at http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Perl/File-Tests-in-Perl/#X8tweK8HtO9DViJ8.99

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top