Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Attachments M.I.A (Read 4,541 times)
legrant
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Attachments M.I.A
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:29pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the help guys.

Jon - I've changed the Paths.pl file and re-PM'd you with it - I've changed it (wrongly obviously) and it still doesn't work  Sad

Thanks for the pointers Bill - I'll have a look at this too!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:40pm
Post Tools
legrant wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:29pm:
Thanks for the pointers Bill - I'll have a look at this too!

Yeah, the path setting suggestions I gave you based on your actual path settings you provided should work just fine (still keeping my fingers crossed).

You can find out one way or the other pretty quickly.  Cool

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:46pm
Post Tools
@ legrant

You have an email from my personal yahoo account with a fixed Paths.pl

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

legrant
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:56am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:46pm:
@ legrant

You have an email from my personal yahoo account with a fixed Paths.pl

Wink

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your help on this one but I'm afraid it still doesn't work.  Your updated Paths.pl also seems to remove the graphics.  Cry

However...

I've just uploaded a fresh - blank version of Yabb 2.5 to another bit of webspace (same host) and attachments are working fine.  I downloaded that Paths.pl and changed the domain name bit only. Uploaded to the 'broken' site it still reports that attachments are non-existant.

This makes me think this maybe isn't a paths issue after all but maybe something I'm importing from the old site is causing hell.

The site I'm trying to update is a YaBB 2.1 from a different host.  I'm currently uploading that (everything - all files) from the old host to the new host and I'll see if I can butcher the Paths.pl to get it to work.

I'll let you know how I get on!

IP Logged

legrant
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 11:57am
Post Tools
Update...

Just finished the copy of their YaBB 2.1 site to the new host and manually changes the Paths.pl and it is all working.

I will now attempt an update to 2.5 and see what happens.

Keep fingers crossed...

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 1:15pm
Post Tools
legrant wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 11:57am:
Keep fingers crossed...

i have just finished a old YaBB 1 Gold - SP1 update to YaBB 2.5 if after you do the update and the forum has Ex-Members that are fine on the 2.1 then on the 2.1 run Rebuild Members List and then copy over memberlist.txt to the yabb2/Convert/Members and reset the YaBB 2.5 to defalt and run Setup agen

Edited:
to add the YaBB 1 Gold - SP1 went from 42?? to 118921 after doing a Rebuild Members List on it
the memberlist.txt file went from 582KB to 1,556KB
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2012 at 1:30pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:15pm
Post Tools
legrant wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 11:57am:
Update...

Just finished the copy of their YaBB 2.1 site to the new host and manually changes the Paths.pl and it is all working.

Keep fingers crossed...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I love your persistence. You're the kind of guy who will always get things done.

Way to go!  Smiley

xnoddyx wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 1:15pm:
... i have just finished a old YaBB 1 Gold - SP1 update to YaBB 2.5 ...

I updated from YaBB 1 Gold - SP1 straight to YaBB 2.4 at a time when that was the latest newest version.

I was very unorthodox with the update since I was updating from a much older version, which at the time was probably 8 or 9 years old.

So I did a fresh install of YaBB 2.4 in a new folder, tested it, and then copied over the membership list and all existing messages.

I was left with two working versions of YaBB.

Keeping my fingers crossed, I put both versions into maintenance mode, changed the name of the old folder with the older version to mark it for deletion later, and then I changed the name of the new folder with the newest version to the same name that had been used for the old version.

I made sure to change the paths and directory setting to reflect the folder name changes, and this unorthodox method of updating successfully worked.

Because I had carefully planned this all out, I was probably in maintenance mode no longer than a few short minutes.

In the future when it comes time to update to a new stable version of YaBB, I think what I might do is to archive our current forum, and simply point people to the new forum that will be fresh, and presumably not weighted down with too many messages, etc.

So the older archived forum will become read-only for referencing, and the membership files will be copied/whatever to the new forum so that their usernames and passwords will work as they did in the archived forum.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to advocate for an easier way to install and update YaBB, because let's face it, even people with higher than average intelligence can get stymied with it all.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #22 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:01pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:15pm:
Meanwhile, I'll continue to advocate for an easier way to install and update YaBB, because let's face it, even people with higher than average intelligence can get stymied with it all.

YaBB is not that hard to install or update what makes it hard is the different server setups.
on a side note with them Linux or Windows IIS or Windows OS
for me Apache on Linux or Apache Windows xp Pro with some items disabled and some items added to secure it up i wont do Windows IIS

well i made this install video for 2.4 on a Linux server http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ic0PTG3dhc
i think its time for a update video and as updating from 1xx to 2xx is the hard part iel prob start there
some items to my to do list lol  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:03pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:54pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:01pm:
YaBB is not that hard to install or update what makes it hard is the different server setups.

Right you are; easy to install, and easy to update; relatively speaking, but ...

For the reasons that you mentioned, and other reasons as well, many people have a difficult time installing YaBB. That's just the way it is; obviously.

Or perhaps more correctly as you pointed out, the difficulty comes from other factors such as server setups.

And again, even "experts" get stymied with what is an otherwise "easy" installation. So when "they" have difficulty, it doesn't give a regular guy like me a lot of confidence about my ability to install YaBB.

As it happens, it's a fact that there is other forum software that is much easier to install and to get operational than YaBB is, which in large part is why so many webmasters have either moved away from YaBB, or they've simply chosen other forum software right from the start.

Despite this, I still consider YaBB to be the best forum software there is; probably because I've been using it since 2002, but nonetheless, it is great software. Regular users know this.

By the way, your installation video for YaBB is a terrific tutorial, and it along with others I guess should be part of YaBB's installation package. You know; kind of a welcome to YaBB package.

On the note of making YaBB an "easy" installation, I'm reminded of discussions about how YaBB has as lot of old coding that needs to be cleaned up (so does pretty much every other forum software).

Part of getting YaBB's code "cleaned up", and just as important, is cleaning up YaBB's installation instructions. They're a mess!

What to do?

1. Continue cleaning up YaBB's code.

2. Along with including one or more YaBB installation videos, any of which should be checked for accuracy, a "one stop shop" for instructions to install YaBB should be included. I'm thinking a single reference online tutorial so that it will always be kept updated with the best practices, etc.

One Idea: Provide a comprehensive installation page/section in the format of how YaBB's help pages are designed.

Currently, the installation instructions that come with YaBB's installation package has a number of mistakes in it. A comprehensive update is needed.

IP Logged

legrant
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #24 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:39pm
Post Tools
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone for all your help and kindness.

I've now got a working page!  Cheesy

I abandoned the site we were working on last night and started afresh this morning.  I moved a 2.1 to a new host and tonight successfully upgraded to 2.5.

I just need to get the client to OK it and then I can move it to a different host (dont ask!).

Thanks for all your time and effort - it really is appreciated.

Regards,

Lee

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #25 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 12:23am
Post Tools
Lee, thanks for giving us your update. It always helps to know how things turned out when problems get resolved.

More than anything, it seems like this was an issue with a host; not YaBB itself, which is good to know.

Congratulations!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools