Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic How can I delete ex-members? (Read 1,298 times)
RachelC
YaBB Newcomer

How can I delete ex-members?
Jun 25th, 2012 at 3:03pm
Post Tools
In my previous thread I had an issue of members being kicked off the forums and are now "ex-members'  We are working to reinstate our members.

Is there a way to delete the ex-members so that we can use the user names again?  For example, I was RachelC on my forum and when someone tried to create me again as RachelC, it said the name was already taken.  I am not listed as a member in the admin section, but I am on the forums.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Making banned usernames available again
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
If you are trying to reinstate those members who had been kicked out of your forums, go to:

Admin Center/Member Controls/Ban Members

In the Username banning text box, you can remove those usernames that you want to have available again.

By the way, regarding your RachelC username (or any other), you'll of course want to see what the status is. In other words, is it actually being used? Evidently, you're the one using it, right?

Edited:
Edited to add a question.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 4:07pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: How can I delete ex-members?
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 4:24pm
Post Tools
RachelC wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 3:03pm:
In my previous thread I had an issue of members being kicked off the forums and are now "ex-members'  We are working to reinstate our members.

Is there a way to delete the ex-members so that we can use the user names again?  For example, I was RachelC on my forum and when someone tried to create me again as RachelC, it said the name was already taken.  I am not listed as a member in the admin section, but I am on the forums.

Thanks!

Hi RachelC in newer yabbs when a member is delete all posts from that user will be marked as "RachelC ex-members" and to stop new members from claiming old posts

e.g. old RachelC member start 01/01/2009 member delete 01/01/2010
new member RachelC member start 02/01/2010 will not get the posts from member RachelC member start 01/01/2009 as this will stay ex-members as the new RachelC has start date of 02/01/2010 and not 01/01/2009

so to Quote:
and when someone tried to create me again as RachelC, it said the name was already taken.
this means there is a new user with the ID: of RachelC to sort this you can ask the admin to mail this new RachelC and see if she will give you this ID back and if she agrees to this

the admin can then edit the RachelC profile put your email add back in and then edit the start date of it to the time when you started and then you will have all your posts back
if she if she says no then not much you can do but start over as a new member

Edited:
and im shore running Maintenance Controls > Rebuild Members History
will rebuild post count don't quote me on that thou

And if Ban Member and not delete then as
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 4:05pm:
If you are trying to reinstate those members who had been kicked out of your forums, go to:

In the Username banning text box, you can remove those usernames that you want to have available again.

By the way, regarding your RachelC username (or any other), you'll of course want to see what the status is. In other words, is it actually being used? Evidently, you're the one using it, right?

Edited:
Edited to add a question.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 4:38pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

RachelC
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 5:42pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 4:05pm:

There aren't any names in the Username Banning section  Undecided

I am (was) RachelC on my forum, and I am one of the admins.  But RachelC is now an 'ex-member' and I was reinstated by another admin as Rachel.  This has happened to several other members as well and we would like to give them their identities back.  It tells me RachelC is taken (as an ex-member) and I cannot release it so I can reclaim it.

I can't even delete the ex-members (some of them were purposely deleted) as they are not in the admin section member list (but they are still on the member list on the forums).

Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 5:43pm by RachelC »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Post Tools
RachelC wrote on Jun 25th, 2012 at 5:42pm:
It tells me RachelC is taken (as an ex-member) and I cannot release it so I can reclaim it.

See http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1202251271

or http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1340636582/#2

hope this helps if not can you pm me.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:26pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the clarification. For you personally this can be an easy fix. Then you can help other people in the same way, more or less.

As I now understand it, you are in the forum as Rachel with the classification of being a YaBB Administrator. You are also showing up as an ex member with the name of RachelC.

I presume you want to be known as RachelC in your forum, and that you want to continue being an administrator.

If this is the case, and since RachelC is showing up as an ex member, you should be able to pull up that account by clicking on the associated UserCP link. The following steps should do it:

1. Log into your forum using your active Rachel administrator account.

2. Pull up the RachelC account, and click the Modify icon (use your Rachel admin password to access that account, and to modify it).

3. Click Admin Edits.

4. In the text box titled, "Position:", click the arrow and choose YaBB Administrator.

5. Click Save Changes.

That should do it.

At this point you'll have two administrator accounts. If you want to only have one admin account, and you want that to be your RachelC account, then log in to your RachelC account, and delete the Rachel account.

By the way, and this should be a given, if you have the ability to back up the files in your membership folder, it's a good idea to do this in case you need to upload any of the membership files if a mistake is inadvertently made.

Actually, you should back up the entire forum before making changes.

By the way, if you back up your forum via WinSCP, after it's been backed up, you can very quickly perform up-to-date backups on a regular basis by simply updating only those files that have been changed.

Recommendation: Always keep 2 or 3 backups of your forum for additional reference if or when it's needed, and then rotate them out when a fresh backup has begun (all files; not just those that have been changed).

Please let us know how this turns out for you; the fixing of your RachelC account. Thanks.

Edited:
Edited to remove Rachel's quotation since this is/was an active topic.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:30pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top