Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) newbie with a couple questions` (Read 2,852 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: newbie with a couple questions`
Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Non-YaBB Programming and Technical Help [move by] Dandello.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:35am
Post Tools
Carbonite.com

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:43pm:
On a related note that should be a given, everyone should have a reliable backup for their computer files, which should include outside servers that should be mirrored on your computer.

Agreed.

Thats why I keep a backup of the backup on 2 seperate drives.  Grin

Some of my friends call it OCD.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:49pm by WestwegoMan »  
<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Keeping reliable backups
Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:43pm
Post Tools
Regarding YaBB backup, one should read this carefully:

Code
Select All
YaBB directories
Check/Uncheck all
If you select all of these options, you will have a complete copy of your forum (recommended).
But this can cause recovery problems in xx-large forums. In this case it is better to do a Backup for all more or less static directories and separate Backups for the Boards, Members and Messages directories! 

My personal recommendation: However you choose to back up your forum, it's best to have it backed up using more than just one method.

On a related note that should be a given, everyone should have a reliable backup for their computer files, which should include outside servers that should be mirrored on your computer.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB backp feature
Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:34pm
Post Tools
Thanks for that perspective. It helps to know when people are successful with any given feature of YaBB. Or when something they do didn't work.

I'll have to try YaBB backup to see how it works. It can't hurt, right?  Wink

In any case, especially with backups, I think it's best to use more than one option in case any one of them fails.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:37pm
Post Tools
Unix server and local Windows system here. I use Filezilla and have the bad habit of wanting to use the auto transfer type feature within Filezilla which works most of the time. Therefore, I have always prefered the backup feature within YaBB due to the worry about ascii vs binary.

When I upgraded to 2.5, I did a backup of the old forum and was unaware that I had improperly copied some of the photos, which were lost in the backup due to distortion. This, I believe was due to accidentally backing them up in ascii instead of binary. Even tho I used the auto feature, the photos were screwed Cry

I had deleted the origional files before I realized that I had screwed up. Angry

The things that we learn through our mistakes.

In the end, to my best knowledge, backing up the forum with the backup feature where it is zipped, prevents this problem.

To each their own  Smiley

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Using straight backups versus encryption
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 5:30pm
Post Tools
I forgot to mention that backing up files the normal way versus zipping them is actually faster. At least it has been for me; a lot faster! Go figure.

It's good to remember, too, that keeping a YaBB forum backed up is a fast operation when most of what is done is only backing up new or updated files (after an initial full backup, which doesn't have to be done that often).

Throughout the day when I'm around to do it, our forum is backed up numerous times, and those incremental backups are done very quickly unless there's been a lot of activity. But even then, those incremental backups are generally pretty fast.

Bottom line: Webmasters should rely on what works best for them. As a practical matter, I prefer unencrypted backups.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jun 27th, 2012 at 4:15pm:
@ Bill:

Except they are so big and slow that way...  + if you have Unix server, and a local Windows system, there is the matter of filename collisions.

Wink

Thanks!

I've never known about file name collisions. I guess I've been lucky.

As for the size of any given straight file backup versus TAR or zipped files, I've always wondered why the sizes seem to be close to the same size. As such, I've never fully understood why anyone would want to back up their files using either of those methods.

I remember an online reference related to this from Corey about my use of a particular backup program versus the one he uses. Both the one he uses, and the one I use back up files as they are rather than encrypting them, so he must think that's okay to do.

Even though I like the backup program I've been using, and I continue to use it, the one that Corey mentioned actually seems more robust. But I haven't actually used it to know.

In any case, all of the files on our server have regular TAR backups even though I've never personally used them to retrieve files.

Instead, I simply retrieve the file or files I need from straight backups I have, and so far at least, it's never been a problem.

Of course, while editing YaBB files (or any other files) it's obviously so much easier to simply do a quick backup of the file or files I'm working on versus zipping them, which of course would make no sense with only one or a few files.

On a directly related note, the reason I still rely on straight file backups is because of previous problems many years ago when I needed to retrieve files from an encrypted compression, and more often than not, those zipped files were corrupted.

But then, I was using a Windows program, so maybe that was the real problem.  Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 4:15pm
Post Tools
@ Bill:

Quote:
Food for thought: For me personally it's been a big advantage to have backups that are the actual files versus a TAR or zipped backup (our server staff performs regular TAR backups).Food for thought: For me personally it's been a big advantage to have backups that are the actual files versus a TAR or zipped backup (our server staff performs regular TAR backups).

Except they are so big and slow that way...  + if you have Unix server, and a local Windows system, there is the matter of filename collisions.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Solved! Re: newbie with a couple questions`
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Post Tools
marine193 wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 5:26pm:
*****  A N S W E R E D   A N D   C L O S E D *****

That's what I like to see when problems need to be solved. Thanks for letting us know. Cool

Food for thought: For me personally it's been a big advantage to have backups that are the actual files versus a TAR or zipped backup (our server staff performs regular TAR backups).

That way, as I've done before many times, I can easily retrieve just one file if that's all I need.  Cool

Quick & convenient!  Smiley

Edited:
My food for thought may be a little tainted. So from an expert, keep in mind the following:

JonB wrote on Jun 27th, 2012 at 4:15pm:
@ Bill:

Except they are so big and slow that way...  + if you have Unix server, and a local Windows system, there is the matter of filename collisions.

Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2012 at 4:59pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

marine193
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 5:26pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the quick reply.  I am already using a tar backup script to backup the complete system. 

Again thanks.
john

*****  A N S W E R E D   A N D   C L O S E D *****

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 5:03pm
Post Tools
marine193 wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 4:32pm:
1.  Can I automate the YaBB built in backup to backup files to external hard drive?

In YaBB 2.4 there's no automatic backup setting. However, mainly because YaBB backs up files by zipping them, I wouldn't recommend using the YaBB Backup in your Admin Center (or use it as an additional backup).

As for backing up your files to an external hard drive, that's a wise choice versus having your files backed up on the same drive that hosts your forum.

As for automating your backups to an external drive, you can do this securely with the WinSCP program (downloaded from this page as freeware - or maybe you'll want to use your FTP program to do this).

In addition to backing up your files to an external drive, I recommend having an additional backup on your computer's hard drive as well.

marine193 wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 4:32pm:
2. My new post led blinks yellow all the time either with new posts or not.  Any Ideas how to fix this?

If you mean the blinking icon that looks like this, , which usually shows just above the forum statistics as it does in this forum, then that's okay. This is part of YaBB's legend, and it's supposed to continually flash to let you know what it means (verus for "No New Posts").

But that's the only place it should be blinking unless of course there are new posts in any given category.

Enjoy your YaBB forum!  Cool

Edited:
Edited to add another choice for keeping YaBB files backed up.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2012 at 5:09pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

marine193
YaBB Newcomer

newbie with a couple questions`
Jun 26th, 2012 at 4:32pm
Post Tools
1.  Can I automate the YaBB built in backup to backup files to external hard drive?
2.  My new post led blinks yellow all the time either with new posts or not.  Any Ideas how to fix this?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top