Registration problem (Read 557 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Re: Registration problem
Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 1:36am
There are no actions to perform.
Not necessarily directed at JonB.

Just to whoever would be the one to pull the trigger on installing one. I know there is also the problem where there may not be one available that is compatible with the current version of YaBB that is running here.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 1:26am
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:39pm:
Horsey, we have brought you to the trough....

Please drink for us Wink PLEASE!!!  Grin

My gut's telling me that JonB might be hamstrung in what he's allowed to do here. After all, I believe he uses anti-spam mods in forums that he has complete control over, so one would think he'd install one or more in this forum if he was allowed. I'm pretty sure he knows how to use the BoardMod program, so I think there's something else going on.

It can be such a soap opera behind the scenes at YaBB.  Wink

I haven't contacted Corey about this directly to see how he feels about this issue. Others have convinced me there's much more to laugh about than to be concerned about, so I'm kind of thinking that people in general want to see how long this forum will go before an anti-spam mod is installed.

For those of you who are old enough to know, it's sort of like watching the Keystone Cops.

Edited:
depablo wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:39pm:
Now that was funny   Grin
Sometimes it's good to laugh at the absurd. Seriously, it's all very comical. Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2012 at 1:36am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:39pm
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:23pm:
On the other hand, for those of us who've installed anti-spam mods, we've learned that hu-bots are rarely a problem. But even if they did actually become an overwhelming problem, thankfully YaBB already has in its Admin Center options to stop hu-bots from posting.

Now all thats left to do is get YaBB to install one on this forum.

As you already know, a forum or any other web application that has a membership is useless without some sort of anti-spam protection other than CAPTCHA. Without it, it's just an invitation to be bombarded by spamtards.

Horsey, we have brought you to the trough....

Please drink for us Wink PLEASE!!!  Grin

<div class=

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:39pm
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:18pm:
Not for you because no anti-spam mods are installed in this forum. Roll Eyes

Now that was funny   Grin

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Spam-bots - Re: Registration problem
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:23pm
What's particularly upsetting about spam-bots is that they can fool admins into thinking they're hu-bots because their automation has gotten so sophisticated. It's not uncommon for the smartest of people to get fooled by this.

On the other hand, for those of us who've installed anti-spam mods, we've learned that hu-bots are rarely a problem. But even if they did actually become an overwhelming problem, thankfully YaBB already has in its Admin Center options to stop hu-bots from posting.

Edited:
Edited to correct yet another typo.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:29pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:56pm
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:18pm:
Not for you because no anti-spam mods are installed in this forum.

I was thinking the same thing earlier.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:18pm
iatkrox wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 4:46pm:
There are no problem at registration Wink  

Not for you because no anti-spam mods are installed in this forum. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:31pm
taxineil wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:54pm:
Dandello and Bill-your help is truly appreciated ...

Funny how you get drawn in deeper and deeper and learn as your going...maybe we should thank spambots  Winkneil

I'm always glad to help. It makes me feel good. I just wish I had the knowledge that Dandello has because then I'd really be able to tackle problems. All she has to do is to look at the back of her hand for solutions; virtually written right there as if it's part of her DNA.

I, on the other hand, pun intended, need to do a lot of reading, and studying.  Tongue

I agree, it is funny how one can get drawn in deeper and deeper when trying to learn about something. Should I be thanking spam-bots?

I think you may be right about that.  Smiley

Spam-bots are the reason I got involved in this forum again. I was at my wit's end with many hundreds of spam-bots trying to register in our forum each and every day.

Subsequently, after implementing an anti-spam hack, and then anti-spam mods, many hundreds of thousands of spam-bot registrations have been stopped cold.

I was about to shutter our forum in favor of another way for visitors to our site to gather, and communicate when people here in this forum came to our rescue.

Kiss Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Kiss

Good luck with jumping up along that learning curve. It's not only good for the mind, but it's good for the soul as well. Strangely enough, even your body will feel better as well. Go figure.

IP Logged

taxineil
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:54pm
Dandello and Bill-your help is truly appreciated,I will do what you suggest Bill and study as much as I can on this subject-I know the lady who is having trouble registering is reading this too and I'm sure she will also start studying.Funny how you get drawn in deeper and deeper and learn as your going...maybe we should thank spambots  Winkneil

Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:32pm
Neil (with one noted exception - see below), the dirty little secret about using CAPTCHA verification codes is that they are easily defeated by spam-bot automation. Your forum is clearly a popular one, so you're going to be a particularly attractive destination for spam-bots.

But here's the good news: Spam-bots can be stopped cold with either Carsten's SpamFruit mod or Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod (there are YaBB forums that use both).

Note: The BoardMod software is needed to install these mods (downloaded from this page - although as I understand it, manual installation can be implemented).

The BoardMod Project's website is here.

Also, and I apologize for not having a link to it here, but somewhere there's a video that shows you how to use the BoardMod program. Maybe you can ask about it over there (you'll need to register). Seeing that video was a great help for me.

In terms of sorting out code, I'm actually in the same boat as you are because a lot of coding is way over my head. In fact, sadly for me, I had to do a lot of reading about how to install, and use BoardMod before I could use it. I was at the bottom of that learning curve.

Thankfully, I got encouragement from people here in this forum to give BoardMod a try. Gratefully, I also got invaluable help and information directly from Derek about the Anti-Spam Question mod he created.

Note: I think the anti-spam mods may have been written specifically for YaBB 2.5 - but they both work perfectly fine with the 2.4 version I use. I see that you use the 2.2 version of YaBB, but I'm pretty sure other admins have been able to successfully install these mods with that 2.2 version.

Recommendation: Read about these mods on the BoardMod Project's website, and study how they are to be installed.

Alternatively, in what I now call "Plan B," you may want to do what I did when this stuff was just too much over my head, and implement a CAPTCHA modification that for our forum stopped spam-bots cold.

Affectionately and gratefully, those of us who have used it call it "ggn's anti-spam hack" (current details about how to implement this clever manual modification can be read here).

Smiley Thank you again ggn! Smiley

Good luck to you and your friends who are using YaBB!  Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:53pm
Unfortunately, to solve some of these issues requires you to have 'file level' access to the working files on the server (like through the file manager on cPanel or Plesk or whatever GUI the host is using or FTP access) to add some anti-spam mods or make other code changes. (The mod instructions are usually pretty straightforward if you're careful. If the forum hasn't been altered substantially then the BoardMod program can do it for you very nicely.

The 403 issue has to be handled from that level as well.

But once you have access, it's not nearly as bad as tax forms.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:54pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

taxineil
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:48am
Thanks once again Bill for your help.
Neither of these sites belong to me,I am just helping sort out certain problems they have with spam.Over 1400 had registered,spent a couple of hours banning them all and reset captcha which has eased the problem by about 90 odd attempts a day Roll Eyes.
As for the 403 problem I dont have skills for sorting that out,I can follow simple instructions but somethings like code leave me Cheesy a bit like tax forms do Coolneil

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:09pm
I should have mentioned the obvious, that modifying your site's 403 Forbidden error message can be an instant fix versus having to deal with the delay of propagating a redirection.

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:10pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:02pm
taxineil wrote on Jun 30th, 2012 at 6:34pm:
... our new site which was either hacked or brought down by one of their techs ...

Neil, I realized this after reading one of your forum's posts about it. Hopefully you'll be able to get this fixed sooner than later.

Fortunately, visitors have your current forum to access.  Cool

I guess depending on how much downtime you'll be having with your other site, you might want to have it temporarily redirected to a post in your current forum to let people know what's going on.

As I've done it before with our DirectNIC registrar, I believe you can do this easily enough through your Go Daddy account. Then, when your other site is back online, and it's working as you want it to, you can just as easily redirect it to the IP address you have assigned for it.

Or better yet, which is what I would recommend, you can modify your 403 Forbidden error message to describe what's going on with a link to your current forum so that visitors to your other site won't feel abandoned.

Good luck!  Wink

IP Logged

taxineil
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 6:34pm
Thank you for your help Bill-those 2 links you mentioned linked to our new site which was either hacked or brought down by one of their techs,no one seems to know which Roll Eyeshopefully they may recover all that was lost.neil

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top