Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic YaBB 2.5: display title of subject in thread? (Read 2,994 times)
K-Forum
YaBB Newcomer

None
YaBB 2.5: display title of subject in thread?
Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:20am
Post Tools
Hello, months ago I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5. Seems to work fine, except for one thing:
The title of the subject is not displayed in message-view. It does get displayed in the "most recent posts"-section and for the first posting of each thread. But the "Re: subject"- Line does not show up in the answers anymore- it got lost with the upgrade.

It's not only confusing to not see the headline while reading a thread. Since many users (including myself) had frequently used the title to express highly important thoughts in the past that now have disappeared: Is there a way to get the subject displayed again in 2.5.?

I would be glad if somebody had a suggestion.
Thanks in advance!
KForum

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: YaBB 2.5: display title of subject in thread?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Post Tools
In Display.template find
Code
Select All
$messageblock = qq~
<div class="displaycontainer">

Beneath that is a table that holds the post date. In that table ( or at least in that section of code) add
Code
Select All
{yabb subject} 

where you want the message subject to be.

You can probably add that code somewhere else in the message block but that seems to be a logical place.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

K-Forum
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:53pm
Post Tools
Thanks a lot, Dandello!

That solved the problem.

Hmm,... there are probably even more tweaks I can do in Display.template...

Cheers!
KForum

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 3:00pm
Post Tools
So long as you don't mess with the stuff inside the curly brackets and stick with the obvious html code, the templates are eminently tweakable. (I've got mine to a fully compliant html5.  Grin )

Of course, I didn't stop at the templates. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 3:01pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

K-Forum
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:17am
Post Tools
Hi Dandello,

well, I already started tweaking and messing around (far from being fully compliant to anything yet...).
To prevent the subject from being displayed totally aligned left I added a "middle" column to the messageblock and adjusted the width(s). Now the subject has its own personal span-thing:

Code
Select All
<span class="small" style="float: left; width: 29%; vertical-align: middle; padding-top: 4px;">
			<span>{yabb msgimg}{yabb subject}</span>
		</span> 

And I moved the "msgimg" so subject and the tiny image get displayed together. Like the image or not- it makes sense somehow.

Now, it would be nice if the title/subject itself would link to its message. But I do not know where to link the curly-bracket-subject to. As I'm not so much into all those brackets: Could you help me once more, please? What would be the right code to do so?

Thank you very much
KForum

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 3:42pm
Post Tools
I'm away from my main computer for the holiday so can't look at actual code but as I recall {yabb msgimg} should have the link 'built-in'.

The stuff in the curly brackets is what is being brought in from the processing script. (For Display.template it's Sources/Display.pl, but there are some other scripts involved too.)  So messing with what's inside the curly brackets is best left for when you have a full backup, time to toast your forum when nobody's looking (or on a test forum) and a copy of 'Programming Perl' open on your desk. Not to mention a big pot of your favorite caffeine fix.

Been there, done that and have multiple test forums just for breaking. Smiley

IP Logged

K-Forum
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 3:42pm:
but as I recall {yabb msgimg} should have the link 'built-in'.

Yes it has. And thanks for your reply. But I wanted the {yabb subject} itself to link to the respective answer. I thought I might get rid of the msimg then, cause I never really liked this tiny dog's eared sheet in the left upper corner.

But as it is combined with the subject now and displayed in the message area I begin to like it. May be the start of a new relationship, whoknows... And I think I don't need the {yabb subject} to link anymore. One linking dog's ear is enough linking, no need to double it.

So everything is OK for me now. Have a nice holiday and thank you!
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2012 at 4:34pm by K-Forum »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 5:40pm
Post Tools
K-Forum wrote on Jul 4th, 2012 at 4:33pm:
I thought I might get rid of the msimg then, cause I never really liked this tiny dog's eared sheet in the left upper corner.

But as it is combined with the subject now and displayed in the message area I begin to like it.

I suppose one could replace what you call that "dog's ear" with another icon.

As it is now, for example, shows up in this forum, and respectively in pretty much every other forum as well.

In this forum, that icon is of course located at the following link:
Code
Select All
http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/xx.gif 

By the way, as you may or may not have noticed, that "dog's ear" icon is a "message icon" that people can change as they see fit in their posts. I believe that are 12 default icons from which to choose.

That "dog's ear" is the "Standard" message icon.

In contrast, as I chose it with my reply here, which you can see, is another message icon that's called "Wink" in the choices that we're given.

I'm particularly fond of YaBB's clickable message icon ... whatever has been chosen ... because it gives me a quick reference to any given post, which I routinely include on the main pages of our site to identity particular posts in our forum.

If you were to choose a different icon for your "Standard" message icon, the fastest and most efficient way to do this, and do it all at once throughout your forum, is to simply replace that *"xx.gif" icon with another gif file.

* Important recommendation: If or when you do this, make sure that you keep a copy of that icon set aside in case you want to use it again. So maybe copy it as "xx-original.gif" if you replace "xx.gif" with another gif icon of your choice.

* This method of changing an icon is a "webmaster trick" that's been used for as long as I've had sites online (starting in 1996) ... and obviously before I went online for the first time.

An example of this is swapping out a site's logo with a new design on a semi-regular basis. With the name staying the same, it's an easy swap to make.

Ain't it fun to operate a YaBB forum?  Smiley

Edited:
Edited to correct a mistake; not 1976; but 1996!

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2012 at 5:44pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 2:50am
Post Tools
Personally, I don't like that 'dogear' graphic, myself, as just a generic message image, though I do like giving people a chance to choose special images when they like. So I created a tiny 2 px invisible graphic which I named xx.gif (or jpg or whatever kind of graphic it was) and overwrote the original image.

Therefore, if nobody specifically chooses a message icon, none shows up. Personally, I like it that way.

And remember my Add More Message Icons tutorial over on Boardmod if you want to add more options to your message icon list. <ggg>

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top