Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 2 YaBB forums on same site (Read 3,397 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: 2 YaBB forums on same site
Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 5:46pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 5:29pm:
The join dates in the old vars files may cause issues as the new forum will have a younger start date. (Unless you set the start date for the new forum as the same as the old one.)

Thank you!

I hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense to have a start date the same as the original forum, because in truth, a new/fresh forum for our purposes will simply be an extension of the old/archived forum.

It's kind of like the start date of our company, which was founded in 1976, but which has had numerous other start dates because of licensing requirements in different jurisdictions.

Or maybe it's like the start date of my marriage, which has been reformatted from time to time.  Wink

A "best practices" thing for me to do is to make notes about these things in a folder for when I give this a try.

And yes, I'll first test it all out in forums that are just test forums.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 5:43pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 5:29pm:
The join dates in the old vars files may cause issues as the new forum will have a younger start date. (Unless you set the start date for the new forum as the same as the old one.)

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

<div class=

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 5:29pm
Post Tools

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 4:38pm:
Then with the new/fresh forum I'll want members to be able to use their usernames and passwords to access it versus having to join as a new member.

As you probably already know, thats as simple as copying the old members to the members folder in the new YaBB forum that you set up.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 4:38pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:44pm:
This might be a Cookie issue ...

Edit: JonB Answered while I did - I see that he's not as optimistic as I am about just using one Cookie.

Keeping in mind that I know the least of any of you about this stuff ...  Roll Eyes

I think you as a group are coming up with something here. The cookies thing seems pretty brilliant, so from my perspective that could go a long way to having side-by-side forums.

Personally, as I've mentioned before, what I'll want at some point may be an easier thing to do.

That is, eventually I'll want to archive our forum to make it read-only, which means that people won't have to log in to access, and reference it (kind of like this forum's Codex).

Then with the new/fresh forum I'll want members to be able to use their usernames and passwords to access it versus having to join as a new member.

Why?

As I understand it, pretty much any forum can get too large to operate, i.e., it can get bogged down, etc.

But maybe I'm not understanding this correctly.  Undecided

On a related note about how big a forum can get, I'd like to be able to assure entertainment companies that a forum can be a better way to sustain a fan base with many comments. Or that a forum can accompany a show as a fourth wall to involve, and interact with an audience.

After all, YaBB is so much better at keeping things organized versus a place like Facebook where it's just one big online conversation that gets lost in its history line-up.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:44pm
Post Tools
BloodyRue wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 5:20am:
I haven't worked all the weirdnesses out yet but it works close to what I want. One thing I have yet to figure out is how to have it logged in on 1 of the boards and transfer to the other board and still be logged in. Each of the separate boards recognize the user with the same info, but if not logged in yet it requires a new login. However, if you set the flag to be remembered as logged in, you can go from one to the other boards after you initially log in on each of them

This might be a Cookie issue - I'm betting the Cookies all have different names, so you're dealing with multiple Cookies each of which has it's own info. You can change the Cookie names in the Admin centers. I expect that if you were dealing with just one Cookie for all the boards, the first login would be the one to save the info and you'd have the effect you're looking for.

Edit: JonB Answered while I did - I see that he's not as optimistic as I am about just using one Cookie.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:45pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:39pm
Post Tools
@bloodyrue -

That was what I was referring to. The problems lie with the YaBB cookies' Session values.

It is not for the faint of heart, nor for inexperienced Admins  Grin

Good Luck westwagoman  Wink

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 6:06am
Post Tools
Decided to just add another "yabbfiles" folder with a slightly different name just to avoid any conflict with backups and other things that yabb looks at in that folder such as attachment directory size etc.

<div class=

IP Logged

BloodyRue

None
Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 5:20am
Post Tools
I have a main "hub" board that currently serves to 2 other "spoke" boards so far. I plan on adding more.

I use the same variables path for each board but separate message paths.

I had to adjust and add variables in the admin section to fix things that the separate paths do when you do maintenance stuff. It involves checking which board it is and applying some adjustments to the paths for it.

I haven't worked all the weirdnesses out yet but it works close to what I want. One thing I have yet to figure out is how to have it logged in on 1 of the boards and transfer to the other board and still be logged in. Each of the separate boards recognize the user with the same info, but if not logged in yet it requires a new login. However, if you set the flag to be remembered as logged in, you can go from one to the other boards after you initially log in on each of them.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 12:55am
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:01pm:
Hello all -

I have have many servers (over 4) with multiple YaBB installs

This is very helpful. Thank you!  Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:01pm
Post Tools
Hello all -

I have have many servers (over 4) with multiple YaBB installs

for instance:

IF they are in the same domain:

in cgi-bin

/cgi-bin/yabb23
---- a 2.3 install
/cgi-bin/yabb24
---- a 2.4 install

URLS will be:
http://yourdoamin.com/yabb23/YaBB.pl
http://yourdoamin.com/yabb24/YaBB.pl

in "Public_html" or whatever your DocumentRoot is:

public_html/yabb23files
public_html/yabb24files

URL's will be:
http://yourdomain.com/yabb23files
http://yourdomain.com/yabb24files

OR name them by the 'install"

/cgi-bin/yabb2
/cgi-bin/yabb2ducks

and

/public_html/yabbfiles
/public_html/yabbduckfiles

You can do some 'out there' stuff like 'sharing' folders in the same version, but it is an invitation to disaster.

IF they are in separate domains (vhosts or IIS virtual servers) they will not conflict anyway, as they will be in separate webspaces.

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:58pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:49pm:
My last official computer class was during the Dark Ages with punch cards. Smiley

This was kind of the same for me, too. Punch cards were my first introduction to how computers work.

Knowing this made me think I was pretty hot stuff.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
Sheesh! Three posts in a row? Not cool!  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:59pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:55pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:36am:
Bill: Facebook and the others all have major server resources.

That's all it is? No wonder. Good to know.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:51pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 3:45am:
The Codex doesn't need a login - it's open for everyone to read and search.

As it should be!  Smiley

Of course, it's best to pull up the codex with Internet Explorer versus Firefox because the language images still haven't been fixed, so it still doesn't render properly.

Corey was going to fix this after he got back from his vacation, so I guess he forgot about it.

Oh, if I only had access, 'cause it's a really easy fix!  Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
My last official computer class was during the Dark Ages with punch cards. Let's just say that IBM learned a lot about what beginners can do to mess up a main frame from my little HS cohort.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top