Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 2 YaBB forums on same site (Read 3,472 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
2 YaBB forums on same site
Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:37pm
Post Tools
If I wanted to run 2 forums on one site and have them both share the same files from the "yabbfiles" folder, would there be anything that might go haywire?

Or should I have a seperate folder for each forums files?

Guess I should add that they would both be the same version. (2.5)
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:38pm by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: 2 YaBB forums on same site
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:13am
Post Tools
The only problem I see with two forums sharing the same yabbfiles directory is uploaded avatars and attachments. I'm not sure if there would be naming conflicts there. (Or how the Manage Attachments in Admin would handle it.)  But you could certainly have two Avatar and Attachment directories inside yabbfiles (ie: Avatar1 and Avatar2). The path to those would be in Paths.pl and each YaBB install will have its own with the other graphics etc. all shared.

BTW, without worrying about attachments and avatars, I've had several YaBB installs using the same yabbfiles folder on quick test installs.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:14am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:25am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:13am:
BTW, without worrying about attachments and avatars, I've had several YaBB installs using the same yabbfiles folder on quick test installs.

Years ago when I had a few YaBB forums operating on one of our servers, I also used the same yabbfiles folder without any problems. But then, we hadn't enabled the attachments feature.

As for avatars, I don't remember having a conflict using the same folder. But, there obviously would be a conflict with uploaded avatars that have the same name.

However, as it's been pointed out, separate and unique directories for attachments and avatars could be easily referenced in respective Admin Centers.

On a somewhat related note, I'm thinking of someday archiving our current forum as a read-only forum for referencing in favor of a freshly installed forum.

The big question for me to have answered at some point is, "How big can a YaBB forum get without it having operational problems?"

I mean, at what point do I really need to archive a forum?  Undecided

This discussion makes me wonder how it is that companies like Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Twitter can manage so effectively while having so many members collectively making so many posts?

That gets to thinking how YaBB would look if it was simply one huge forum with one big membership database, i.e., a front page of YaBB that literally included every possible forum category that is online.

Don't get me started!  Roll Eyes

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:44am
Post Tools
Didn't think about the avatars. If I do it, i'll make a seperate avatar folder just to be safe.

I guess the other question would be, could they share the same membership. Have registrations only allowed on forum 1 but be able to login and post to both forums.

Bill Myers wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:25am:
Don't get me started!  

Get you started.... Never Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:45am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:36am
Post Tools
Sharing membership files is a whole different kettle of fish. You're now talking about having registrations active on only Forum-A (doable) while having forum-B use the membership files from Forum-A. Here you may have some issues with things like last login and cookies as some of the information will be written to the vars file.

In theory you can set the path for the membership files in Paths.pl on Forum-B to point to Forum-A. In theory this should work. It's not something I've heard tried before.

Another possibility would be to have the registration info written to both forum Member directories during successful registration activation on Forum-A (This means hard-coding some path info and additional write-to-file code into Forum-A's Sources/Register.pl and maybe a few other places as well - I haven't looked.)
This would give you one registration forum but then each member would have two vars files - one for each forum.

Bill: Facebook and the others all have major server resources.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:50am
Post Tools
Oh well, might get complicated. Maybe I should just do seperate memberships if I go that route. I didn't think about last logins etc...

I had actually thought it may work since YaBB has the codex section of the forum. Although, I have never tried to login there since it would be pointless.

Its been a long day. Think I will sleep on it.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 3:45am
Post Tools
The Codex doesn't need a login - it's open for everyone to read and search.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:17pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:37pm:
If I wanted to run 2 forums on one site and have them both share the same files from the "yabbfiles" folder, would there be anything that might go haywire?

Or should I have a seperate folder for each forums files?

Guess I should add that they would both be the same version. (2.5)

i did this with 2.3.1 and 2.4 and dident have any probs and only did it as yabb dont have sub-boards and at the time i needed sub-boards for different parts i had everything the same apart from the Boards dir and the Messages dir and the Backups dir hope this is of help  Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:18pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:33pm
Post Tools
I'm gonna give it a try on my test board. I figure it can't hurt.

As for backups, I may need to do the seperate directories for forum B manually since it will have a different name. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:44pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:33pm:
I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Please do!

Dandello's test boards have inspired me to do a test board of my own; not to do what she does, and create a better YaBB; but to simply teach myself about how to more successfully use YaBB.

That's not to say I wouldn't do what Dandello seems to so easily do when she works with code, but compared to her intelligence about this stuff, I'm an ameoba in training.

I knew I should have studied more when I was in school!  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
My last official computer class was during the Dark Ages with punch cards. Let's just say that IBM learned a lot about what beginners can do to mess up a main frame from my little HS cohort.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:51pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 3:45am:
The Codex doesn't need a login - it's open for everyone to read and search.

As it should be!  Smiley

Of course, it's best to pull up the codex with Internet Explorer versus Firefox because the language images still haven't been fixed, so it still doesn't render properly.

Corey was going to fix this after he got back from his vacation, so I guess he forgot about it.

Oh, if I only had access, 'cause it's a really easy fix!  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:55pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:36am:
Bill: Facebook and the others all have major server resources.

That's all it is? No wonder. Good to know.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:58pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:49pm:
My last official computer class was during the Dark Ages with punch cards. Smiley

This was kind of the same for me, too. Punch cards were my first introduction to how computers work.

Knowing this made me think I was pretty hot stuff.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
Sheesh! Three posts in a row? Not cool!  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:59pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:01pm
Post Tools
Hello all -

I have have many servers (over 4) with multiple YaBB installs

for instance:

IF they are in the same domain:

in cgi-bin

/cgi-bin/yabb23
---- a 2.3 install
/cgi-bin/yabb24
---- a 2.4 install

URLS will be:
http://yourdoamin.com/yabb23/YaBB.pl
http://yourdoamin.com/yabb24/YaBB.pl

in "Public_html" or whatever your DocumentRoot is:

public_html/yabb23files
public_html/yabb24files

URL's will be:
http://yourdomain.com/yabb23files
http://yourdomain.com/yabb24files

OR name them by the 'install"

/cgi-bin/yabb2
/cgi-bin/yabb2ducks

and

/public_html/yabbfiles
/public_html/yabbduckfiles

You can do some 'out there' stuff like 'sharing' folders in the same version, but it is an invitation to disaster.

IF they are in separate domains (vhosts or IIS virtual servers) they will not conflict anyway, as they will be in separate webspaces.

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top