Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic How do I generate a sitemap for a YaBB forum? (Read 2,319 times)
Njones

How do I generate a sitemap for a YaBB forum?
Jul 10th, 2012 at 8:22pm
Post Tools
Hi Guys,
So - my YaBB forum is running brilliantly, it has all the features I want, couldn't be happier with performance ---- except that Google hardly seems to know it exists.

I'd like to try generating a sitemap and submitting it to google - I found some info here, but couldn't get it to work for me: http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194355809

Is there a mod that will do this automatically for me,.. creating a sitemap listing every topic in every category and at the click of a button - and preferably updating the sitemap daily/weekly without user intervention?

Have you any other tips for getting my forum ranked better in google (www.acsforums.com)?

IP Logged

The Boy

Re: How do I generate a sitemap for a YaBB forum?
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Post Tools
I have a shell script that generates one. Its no particularly optimised, and now I no longer use YaBB, I doubt I'll fix its little issues.

It is, however, *very* cpu and disk i/o intensive, which some shared providers might be unhappy with.

IP Logged

Njones

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Jul 10th, 2012 at 8:27pm:
I have a shell script that generates one. Its no particularly optimised, and now I no longer use YaBB, I doubt I'll fix its little issues.

It is, however, *very* cpu and disk i/o intensive, which some shared providers might be unhappy with.

What made you switch to SMF? I had considered switching software if I can't get my existing forum ranked better in searches - but it is such a huge hassle & I do like the support you get on this forum & the boardmod one. Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 8:48pm
Post Tools
Believe it or not, since a forum is dynamic all Google needs a sitemap for is to find the main Board page. It'll handle indexing the forum all by itself - provided the board isn't members-only.
And the same should hold true for the other major indexing services.

Getting Google to notice is different issue. That's an SEO issue, but signing onto Google Webmaster tools, registering your site with them, and checking for reasons Google might have trouble indexing (and fixing them if possible) will help. Another helpful thing is truly unique content.

My forums show up in Google even without unique content (but I do have lots of backlinks.)
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2012 at 9:04pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 10:50pm
Post Tools
Dandello's reply is spot on. Basically, Google ranks sites by relevancy; not necessarily by popularity. So all you need to do is to be who and what you are, and promote those truths.

One major mistake you've made is that you have no clearly seen link association with your forum, and with what you state is the site it represents. Also, you have your forum redirecting from your site, which in general terms is a black mark against you with search engines; all search engines.

By the way, your associated site's menu doesn't work in all browsers. In short, you have a fancy script that search engines will routinely ignore.

Happily, your search engine link relevancy problems can be easily corrected, and in a relatively quick fashion you should be able to rank well in Google.

Best Practices Solutions:

1. On the main page of the site that hosts your forum, stop with the redirection. Instead, place a simple text link to your forum on that page, and include below it an honest, and thorough explanation that describes your site's business. Text links will always rank best unless they deceive the public, in which case you'll be ranked very low in Google's search engine results.

2. On the site that your forum represents, on the index page include a simple text link to your forum (below a copy of the banner you display in your forum). A dirty little secret about link relevancy if that banners alone aren't particularly effective, at least not any more, and not without associated text links.

3. As much as you can, have all the sites that are associated with your organization link to your site, and to your forum, and reciprocate those links back to them.

4. Install Google's custom search engine for your site, and make it available for your visitors to use.

Bottom line: Be honest about what your site represents, and offer exactly what you tell visitors to your site they'll get when they visit.

So if you tell people you have a list of window cleaners, make sure that's exactly what you give them. It's all common sense stuff.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools