Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 'P----d' off (Read 3,092 times)
PAUL-N
YaBB Newcomer

'P----d' off
Jul 12th, 2012 at 6:11pm
Post Tools
I tried to reg for this BMW R65 site but there is no reg button it's  just not there so I reg here thinking I could logon that way.That was a waste of time sombody please fix this !!!
this is the  link to the site.

bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1311933847
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:30pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

The Boy

Re: pissed off
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 6:40pm
Post Tools
Sorry, that is a completely different website that just happens to run the same YaBB software.

We cannot help.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 7:06pm
Post Tools
If you took the time to browse the said forum
Forum Registration Procedure
11/07/11 at 01:46:58 
I have finally been forced to turn off user self-registration due to the enormous amount of requests being submitted by spammers, etc.  We welcome any and all valid users but you will need to e-mail a request to the Forum Administrator requesting membership.

E-mail requests with desired username, desired "screen name", and your location  to:

admin(at)bmwr65.org

As usual please substitute @ for (at) in the above e-mail address.  Username and screen name can be the same but the username can't have any spaces in it.

I will add you as a forum inmate and the system will e-mail you a temporary password and instructions on how to complete the registration.  After completing registration you can edit your profile and reset your password if you desire.

Sorry for the convoluted procedure but I am starting to pi$$ people off by accidentally deleting users from the registration log due to an "itchy trigger finger"!

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Not a problem. ;) - Re: pissed off
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Post Tools
Edited:
Ah, depablo beat me to it ... cross posting.  Wink

PAUL-N wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 6:11pm:
I tried to reg for this BMW R65 site but there is no reg button it's  just not there so I reg here thinking I could logon that way.That was a waste of time sombody please fix this !!!

Hi Paul. You came to the right place for help.  Wink

Because of spam-bot attacks, it's not uncommon for YaBB forums to disable their respective registration pages. Unfortunately, many admins neglect to provide contact information so that visitors can request a membership.

But here's the good news for you: The BMW R65 forum you want to join gives you information on how to register in their forum.

Just click over to this post in their forum, and you'll be good to go.  Wink

You might want to suggest to that forum's administrator to include a registration button in their menu that links to their registration help post.

Thankfully, YaBB's software makes this very easy to do.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2012 at 7:13pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:36pm
Post Tools
PAUL-N wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 6:11pm:

hi if you look here http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?virboard=test;num=1320652018

Quote:
I have finally been forced to turn off user self-registration due to the enormous amount of requests being submitted by spammers, etc.  We welcome any and all valid users but you will need to e-mail a request to the Forum Administrator requesting membership.

E-mail requests with desired username, desired "screen name", and your location  to:

admin(at)bmwr65.org

As usual please substitute @ for (at) in the above e-mail address.  Username and screen name can be the same but the username can't have any spaces in it.

I will add you as a forum inmate and the system will e-mail you a temporary password and instructions on how to complete the registration.  After completing registration you can edit your profile and reset your password if you desire.

Sorry for the convoluted procedure but I am starting to pi$$ people off by accidentally deleting users from the registration log due to an "itchy trigger finger"!

i have also sent them a email about your post here and Anti-Spam mods for yabb  Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:46pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

justin bowser
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:35am
Post Tools
I refuse to make our forum even remotely easy for a spammer to gain registration to as the first forum (r65.org) was spammed out of existence and I will NOT let this happen again.

Regards,

Justin B.
bmwr65.org Forum Admin

Justin B.
bmwr65.org Forum Admin

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:42am
Post Tools
justin bowser wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:35am:
I refuse to make our forum even remotely easy for a spammer to gain registration to as the first forum (r65.org) was spammed out of existence and I will NOT let this happen again.

Regards,

Justin B.
bmwr65.org Forum Admin

Good for you.  Smiley

That was my feeling about our forum, and that's how I still feel. But on that note, I refuse to allow spam-bots to hinder the registrations of legitimate users, which is why I installed anti-spam mods written specifically for YaBB.

Since then, spam-bots have been stopped cold!  Smiley

In any case, the way you allow registrations in your forum is quite clever. Good going!  Cool

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 4:49am
Post Tools
Who let him know about this thread? The OP was given the details and frankly by the tone of the first post they where lucky to get an answer, folk want to cut out the attitude.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
It's all good now. ;) - Re: pissed off
Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:55am
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 4:49am:
Who let him know about this thread? The OP was given the details and frankly by the tone of the first post they where lucky to get an answer, folk want to cut out the attitude.

Chances are, he found out that he could get support here from YaBB's help menu. He could have also clicked the credit link at the bottom of the forum. That's probably what I would have done; either way.

As for the tone of the first post, that can serve as a good a learning opportunity.  Wink

By that I mean it's good for admins and those people offering support to fully understand that it's not particularly uncommon for people seeking help to have an "attitude" about it.

Think of how you might feel when you're frustrated about something, and you've just called customer support. It can be hard to keep your wits about you when human nature is compelling you to vent in a tone that can be a bit harsh.

Ironically, a rather harsh tone from someone seeking help can result in a condescending tone in kind that can seem just as harsh. Go figure.

But that's human nature, and not many of us can be robotic angels.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Updating YaBB's registration instructions
Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 7:24am
Post Tools
Regarding YaBB registrations, I just realized once again that any changes we admins make to register in our respective forums should be mentioned in our respective help sections such as what you see here in this forum.

Thankfully, YaBB's Admin Center makes it very easy to do this. Forum Controls / Help/FAQ Files.

Ironically, as I was thinking of adding this post, I checked our own forum's help page for the "Register an Account" section to find that a recent change I made wasn't included in those instructions.

Those instructions are now up to date! Roll Eyes

Edited:
Uh, oh. A typo here in this forum! I hate typos! So "enter you email" should of course be enter your email here in this section.

Don't even ask if there was this same typo in my own forum. There was!  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2012 at 7:34am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 7:44am
Post Tools
justin bowser wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:35am:

WOW!

Thats what anti-spam mods are for. You should give them a try.

Spamtards don't stand a chance! Well, almost Grin

Nothing is perfect but they do work.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:07pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 4:49am:

it was me that emailed the admin of the bmwr65.org forum to let him know about this post and to
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:36pm:
hi if you look here http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?virboard=test;num=1320652018

i have also sent them a email about your post here and Anti-Spam mods for yabb  Wink

but the OP is lucky but we are here to help.

and i am a firm believer in karma  Grin

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: 'P----d' off
Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:32pm
Post Tools
Lets all hope 'Paul' can be civil 'over there', LOL.  Hehehe, we may disagree here at times, but civility and flaming are almost a non-issue.  Maybe Paul will learn manners from his new friends.

Thanks everyone (particularly xnoddyx) for helping him and their Admin, Justin out.

Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:37pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:53pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:32pm:
Lets all hope 'Paul' can be civil 'over there', LOL.  Hehehe, we may disagree here at times, but civility and flaming are almost a non-issue.  Maybe Paul will learn manners from his new friends.

Thanks everyone (particularly xnoddyx) for helping him and their Admin, Justin out.

Wink

Well, being that Paul's a biker ... just joking of course. I'm a biker, too.  Wink

As such, and immediately after I first posted here, I realized that Justin should be aware of what happened, so I actually emailed him as well. I even linked this topic for him. He's definitely on top of things, that's for sure.

I have to say, civility is generally much better here in this forum than it's been in the past when some people we're "scared" to come here for help. Some people needing help would get chewed out for not knowing what to do, or for not being "smart enough" to operate a forum, or for not asking a question properly, or for asking a question that had already been answered. The way that it was sometimes handled; nasty stuff. I guess it was a geek squad of another sort for a while.

Thank goodness that nasty stuff is more or less behind us. Now if we can just get this forum back into good working order so that YaBB can be showcased in an appropriate way, things will be even better.

Meanwhile, I just noticed another active YaBBer switched over to another forum. BummerCry

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:36pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:53pm:
Meanwhile, I just noticed another active YaBBer switched over to another forum. Bummer.  Cry
In all fairness I switch all the time  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top