Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) It Is Sad (Read 5,916 times)
batchman
Support Team

Re: It Is Sad
Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:06am
Post Tools
That was one of the ones that I was referring to. The other ones that I most missed were Ironwing's chat mod (which had a different feel that I still really liked to either Carsten's current chat mod or the IRC chat mod), and two of Carsten's, the more in-depth board statistics mod, and his personal guestbook mod.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 4:42am
Post Tools
batchman wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 2:14am:
I would have liked staying with my 1.4 forum, because there are still some mods from that forum that I really, really miss.

Since I didn't first play around with YaBB until 2008 when v2.2.1 was out and didn't brave a mod until I installed 2.5AE when it came out, I missed the era of those older mods. But on a search through the older mods, I see what you mean. One that caught my eye was Travel Map. (different than YaMMS)

That would be a cool addition to a new board that I'm currently working on.

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 2:14am
Post Tools
I would have liked staying with my 1.4 forum, because there are still some mods from that forum that I really, really miss.

But these days I wouldn't want to give up some of the newer mods, and all the newer security, to go back to 1.4, either.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Not in the big picture - Re: It Is Sad
Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:50pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Guess it's perfectly ok to change the subject for your own reply - WHY I hear you cry? Because you can - YaBB actually allow you to do just that for a reason Wink

Ain't that great? Kudos to YaBB!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Carsten
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:46pm
Post Tools
Guess it's perfectly ok to change the subject for your own reply - WHY I hear you cry? Because you can - YaBB actually allow you to do just that for a reason Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:47pm by »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:40pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:36pm:
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:02pm:
YaBB is great!  Cool

Edited:
Edited to change the subject.  Wink

Think you should have started a new thread rather than change the subject of someone else's  Roll Eyes

I guess you're right. Sorry about that.

If anyone is wondering, but only in my subject line of course, I changed "It is sad" to "YaBB is wonderful" - thinking it looked better, and was actually more accurate.

This time, however, I kept the subject intact. I hope it's okay that I changed my message icon.  Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:36pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:02pm:
YaBB is great!  Cool

Edited:

Think you should have started a new thread rather than change the subject of someone else's  Roll Eyes

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB is wonderful!
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:31pm
Post Tools
Monsen wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 11:09am:
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:48pm:
Question, though; you aren't really still using YaBB 1 Gold are you?

Yepp, I am. My board is too heavily modded to upgrade. It currently have more than twice the amount of code of a clean installation (and that's after removing a bunch of code I didn't need). I have written a lot of code to properly integrate it with the environment it is running in, like integrating it with my user database (NDS [LDAP-like system]), my email system and added some database support, among lots of more, so I don't fancy having to rewrite that stuff.

Ah, I understand.  Wink

When I eventually upgraded from Gold 1 to our current 2.4 version (about 2 1/2 years ago I think), I did a clean install of the newer version, and simply ported over our members and messages.

But then, I had no mods installed in the older version.

Still, maybe you can experiment with a new upgrade by not upgrading, i.e., work with a new install that isn't publicly published, and continue with your Gold 1 version while you tweak the newer version.

When I did this, of course I had to later on make a fresh transfer of the membership folder, and the messages again, but it worked out quite well. In fact, because I had two forums going on at the same time, when I was finally ready to make the upgrade public, our maintenance mode only lasted a few short minutes.

I didn't even have to change the url to our forum.  Wink

In any case, to be perfectly candid here, I am one of those YaBB users who is the least capable in giving advice about how to install a forum. Seriously. I suck at it.

Ironically, however, the mistakes I make seem to help a lot of people, I guess because they learn what not to do.  Smiley

So take what I've mentioned here with a grain of salt, and use what you can.

By the way, I suppose in your case as long as your forum is operating as you like it, why bother upgrading it, right? I fully empathize with that thinking.

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:35pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB is wonderful!
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:02pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:05pm:
Personally when Monsen and some of the other legends logon I think it gives you a bit of a moral boost.

As for YaBB 1 Gold, if it still had support I would use it  Smiley

That's my thinking as well on both counts. Even for regular people who've been around for a long time, and who continue to use YaBB, the moral boost it gives me is wonderfully warm.

As for the old YaBB 1 Gold version, until a couple of years ago, I never felt compelled to upgrade it because I liked it so much. I only moved up to version 2.4 because of problems with spammers who were stopped cold with the availability of mods that work great with the newer version.

While I'm looking forward to the next version of YaBB, I'm personally in no hurry to upgrade since I really love how YaBB 2.4 operates, and performs.

YaBB is great!  Cool

Edited:
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:33pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
Personally when Monsen and some of the other legends logon I think it gives you a bit of a moral boost.

As for YaBB 1 Gold, if it still had support I would use it  Smiley

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:19pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:44pm:
( 2.6  however...  )

Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:44pm
Post Tools
If it still works don't fix it.

But just to let you know - 2.5 is pretty much 2.4 with some added tweaks and bugs. ( 2.6  however... Roll Eyes )

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Monsen
YaBB Legends (Active)

YaBB 2.2
Re: It's good to see you online!
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 11:09am
Post Tools
Quote:
Would be a huge help if you were to become involved again.

Problem is available time. It's not something I have in abundance. Not to mention that my knowledge is getting outdated. I used to know the YaBB codebase by heart, but I am not familiar with the new 2.5 code at all.

Bill Myers wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:48pm:
Question, though; you aren't really still using YaBB 1 Gold are you?

Yepp, I am. My board is too heavily modded to upgrade. It currently have more than twice the amount of code of a clean installation (and that's after removing a bunch of code I didn't need). I have written a lot of code to properly integrate it with the environment it is running in, like integrating it with my user database (NDS [LDAP-like system]), my email system and added some database support, among lots of more, so I don't fancy having to rewrite that stuff.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
It's good to see you online!
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:48pm
Post Tools
Monsen wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:56am:
I guess these days, not many people still remember me though.

I remember you because you've always been a great help to people needing it here in this forum; including help you've given me.

It's great to see you online!  Smiley
Question, though; you aren't really still using YaBB 1 Gold are you?  Smiley

I actually stayed with YaBB 1 Gold up to only a couple of years ago when I finally upgraded to version 2.4 - and still using this same version.

Edited:
Edited to shorten the quotation I wanted to use.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:49pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:06pm
Post Tools
Monsen wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:56am:
Quote:
Categorizing into status and then looking at when last online. Remembering the names and the banter on and offline and feeling sad that they are no longer active.

I sometimes do the same. I know I haven't been active here for quite a while now myself, but I fondly remember many of the names of people who used to be active at the same time as me. I guess these days, not many people still remember me though.

Welcome back Monsen.

I remember you well. A true legend. Do you know you still hold the record for the most posts.  Grin

Would be a huge help if you were to become involved again.

Cheers

Derek

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top