Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) register/login with Facebook on a YaBB forum? (Read 6,882 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: register/login with Facebook on a YaBB forum?
Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:37pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:36pm:
if you want you can look at my forum settings.

Thanks - I'll be rummaging around my forum code later today and see what I can find.

Now, back to our main subject.
As much as I'm not into FB, I'll take a look at the API later today or tomorrow and see how it's done. (I've had trouble with FB's API's before - last year the Like API seemed stop working at random and required getting new code from FB to get it working again - even though I hadn't changed anything on either the site or in my FB admin center.)

Another thing to look at is whether or not comments made in a forum's FB section can be directly ported over to the forum - maybe into its own thread or into an RSS feed that can read from the forum? FB can import our RSS feeds without any trouble. Maybe there's a way to do the same in reverse.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:36pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:41am:
Yes, we've chatted about this.

I have one user with this issue with their smartphone - their carrier has a lot of SFS listed IP addresses (some of which ended up in my banned list - this is how we know that banned trumps spoof.  Huh ) This same carrier seems to have a habit of randomly changing IP addresses between page loads.

At last report, this user has finally gotten a proper internet connection for their home computer so they aren't using their smartphone as their router.

I suspect there's some security setting I haven't bothered to disable that would solve this.

there was this bug for 2.4 as well for ALERT!! Form Spoofing Detected coming from IP address: xxxxxxxx i just remembered it might have something to do with it
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1241544758/0

Edited:
think it had to do with favourites and shortcuts page caching

Quote:
I suspect there's some security setting I haven't bothered to disable that would solve this.

if you want you can look at my forum settings.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:42pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:41am
Post Tools
Yes, we've chatted about this.

I have one user with this issue with their smartphone - their carrier has a lot of SFS listed IP addresses (some of which ended up in my banned list - this is how we know that banned trumps spoof.  Huh ) This same carrier seems to have a habit of randomly changing IP addresses between page loads.

At last report, this user has finally gotten a proper internet connection for their home computer so they aren't using their smartphone as their router.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:21am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:49am:
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:32am:
if Quote:
The problem is: every major OpenID 'registrar' has their own API to make it 'easy'. And each one of those APIs has to added separately.

dont that defeat the purpose of OpenID  to make it easy to login ?

It's supposedly easier for the person trying to register or log-in but certainly not easier for the programmer or admin trying to implement it without going to a commercial OpenID solution. (Yes, we are talking about a system so confusing that there's a non-Open Source commercial 3rd party solution for a process that was originally touted as easy to implement.

And like Derek, my site as a FB page as well. But generally the people who post there are the ones having spoofing problems because they're using their cellphone.

if OpenID is that much of a pain in the arse (excuse my french) do we need the headache of OpenID as the facebook option seems a lot more easier to implement for admin and user ??

as for "having spoofing problems because they're using their cellphone." did we have a chat on this ?
i have a windows 7 phone and as far is i remember i have never had a spoofing problem from it if you pm me the url of the forum thats having spoofing problems from cellphones i will test it on my one for you and prob cam it for you as well.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:49am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:32am:
if Quote:
The problem is: every major OpenID 'registrar' has their own API to make it 'easy'. And each one of those APIs has to added separately.

dont that defeat the purpose of OpenID  to make it easy to login ?

It's supposedly easier for the person trying to register or log-in but certainly not easier for the programmer or admin trying to implement it without going to a commercial OpenID solution. (Yes, we are talking about a system so confusing that there's a non-Open Source commercial 3rd party solution for a process that was originally touted as easy to implement.

And like Derek, my site as a FB page as well. But generally the people who post there are the ones having spoofing problems because they're using their cellphone.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:32am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:39pm:
Looking at the FB registration API is now on my ever-lengthening list of things to do. (As the wag has said - If I can't leave until my job on Earth is done, I'm so far behind I will never die.)

its not all that bad is it?  Sad

Dandello wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:39pm:
But to add this about OpenID - Perl actually has a basic OpenID module. The problem is: every major OpenID 'registrar' has their own API to make it 'easy'. And each one of those APIs has to added separately. (My own Yahoo 'easy' OpenID ID is at least 20 digits long - like I'm actually going to use that anywhere? I don't even remember where I put the file that has the address in it. So I either use my regular login/password or the Yahoo API which doesn't need the 20+long string to get in. It reads the info from a cookie on my computer - which is a whole different portability issue.)

if Quote:

dont that defeat the purpose of OpenID  to make it easy to login ?

maybe when it's time we should have a full on discussion about implementing change of all the pros and cons OpenID or facebook if it is needed ??.

Edited:
Quote:
I have found out over the years that there are definately two different groups of people, those who use Facebook and those who use other media like forums.

To compensate I started a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camp-Oven-Cooking-In-Australia/86539734439 - for my Camp Oven Cooking Forum and while there are members of both the majority are on Facebook even though I regularly post up the link to the forum on the Facebook page. I find younger people are more inclined to use Facebook

While I am not against it, I am not sure having registration through Facebook will increase my forum membership.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek
i dont just find younger people are more inclined to use Facebook but also the older people 65+ do as well there are members of my family and friends family and so on when they are not on facebook its a website that they login from facebook.

to your facebook page my main forum has one as well http://www.facebook.com/almondhaf and i have the app RSS Graffiti post the forum content to the page wall and even though it don't generate any new members it does generate more traffic from facebook to my forum and as my forum is more to inform than anything else i think it makes quite a good job of that.
now off to have a we look at your page  Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:52am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:30am
Post Tools
I have found out over the years that there are definately two different groups of people, those who use Facebook and those who use other media like forums.

To compensate I started a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camp-Oven-Cooking-In-Australia/86539734439 - for my Camp Oven Cooking Forum and while there are members of both the majority are on Facebook even though I regularly post up the link to the forum on the Facebook page. I find younger people are more inclined to use Facebook

While I am not against it, I am not sure having registration through Facebook will increase my forum membership.

Cheers

Derek

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Supporting YaBB, etc.
Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:25am
Post Tools
Njones wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:37pm:
... perhaps it is time to re-consider paying the people who make it happen ... I'd be happy to pay ...

Very cool! And here you go, click this link to contribute real dollars to YaBB.

Regarding the marriage of Facebook and YaBB in terms of registration and log-in info being synced up, maybe someone could advocate on YaBB's behalf for Facebook to make it possible to have a register/login with a Facebook button that will allow 1-click registration for new members on any given YaBB forum.

In other words, get one of Facebook's developers to develop such an option for YaBB.  Cheesy

On that note, it appears on this page that Facebook welcomes an open ID system. Maybe YaBB can take advantage of it.

Meanwhile, I suppose for now an admin can add a "Register Using Your Facebook Info" menu choice to their forum's menu. Clicking that link can lead them to an entry in your forum suggesting that they use their Facebook info to register for a YaBB membership.

Then politely explain to them how easy it is to register.  Wink

Tongue in cheek in terms of the year Facebook was founded, YaBB was here first! Wink

For those of you with a pool, try YaBBing poolside, or even in the pool as I like to sometimes do it.  Cool

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:39pm
Post Tools
Looking at the FB registration API is now on my ever-lengthening list of things to do. (As the wag has said - If I can't leave until my job on Earth is done, I'm so far behind I will never die.)

But to add this about OpenID - Perl actually has a basic OpenID module. The problem is: every major OpenID 'registrar' has their own API to make it 'easy'. And each one of those APIs has to added separately. (My own Yahoo 'easy' OpenID ID is at least 20 digits long - like I'm actually going to use that anywhere? I don't even remember where I put the file that has the address in it. So I either use my regular login/password or the Yahoo API which doesn't need the 20+long string to get in. It reads the info from a cookie on my computer - which is a whole different portability issue.)

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #15 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:21pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:54pm:
What I was saying, xnoddyx, is that its quite a bit of programming (I sent Dandello the spec).  

You are right, its NOT OpenID, its Facebook's GraphAPI, but from an authentication point of view they are the same kind of 'beast' - an authentication proxy (a 3rd party is vouch-safeing a user).

There's many things to consider, including the fact you are giving FB the keys to your little domain.  While there may not be as many 'fake' FB users as there are 'fake' gmail accounts, there are still security issues.  Including getting FB 'swamped' (overwhelmed by registrations).  

Anway, at this moment, that is the very least of our concerns here. We have to get going again.
Wink  

as for "quite a bit of programming" i was compering a forums plugin for OpenID and to its facebook plugin and the OpenID seem to have more code in it than the facebook plugin did and at first i thort it was just because of difrent coders but it was same coder that writin both of them.

i dont think you will be giving FB the keys to your little domain as it will only have this when its part of a requested operation.

Quote:
Anway, at this moment, that is the very least of our concerns here. We have to get going again.

yes a more stable codebase as one of thows 2.5 errors in my server log is a bit bugging lol Dandello know what im talking about looking at them makes you go a bit Cheesy lol
its cool was on Dandello forum and fix was there  Roll Eyes what hapens when you dont check for abit lol
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:47pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:54pm
Post Tools
What I was saying, xnoddyx, is that its quite a bit of programming (I sent Dandello the spec).  

You are right, its NOT OpenID, its Facebook's GraphAPI, but from an authentication point of view they are the same kind of 'beast' - an authentication proxy (a 3rd party is vouch-safeing a user).

There's many things to consider, including the fact you are giving FB users the keys to your little domain.  While there may not be as many 'fake' FB users as there are 'fake' gmail accounts, there are still security issues.  Including getting FB 'swamped' (overwhelmed by registrations).  

I think it would be good for 'commercial', informational or public interest Forums, and less of interest to speical interest, clubs or hobbyists.

Anyway, at this moment, that is the very least of our concerns here. We have to get going again.
Wink  

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:58pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:34pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:51pm:
Njones - I would say 'stay tuned' as things are in the works (literally)

As for FB logins - that would require an adaptation to something "like" OpenID.  It would also require a lot of work in the way YaBB operates. YaBB has 'classes' of members, so there would have to be a substitution/equivalence of some field to an underlying Facebook account.

It is certainly an 'interesting' idea.

Cool

my understanding of the facebook sing up, login api is at minimum it lets you pull in the members  name email but you can also pull in the users set ID d.o.b gender and the users set ID/Username for me it is xnoddyx1 or in the url its http://www.facebook.com/xnoddyx1

so say yabb had facebook login it will work like this user visits the forum  and clicks sing up with facebook login the forum then reqests "members name set ID/Username email" then the forum redirects to the facebook confirmation screen user click acceptance facebook then sends the forum the info yabb now sends the user the forum cookies and thats it and any time they come back and clicks login the forum pops up a login box with the norm login info and one for facebook
find some more info here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10309027/sign-in-sign-up-with-facebook-test-u... hope this helps any one looking into this

Dandello wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:15pm:
Assuming Facebook supports OpenID, then that feature for login is imminently doable.

no as far as i know facebook dont support OpenID

But keep in mind there are lots of people who refuse to have Facebook accounts and will not/cannot contribute to site where a Facebook account is a requirement.

no not a requirement to have a Facebook account just add an extra way to sign up.

And as for spammers on Facebook - not all spam comes from bots. I know for a fact that one of the trolls banned from one of my sites has at least 5 Facebook accounts she uses just to get into places she's been banned from by traditional methods. (I say at least because although I have identified 5 sockpuppets, I'm sure she has more.)

im shore at the point of  sign up you can check the users facebook email address the one for loging in that is retrieved when facebook then sends the forum the info and check it against banned emails just the same as yabb works just now and with some of the anti spam mods i dont think this will be any more of a prob for yabb than what it is the now.

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:21pm:
It's summer break for a lot of people around here. Plus there's all the other summer stuff going on. (Like the garden, the new puppy next door, the new patio and don't get me started talking about repairing the house and pool... Wink )

Now off to work on the patio...

or kids off school  Sad and 5 weeks till they go back lol thinking on that its time to take the kids on a day trip soon oh thats going to be fun  Shocked lol  you have a pool lucky you  Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:43pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:21pm
Post Tools
It's summer break for a lot of people around here. Plus there's all the other summer stuff going on. (Like the garden, the new puppy next door, the new patio and don't get me started talking about repairing the house and pool... Wink )

Now off to work on the patio...

IP Logged

Njones

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Njones wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:08pm:
On another note - is YaBB 3 still being developed? The section of the forum dedicated to it seems dead??

you can find the main YaBB 3 dev site here http://www.dev.yabbworld.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

The last post on that entire forum was 2 1/2 weeks ago - it was a question - it wasn't answered!!

I know a lot of hard unpaid work goes into YaBB - but if the project is in danger of stalling perhaps it is time to re-consider paying the people who make it happen. A small licensing fee would meet very little resistance considering the features & performance YaBB offers,.. I'd be happy to pay anyway!

IP Logged

Njones

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:31pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Njones wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:08pm:
On another note - is YaBB 3 still being developed? The section of the forum dedicated to it seems dead??

you can find the main YaBB 3 dev site here http://www.dev.yabbworld.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

Thanks for the link,.. I hadn't seen that before!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top