Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) register/login with Facebook on a YaBB forum? (Read 7,464 times)
Njones

Re: register/login with Facebook on a YaBB forum?
Reply #39 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 7:28pm
Post Tools
Ok,.. will amuse myself with a YaBB 3.0 install in the meantime,... Looks very nice so far!

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #38 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:51pm
Post Tools
Not for a bit yet - under a deadline to finish some programming for the WSU_V Anthro dept. (AKA my kid's school & dept.) Of course, there's only going to be 5 people on the planet who'll use it or have a clue as to what it's about.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Njones

Reply #37 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:43pm
Post Tools
Any FB login mod for me to test yet???  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #36 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 12:20am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 11:57pm:
if the photo was showing that you was going to change it to i dont see why you was getting a DNS error but good to see you got around it

Me either. Who knows how these browsers think sometimes? Not me. lol

The photo was showing but for some reason it didn't want to cooperate. I did get around it so, I guess all is OK.  Smiley

xnoddyx wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:22pm:
i have to say i love your facebook pro pic

The gator? He was hanging around at the camp while we were cleaning fish, looking for a hand out so, I gave him one. Funny, in my younger days, I would have pulled a Troy Landry on him and he would have been table fare that night Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2012 at 3:06am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #35 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 11:57pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 11:32pm:
It was the profile picture. I had tried Ctrl+F5 but that didn't work. I was able to change it by going to Edit Photo > Upload Photo...

if the photo was showing that you was going to change it to i dont see why you was getting a DNS error but good to see you got around it  Grin

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #34 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 11:32pm
Post Tools
It was the profile picture. I had tried Ctrl+F5 but that didn't work. I was able to change it by going to Edit Photo > Upload Photo...

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #33 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:57pm:
whats the error you are getting.

"DNS Error - Server cannot be found" when clicking confirm. This is in both IE and FF.

It works when uploading a new image from the computer but gives an error when trying to select a photo from one of my facebook albums. Might just be a problem on my end. I'll have to look further into it later.

and just to check im on the same page you mean the Cover photo and not the profile picture.
if your in IE when you load the page let it all load then hold (left Ctrl) + F5
info

IE6 + and Firefox 2.x. F5 will try to utilize cached content as much as possible, while "Ctrl+F5" is intended to abandon all cached content and just retrieve all content from the servers again.
hope this helps  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:33pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #32 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
whats the error you are getting.

"DNS Error - Server cannot be found" when clicking confirm. This is in both IE and FF.

It works when uploading a new image from the computer but gives an error when trying to select a photo from one of my facebook albums. Might just be a problem on my end. I'll have to look further into it later.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #31 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:22pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:52pm:
Dandello wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:31pm:
And to give an update - I HATE FACEBOOK!

I find myself saying the same thing alot. As a matter of fact, I was saying it this morning when trying to change a photo for my sites page and kept getting an error. Argggg!! Smiley

Still haven't got it changed!

whats the error you are getting. Cover photos are 851px x 315px and i have to say i love your facebook pro pic

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #30 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:15pm
Post Tools
And to give an update - I HATE FACEBOOK! More specifically, the Dev section.

Now that that's been vented - I took a look at the login API (Which should be related to the registration API - only different).

I've dealt with Google API's without any problem but I swear FB goes out of its way to obfuscate the instructions for anything more complicated than the 'Like' button.

BUT that said, since I know other people have gotten it to work on other software, it should be doable. But expect a lot of teeth gnashing and swearing at FB.

the Dev section is a bit more than a pain in the  Lips Sealed lol but as always if you need help finding something or that im here  Smiley

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #29 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:52pm
Post Tools
And to give an update - I HATE FACEBOOK!

I find myself saying the same thing alot. As a matter of fact, I was saying it this morning when trying to change a photo for my sites page and kept getting an error. Argggg!! Smiley

Still haven't got it changed!

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #28 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:31pm
Post Tools
And to give an update - I HATE FACEBOOK! More specifically, the Dev section.

Now that that's been vented - I took a look at the login API (Which should be related to the registration API - only different).

I've dealt with Google API's without any problem but I swear FB goes out of its way to obfuscate the instructions for anything more complicated than the 'Like' button.

BUT that said, since I know other people have gotten it to work on other software, it should be doable. But expect a lot of teeth gnashing and swearing at FB.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:32pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #27 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 11:46am
Post Tools
Njones wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:38am:
Its awesome to see  you guys working on this already, thank you!!

Next on the list of must have's- a YaBB iPhone app & Android app......  Grin Grin Grin

Hi Njones

this isn't really working on it, it is more on seeing the Viability of it and how much work there will with it but i'm sure we will have an answer soon  Smiley

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Njones

Reply #26 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:38am
Post Tools
Its awesome to see  you guys working on this already, thank you!!

Next on the list of must have's- a YaBB iPhone app & Android app......  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #25 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:01pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:37pm:
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:36pm:
if you want you can look at my forum settings.

Thanks - I'll be rummaging around my forum code later today and see what I can find.

Now, back to our main subject.
As much as I'm not into FB, I'll take a look at the API later today or tomorrow and see how it's done. (I've had trouble with FB's API's before - last year the Like API seemed stop working at random and required getting new code from FB to get it working again - even though I hadn't changed anything on either the site or in my FB admin center.)

ok cool if i can do anything to help let me know
Another thing to look at is whether or not comments made in a forum's FB section can be directly ported over to the forum - maybe into its own thread or into an RSS feed that can read from the forum? FB can import our RSS feeds without any trouble. Maybe there's a way to do the same in reverse.
Quote:
Like API seemed stop working at random and required getting new code from FB to get it working again

i had this but dident need new code it was just a botched facebook system update that was sorted
the code i have for a static like is " PAGE END URL " this is where the end of the page url is put
Code
Select All
<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.facebook.com/pages/" PAGE END URL "&amp;layout=button_count&amp;show_faces=false&amp;width=70&amp;action=like&amp;font=arial&amp;colorscheme=light&amp;height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:80px; height:21px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe> 

and the code for my dynamic likes must say getting to this was some work but have not had any probs with this code  Grin
Code
Select All
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
document.write("<iframe src=\"http:\/\/www.facebook.com\/plugins\/like.php?href="+document.URL+"&layout=button_count&show_faces=false&width=80&action=like&font=verdana&colorscheme=light\" scrolling=\"no\" frameborder=\"0\" style=\"border:none; overflow:hidden; width:80px; height:21px\" allowTransparency=\"true\"><\/iframe>");
</SCRIPT> 

and as for
Quote:
Another thing to look at is whether or not comments made in a forum's FB section can be directly ported over to the forum - maybe into its own thread or into an RSS feed that can read from the forum? FB can import our RSS feeds without any trouble. Maybe there's a way to do the same in reverse.

if you look here http://almondhaf.co.uk/ you will see i have my facebook page wall rss feed here and the url for it is http://www.facebook.com/feeds/page.php?id=142804465776669&format=rss20
to get the ID goto to the page albums and click on any album then check the url will look like
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.322164641173983.75746.142804465776669&type=3

Edited:
in theory pulling info from a facebook rss feed is just the same as when like me you get RSS Graffiti to pull the rss feed from the forum all that is needed is to pull the items head info/Item Title make this the Subject: and then make the item feed body the Message: and take the media tags and replaces it with BBC to show the  media in the post and have the forum set to check the feed at certain times when YaBB.pl is run so even when a guest or search engine visits it automates it's
but i dono how much coding this will be  Undecided

hope this helps  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:22pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top