Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) register/login with Facebook on a YaBB forum? (Read 7,315 times)
Njones

Re: register/login with Facebook on a YaBB forum?
Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:15pm:
But keep in mind there are lots of people who refuse to have Facebook accounts and will not/cannot contribute to site where a Facebook account is a requirement.

I'd definitely not want a FB link to be the only method of registration/login - it should be an option, but the legacy methods should still remain in place.  Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:15pm
Post Tools
Assuming Facebook supports OpenID, then that feature for login is imminently doable. Doing the same for registration is iffier. But I'm sure Facebook has an CMS interface app for it, should someone be interested in creating a mod.

But keep in mind there are lots of people who refuse to have Facebook accounts and will not/cannot contribute to site where a Facebook account is a requirement.

And as for spammers on Facebook - not all spam comes from bots. I know for a fact that one of the trolls banned from one of my sites has at least 5 Facebook accounts she uses just to get into places she's been banned from by traditional methods. (I say at least because although I have identified 5 sockpuppets, I'm sure she has more.)
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:16pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:51pm
Post Tools
Njones - I would say 'stay tuned' as things are in the works (literally)

As for FB logins - that would require an adaptation to something "like" OpenID.  It would also require a lot of work in the way YaBB operates. YaBB has 'classes' of members, so there would have to be a substitution/equivalence of some field to an underlying Facebook account.

It is certainly an 'interesting' idea.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:24pm
Post Tools
Njones wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:08pm:
On another note - is YaBB 3 still being developed? The section of the forum dedicated to it seems dead??

you can find the main YaBB 3 dev site here http://www.dev.yabbworld.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Njones

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 6:08pm
Post Tools
I feel its an essential feature,.. FB has its own anti-spam features (disallowing multiple automated registrations etc), so I doubt it will ever become a major source of spam.

I'm active on many forums, with a post count collectively exceeding 30,000 at the moment... but I clicked a link to a new forum today, a simple "post your name to be in with a chance to win this prize" - genuine prize from a company I deal with - worth $1000 - useful to my business ----- I didn't post on the thread because I couldn't be arsed to sign up!!

FB connectivity should be top priority!!

On another note - is YaBB 3 still being developed? The section of the forum dedicated to it seems dead??

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:44pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:16pm:
1) if people are too lazy to register, then they're too lazy to post.
2) spammers have Facebook accounts, too - lots of them.
3) using Facebook as your registration mode would defeat whatever anti-spam mods you have (refer to 2).

sorry Dandello but this is the time of facebook and what i mean is that most websites with forums  that i was on most have moved to facebook and most of the People I Know with facebook if they cant login to a website with there facebook ID don't bother even sign up to it and will just go find one that will.

the truth is that most websoft like wordpress to some forums i wont name now have plugin to sing up, login from facebook as it lets you cross link and share what you do.

i feel that YaBB is just being left behind again like it has been so many times in the past  Sad
but this is just my thorts on this.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB's Facebook Cover Photo
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:28pm
Post Tools

I love YaBB's Facebook cover photo; very cool!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:21pm
Post Tools
Njones wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 4:01pm:
Is it possible to have a register/login with facebook button that will allow 1 click registration for new members on my YaBB forum?

PPL are lazy,.. filling in their details can often mean lost registrations, so I want to make it as easy as possible!

Hi Njones as far as i know yabb has no plans to support this i did suggest that yabb do this but went with trying to implement openID.
but if you ask here http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=scripting or http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=hacks or even http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=request
someone might be willing to make a mod for this as i do know that this has been requested quite a lot of times just know one has made the mod for this as of yet and you never know it might happen this time  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Post Tools
Currently - no.
In YaBB 3 they have been working on getting OpenID working - but so far that's just for login, not registration.

Besides,
1) if people are too lazy to register, then they're too lazy to post.
2) spammers have Facebook accounts, too - lots of them.
3) using Facebook as your registration mode would defeat whatever anti-spam mods you have (refer to 2).

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Njones

register/login with Facebook on a YaBB forum?
Jul 16th, 2012 at 4:01pm
Post Tools
Is it possible to have a register/login with facebook button that will allow 1 click registration for new members on my YaBB forum?

PPL are lazy,.. filling in their details can often mean lost registrations, so I want to make it as easy as possible!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top