Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CAPTCHA YaBB Development Forum (Read 5,222 times)
Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
CAPTCHA YaBB Development Forum
Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:57pm
Post Tools
I find the following CAPTCHAs relatively easy to decipher and provide the accurate verification codes, but the CAPTCHA from YaBB Development Forum seems to be designed to prevent ANYBODY from registering.  I failed 64 times and  gave up… Cry shame, I really wanted to contribute there… Angry still… Undecided

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:47pm by Elrick. »  

There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter. ~ Elrick

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: CAPTCHA YaBB Development Forum
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:01pm
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:57pm:
oh i like the idear of a moving CAPTCHA Cheesy

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:21pm
Post Tools
Elrick: I hope that first one belongs to a math or physics forum - my last trig/calc class was 40 years ago.  Shocked

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
That's great!

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:36pm
Post Tools
Quote:
oh i like the idear of a moving CAPTCHA

Me too!! that's a piece of cake compared to Y3DF's!!! Shocked

There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter. ~ Elrick

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:52pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Elrick: I hope that first one belongs to a math or physics forum - my last trig/calc class was 40 years ago.  Shocked

Yes Dandello, that’s a quantum mechanics theoretical physicists forum, but even if you haven’t touched the subject for the last 40 years you would be able to ascertain the verification code’s answer, but Y3DF’s is beyond mathematical models and abstractions of physics to rationalize!!!

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:54pm by Elrick. »  

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:46pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:34pm:
That's great!

Why not considering one of those for this forum Jon? That would sort out that Carpynteiroxxxxx......

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Cool. - Re: CAPTCHA YaBB Development Forum
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Post Tools
The irony about CAPTCHA verification codes, which is now common knowledge, is that they are easily defeated with spam-bot automation software. As such, there's really no point to using them, especially since regular users will more often than not have a difficult time registering.

Spam-bots win. Regular users lose.  Smiley

However, I applaud YaBB for giving it a try. Besides, admins should have that option to implement despite what my personal feelings are about it.

Ya' think?!  Roll Eyes

Bottom line: I hope YaBB will provide as many anti-spam bot options they can for admins to use. Additionally, it would be great for YaBB's core software to be designed in such a way that future YaBB-approved, and proven modifications can be easily added with some kind of "Update Software" solution (think BoardMod and YaBB operating as one, but more comprehensively in a more user-friendly way).

While you're at it, maybe YaBB's developers can add an option that will make coffee for us while we're YaBBing.

Hey! Don't ask this dummy how to do it. I expect everything from you developers.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
Elrick. wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:46pm:
Why not considering one of those for this forum Jon? That would sort out that Carpynteiroxxxxx......

I've been told that Jon doesn't have full access to do this, which made me feel pretty badly for having gotten on his case about it. I still feel ashamed for having given him a hard time. I just hadn't known that his hands were tied.

Meanwhile, all he can really do is swat away the spam when it gets posted, which he does a pretty good job of doing.

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:19pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 9:58pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:12pm:

Edited:
Elrick. wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:46pm:

I've been told that Jon doesn't have full access to do this, which made me feel pretty badly for having gotten on his case about it. I still feel ashamed for having given him a hard time. I just hadn't known that his hands were tied.

Meanwhile, all he can really do is swat away the spam when it gets posted, which he does a pretty good job of doing.

Thanks Bill, but don’t feel bad about it, Jon takes on board all inputs, but under those velvet gloves he wears there are sharp clenched claws at the ready to deal with Spammice!!! Shocked Grin

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 10:48pm
Post Tools
Having successfully registered over at the YaBB Dev Forum, I've decided to open a service.  For a flat rate of one pint of Guinness, I'll register for you...  Wink

Grin

OK - I'll admit it is a bit blinding  Cheesy

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:01pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 10:48pm:
Having successfully registered over at the YaBB Dev Forum, I've decided to open a service.  For a flat rate of one pint of Guinness, I'll register for you...  Wink

Grin

OK - I'll admit it is a bit blinding  Cheesy

Ahhhh... that business entrepeneur spirit!!! Roll Eyes
Xnoddyx beat you to it... Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:03pm by Elrick. »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB's improving development; yeah!
Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:03pm
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 9:58pm:
Thanks Bill, but don’t feel bad about it, Jon takes on board all inputs, but under those velvet gloves he wears there are sharp clenched claws at the ready to deal with Spammice!!! Shocked Grin

That's what threw me, that he wasn't doing anything about installing anti-spam mods that were written for YaBB, because I've never seem him just lay down in defeat. And I could tell that he hates spammers just as much as the rest of us. He's said as much here in this forum. So his public actions about it didn't make any sense to me; that all he was doing was swatting away the spam when it hit the forum. But then, I should have realized the obvious in that his hands were tied.

Sometimes I can't see the forest because of the trees.  Roll Eyes

Still, allowing spam-bots to post in this forum was, and is unacceptable. After all, this is YaBB's showcase forum; not good. Thankfully with more moderators, those spam posts will now be swatted away in a more timely fashion.

On a related note, I'm very pleased that he's made the move to add more moderators, which is something I've also advocated. Publicly, unless I missed it, I was the only one suggesting this, although I do know that private discussions about it were going on.

However YaBB improves, and however it happens, I'm all in favor of it. Squeaky wheels unite!  Smiley

Edited:
Now more than ever, I'm very excited for YaBB! Good energies!  Cool

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:05pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:06pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 10:48pm:
Having successfully registered over at the YaBB Dev Forum, I've decided to open a service.  For a flat rate of one pint of Guinness, I'll register for you...  Wink

Grin

OK - I'll admit it is a bit blinding  Cheesy

it only took me 3 - 4 attempts and lots of squinting eyes lol is that good or bad Cheesy

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Noisy CAPTCHA verification code
Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:06pm:
it only took me 3 - 4 attempts and lots of squinting eyes lol is that good or bad Cheesy

Yeah, that random noise is very noisy. It took me a few tries as well. I ended up putting on my reading glasses, which kind of made it better. I came close to using a magnifying glass.

Maybe someone can install one or more of the ant-spam mods, and do away with the CAPTCHA verification code altogether.

Or they can always implement ggn's anti-spam hack, which stopped spam-bots cold when I used it for our forum. When I did that, I took away all of the noise to make the verification code a snap to read.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo