Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spam Problem with my forum (Read 3,715 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Spam Problem with my forum
Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:36pm
Post Tools
Finn13 wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 2:12pm:
How can you add this note on the forum?

The easiest way to do this is to simply create your own "Register" menu tab after you've disabled YaBB's registration feature (click the "Add a tab" icon to add that tab).

There are some quirks in this feature of YaBB, but with a little practice it's easy enough to make it work for you just fine.

So as it is in any forum, people will still be able to click the "Register" tab in your menu, and it will click over to a post you'll have created that will have instructions about how to register.

Keep in mind that a number of us have been able to install or implement anti-spam measures that have effectively kept spam bots from registering. Even hu-bots can be stopped.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:37pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 3:42pm
Post Tools
Finn13 wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 2:12pm:
"Meanwhile, if I remember correctly about that older version of YaBB, you can shut off its registration feature, and replace it with a clearly visible notice to let people know they can contact you to be registered. Have that notice click over to a post you'll have created that will have instructions about how to register.

Ask people to provide their chosen username, and let them know you'll be giving them a temporary password that they can change to one of their choice after they've logged into the forum."

Open './Languages/English/Error.lng' and find:
Code
Select All
'registration_disabled' 

Edit the text within the double quotes after the '=>' but do not use double quotes within the new text - you will break things. (If you absolutely must use double quotes within the quoted string, write them like ' \" ', not ' " '.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Finn13
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 2:12pm
Post Tools
"Meanwhile, if I remember correctly about that older version of YaBB, you can shut off its registration feature, and replace it with a clearly visible notice to let people know they can contact you to be registered. Have that notice click over to a post you'll have created that will have instructions about how to register.

Ask people to provide their chosen username, and let them know you'll be giving them a temporary password that they can change to one of their choice after they've logged into the forum."

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 10:48pm
Post Tools
Mudaber Qureshi wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:24pm:
Bill Myers your reply was best and relevant to my problem Specially thanks to you

I've already thanked you, but my thank you post was removed. Sorry about that.

But don't sweat it if you're not able to read this ' cause I sent a copy to you via email.  Wink

Edited:
Sheesh! My shortened thank you post doesn't make a lot of sense.  Roll Eyes

But for our fun little email group, you'll get whats going on. Shhhh! You guys are funny! Wink

moderated ----------- restored by JonB ------------ 31/07/2012 2135 TU
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:42pm by JonB »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:36am
Post Tools
Mudaber Qureshi wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:24pm:
Bill Myers your reply was best and relevant to my problem Specially thanks to you

I'll try to once again give a public "you're welcome" since it's the right thing to do. But so far I've had a number of normal posts deleted from this topic, so who knows what's going to happen with this post?

For as long as this reply stays here, more on what's been happening lately can be read here in YaBB's other support forum.

Oh, and on the subject of spam, well, I think many of us feel the same way about what should be done.

Meanwhile, it's good to know that yet another YaBBer has been able to stop spammers cold.  Smiley

IP Logged

Mudaber Qureshi
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.1
Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:24pm
Post Tools

IP Logged

Mudaber Qureshi
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.1
Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:22pm
Post Tools
I have found a spam protection mod which has stopped spam memberships and spam messages from my forum. I am thanksful to all for helping and assisting me .

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 9:43am
Post Tools
Mudabar, can you please give us a link to your forum.

Derek

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 6:50am
Post Tools
Mudaber Qureshi wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 5:27am:
How can I upgrade my yabb forum . ?

You can click this link for the page to download the latest release of YaBB. Instructions are included in the downloaded package.

Mudaber Qureshi wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 5:26am:
Brother I have used spam mod but my forum is full of spam messages and members Sad

Out of curiosity, what anti-spam mod have you been using for your forum? I'm not aware of any anti-spam mods that could be installed for your version of YaBB, which is why I suggested that you upgrade your forum.

Happily as I understand it, the next version of YaBB will include ant-spam tools that will stop spam-bots cold.

IP Logged

Mudaber Qureshi
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.1
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 5:27am
Post Tools
How can I upgrade my yabb forum . ?

IP Logged

Mudaber Qureshi
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.1
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 5:26am
Post Tools
Brother I have used spam mod but my forum is full of spam messages and members Sad

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Possible solutions - Re: Spam Problem with my foru
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 5:38pm
Post Tools
Mudaber Qureshi wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:29pm:
I am using Final Version of YaBB but I am facing spams with my forum . Sad What should I do for the prevention of my forum from spams.

The best thing you can do is to upgrade YaBB to the latest stable version, and then add at least one of the anti-spam mods that are available.

Meanwhile, if I remember correctly about that older version of YaBB, you can shut off its registration feature, and replace it with a clearly visible notice to let people know they can contact you to be registered. Have that notice click over to a post you'll have created that will have instructions about how to register.

Ask people to provide their chosen username, and let them know you'll be giving them a temporary password that they can change to one of their choice after they've logged into the forum.

Until our forum became inundated with spammers, I happily stayed with the version of YaBB that you use even though newer versions had been provided. I ended up upgrading that older version of YaBB to the 2.4 version our site still operates today.

Good luck!

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:27pm
Post Tools
Oops
Just checked his profile  Cheesy

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:07pm
Post Tools
@ depablo -

I think our new friend may mean he has YaBB Gold final (1.x)

@ Mudaber Qureshi

Could you confirm the YaBB version you are using???  The advice given will vary accordingly.

thank you
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Post Tools
Are you able to install a mod using boardmod?

If so download and install this:
SpamFruits

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top