Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Installed Board - so close !!! (Read 4,036 times)
DaveRolph

New Installed Board - so close !!!
Jul 18th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Post Tools
New Forum Install with PERL.

Its been a while since I set a forum up but I have had a few YABB installs years ago. I have managed to get as far as the board running and all settings etc seem to work OK but the Advanced Link gives me a 502 Error "Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server".

I did really take my time with the upload format and also the permissions (I remembered this from the old board installs).

Are there particular files that I might have missed and is the advanced link where you take it out of Maintenance Mode ?

Thanks in advance, glad to see YABB still going strong.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: New Installed Board - so close !!!
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 7:15pm
Post Tools
Which version have you installed? 2.5 has a few bugs left, so check the bug fix section here and at http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=bugs
In 2.5, going in and out of Maintenance mode is under Maintenance Controls -> Maintenance Settings.

A Search on this board should bring up some threads on other people's prior problems with Forum Configuration -> Advanced Settings.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Post Tools
DaveRolph wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 5:16pm:
Advanced Link gives me a 502 Error

a 502 Error is a Bad Gateway that means that one server received an invalid response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser it is usually a network error between servers on the Internet, meaning the problem is not with your PC or Internet connection. Even though the issue is not yours to troubleshoot or resolve, there are a few things you can do:

1.Retry the web page by hold (left Ctrl) + F5
info

IE6 + and Firefox 2.x. F5 will try to utilize cached content as much as possible, while "Ctrl+F5" is intended to abandon all cached content and just retrieve all content from the servers again. Even though the 502 Bad Gateway error is reporting a networking error outside of your control, the error may only be temporary. Trying the page again will often be successful.

2.Come back later. Since the 502 Bad Gateway error message is an issue with the web site's network, everyone visiting this site is probably experiencing the same problem as you. Chances are an issue like that has already been brought to the attention of an administrator at the web site and someone is working to resolve it.

if you keep getting this ask your host if they are having any probs.
hope this helps  Smiley

Edited:
also This "usually" happens instead of a 500IE on Linux/Unix servers and caused "usually" by a corrupt file that was incorrectly uploaded.  It is VERY important to transfer ALL files under the yabb2 folder as Ascii Transfer mode.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:33pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

DaveRolph

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 6:53am
Post Tools
Dandello, I installed 2.5 AE I remember now there is a patch on the download page ? I will try that. I could not find anything related to my problem on your forum.

xnoddyx, the problems are very consistent so I think its probably the file upload type or permissions thanks for the reply, I was kind of looking to see which sections were in use when I clicked the advanced link.

I will run the full update and double check upload method and permissions.

Thanks again.

Dave

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:09pm
Post Tools
For 2.5AE, there are no 'updates' or official patches (unless something was added in the last month). The 'upgrade' version in the downloads is for moving 2.4 to 2.5.

Bug-fixes have to be handled by uploading specifically fixed files or hand editing files using a text-editor. Look in the YaBB2 Development Bug Boards for the bug and fixed bug announcements.

xnoddyx is correct that a 502 error is unlikely to be related to YaBB itself. A 500 error would be program related - 'Premature end of headers'. (Although I admit to being puzzled that it seems that only that section of Admin triggers it.) But do make sure that ./Admin/Settings_Advanced.pl uploaded correctly as ASCII.

(I am also puzzled as to why ./Admin/Settings_Advanced.pl seems to cause so many people problems.)

The place to search is yabbforum.com (this forum right here.) My own test site has some bug-fixed files for download, but a search there isn't going to come up with anything useful for you - unless you're really interested on my comments on deprecated code.

And before you open your forum to the world, make sure you've installed at least one anti-spam mod. Anti-spam quiz and spamfruits are both extremely effective. But remember on anti-spam quiz to change the quiz questions to niche specific ones - the spam-bots know the answers to the generic questions.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:23pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:10pm
Post Tools
Hi DaveRolph

when you clicked the advanced link the files are

/Boards/forum.control  
/Sources/Load.pl
/Members/admin.vars    
/Variables/log.txt    
/Sources/Subs.pl
/Variables/bots.hosts    
/Variables/periodon.txt    
/Variables/activlog.txt    
/Sources/System.pl
/Sources/Security.pl
/Variables/gmodsettings.txt
/Languages/English/*.*
/Admin/NewSettings.pl
/Admin/AdminSubList.pl
/Admin/Settings_Advanced.pl
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:53pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:37pm
Post Tools
but only /Admin/Settings_Advanced.pl is unique to that function. Every other file listed is called in other places that supposedly aren't failing.

This is the list from one of my own installs as listed by Debug:
./Admin/AdminSubList.pl
./Admin/NewSettings.pl
./Admin/Settings_Advanced.pl
./Languages/English/Admin.lng
./Languages/English/FA.lng
./Languages/English/Main.lng
./Languages/English/Menu.lng
./Sources/DateTime.pl
./Sources/Load.pl
./Sources/Security.pl
./Sources/Subs.pl
./Sources/System.pl
./Templates/default/AdminCentre.template
./Variables/Menu2.def
./Variables/Settings.pl
./Variables/gmodsettings.txt
./Boards/forum.control
./Members/admin.vars
./Variables/log.txt

/Variables/bots.hosts   
/Variables/periodon.txt   
/Variables/activlog.txt    
aren't on my list as being loaded - in fact /Variables/periodon.txt and /Variables/activlog.txt aren't even in my vanilla-install Variables directory. Those are from the OnlineActivity mod.

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:51pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:54pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:37pm:
but only /Admin/Settings_Advanced.pl is unique to that function. Every other file listed is called in other places that supposedly aren't failing.

This is the list from one of my own installs as listed by Debug:
./Admin/AdminSubList.pl
./Admin/NewSettings.pl
./Admin/Settings_Advanced.pl
./Languages/English/Admin.lng
./Languages/English/FA.lng
./Languages/English/Main.lng
./Languages/English/Menu.lng
./Sources/DateTime.pl
./Sources/Load.pl
./Sources/Security.pl
./Sources/Subs.pl
./Sources/System.pl
./Templates/default/AdminCentre.template
./Variables/Menu2.def
./Variables/Settings.pl
./Variables/gmodsettings.txt
./Boards/forum.control
./Members/admin.vars
./Variables/log.txt

/Variables/bots.hosts    
/Variables/periodon.txt    
/Variables/activlog.txt    
aren't on my list as being loaded - in fact /Variables/periodon.txt and /Variables/activlog.txt aren't even in my vanilla-install Variables directory. Those are from the OnlineActivity mod.

Edited:
thanks Dandello i knew i was missing some files  Embarrassed Roll Eyes lol

Quote:
/Variables/bots.hosts   
/Variables/periodon.txt   
/Variables/activlog.txt    

yer sorry think there from my mods woops  Embarrassed

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

DaveRolph

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:25am
Post Tools
Thanks for sticking with this both of you. The download page is confusing (never mind off putting to new visitors being 2 years old but that's something else !). It would have been easier if it just said New Install / Upgrade but thanks Dandello I get it now.

Anyway back to business, I have this morning contacted my hosting provider (FastHosts) as I now see that when I try to set the permissions on this folder I am getting errors as follows :

Quote:
Status:        Set permissions of '/htdocs/cgi-bin/yabb2/Admin' to '755'
Command:       SITE CHMOD 755 Admin
Response:      550 Could not change perms on Admin: No such file or directory

I will be sure to look at Anti Spam plug ins etc once the site is working.

Thanks again

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:42pm
Post Tools
DaveRolph wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:25am:
permissions on this folder I am getting errors as follows : Quote:Status:        Set permissions of '/htdocs/cgi-bin/yabb2/Admin' to '755'Command:       SITE CHMOD 755 AdminResponse:      550 Could not change perms on Admin: No such file or directory

when you ftp into your site can you see /htdocs/cgi-bin/yabb2/Admin if not re-upload it from the 2.5 zip and see if you get any errors on upload then logoff from ftp then login agen and see if it is still there if not and no errors on upload then my best guess is your host is removing it.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

DaveRolph

Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:16pm
Post Tools
Well after so much heart ache with Fasthosts it seems that although we have PERL scripting enabled its actually on a Windows Server and therefore file rights like these are not available !

So now I have a new installation on a Lynux Server and everything works fine. Question is now can I easily move the templates, categories and boards from the old forum to the new ?

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:36pm
Post Tools
DaveRolph wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:16pm:
Well after so much heart ache with Fasthosts it seems that although we have PERL scripting enabled its actually on a Windows Server and therefore file rights like these are not available !

So now I have a new installation on a Lynux Server and everything works fine. Question is now can I easily move the templates, categories and boards from the old forum to the new ?

Hi DaveRolph

if we had that info from the start then we would have pointed you to this info http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190671361

but its good to see you up and running  Wink

now to your Question this is a yes see all you need here http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190674425 if you need any more help or have any more Question  don't hesitate to post back with them  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

DaveRolph

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 7:02am
Post Tools
Thanks xnoddyx, I did not know this was the setip to be honest but you would have expected they would have realised this straight away when I gave them the error log, instead it took 4 days and a lot of hassle !

I will check that thread on now, thanks for all your help.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 7:54am
Post Tools
DaveRolph wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 7:02am:
Thanks xnoddyx, I did not know this was the setip to be honest but you would have expected they would have realised this straight away when I gave them the error log, instead it took 4 days and a lot of hassle !

I will check that thread on now, thanks for all your help.

Its ok we know hosts can be a bit of a pain. when you sent them your log you probably baffled the contact centre staff as its run just like a call center lol

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

DaveRolph

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:52am
Post Tools
All working now, thanks so much.

I have a new question and will post as a separate thread as this one has been resolved and hope it helps someone else in the future !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools