BoardPassword    
  1 (2.4%)
Reason Mod    
  1 (2.4%)

Total votes: 42
« Last Modified by: Dandello on: Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:21pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which Mods? (Read 17,458 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB's future - Re: Which Mods?
Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 4:55pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 2:38pm:
Personally, I wouldn't be averse to offering a 'basic' YaBB with just the anti-spam and simpler Admin add-ons, one with YaMM in the package and a fully tricked out version with the kitchen sink. - but that's just me. And since they would all be on the same chassis, they would be easily upgradable from one to the other. ) Just an idea.  Cool

I like your thinking! What a concept! Once again, YaBB would be a leader in the community of forums; a YaBB-lite, and a tricked out YaBB kitchen sink version.

You're not the only one advocating this.

I realized this a while back after thinking that I thought of something brilliantly simple; to use a stable version of YaBB for this forum so that it can be showcased as it's meant to be; a great forum!
Excuse me ... almost swallowed a hair in my coffee! TMI? Shocked  Smiley

Okay, it's out now, but it still feels like it's there. Back to regular programming ...  Roll Eyes

So yes, I've seen discussions elsewhere about using a stable version of YaBB here. I hope it happens so that this forum can run the way that it should.

And as a side note - I've looked at the possibility of having the BoardMod program or something like it as part of the package with Admin controls. The biggest issue it that the Mods are frequently incompatible with ... Not saying it can't be done, just pointing out that it's not easy.

I get that about the incompatibility issues of using/marrying BoardMod with YaBB ... for the reasons you mentioned. Valid points!

I guess what I'm trying to say not so well is that it would be great for YaBB to have at its core a solid foundation on which to add mods, i.e., so that modders could rely on YaBB's basics, and develop mods that would be truly compatible.

Maybe a "standard" could be decided upon, and made available as a base/core/foundation for modders so that mods could work independently from one another no matter if there are 2 mods installed, or 100.

As I understand it about BoardMod, that place was basically created because of frustrations with the direction YaBB was taking; the "lack" of apparent leadership, etc. So in practice, BoardMod forked off on its own. At least that's the perception of it all.

Edited:
batchman wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:01am:
As far as I know, BoardMod did not 'break off' from YaBB in any sort of objection as to where it was going. It was always to be the place where new features could be -added- to the original software.

Carsten's forum evidently became independent of YaBB, and broke away from it because of these same frustrations (as I read about it here in his forum).

So evidently what's happened is that the YaBB community kind of split up in different directions; ironically by people who love YaBB; so that YaBB can be better.

My hope is that with this renewed effort to cooperate, and further develop YaBB, some of those who broke away will once again join "the team" to work together again; but this time, really work together.

Of course, a real unity will be difficult to achieve if in fact this forum continues to operate as it is. But my "YaBB for Dummies" mind tells me that fixing the small things that are wrong will go a long way in making this a comprehensive community again.

So one small step that will seem like a huge move to make things better would be to operate this forum with a stable version of YaBB.

At the very least, for the majority of people who come here for a variety of reasons, "they" will see how well YaBB actually works, and YaBB will once again grow exponentially in the way that it otherwise deserves.

If it's any consolation to those of you are "afraid" to speak out, or publicly support any of us who do tell the truth about what's going on, don't sweat being attacked for it. Human nature will be at work, so it's not a big deal.

Please remember, ideally this is the place to improve YaBB, and to build upon its great software. But if all else fails, and the truth doesn't win out here, these truths will win out someplace else even if in the end that means other forum software is used ... or YaBB is simply developed, and supported elsewhere.

To an obvious extent, YaBB has already been split up, and that was done with good intentions. All that's needed now is a little YaBB glue to put the pieces back together, and we'll all be like gold.

Okay, back to my coffee, and preferably without any more hair in it. Tongue

Edited:
Edited to correct a bit of bad grammar.

Edited:
Edited to add another perspective about why Board Mod was created (probably the most accurate description).

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:49am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Which Mods?
Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 2:38pm
Post Tools
batchman wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 5:41am:
And then I have to ask, because I don't see on the list one of the largest mods that has always been among the more difficult to install simply because its 100+ install steps can so easily conflict with something else ... has YaMS/Member Map already been added to the main package without my registering it? And if not, as one of the more popular long-time mods, should it not be added as an option?

I haven't personally worked with YaMM and had completely forgotten how popular it is. (Personally, I wouldn't be averse to offering a 'basic' YaBB with just the anti-spam and simpler Admin add-ons, one with YaMM in the package and a fully tricked out version with the kitchen sink. - but that's just me. And since they would all be on the same chassis, they would be easily upgradable from one to the other. ) Just an idea.  Cool

Quote:
Off the subject for consideration: Thankfully since there seems to be some real collaboration, and a move to develop YaBB again, can there please be some advocacy to operate this forum with a stable version of YaBB?

You're not the only one advocating this.

And as a side note - I've looked at the possibility of having the BoardMod program or something like it as part of the package with Admin controls. The biggest issue it that the Mods are frequently incompatible with one another in terms of the installation process. While the Mods over in the BoardMod board all have to be installable through the BoardMod program, they only have to be installable on a virgin, vanilla version of YaBB. Asking the Modders to make sure everything is mutually compatible is an unreasonably onerous demand - hence the manual install instructions. (And on a heavily modded board, even the manual instructions are mostly advisory.)  Not saying it can't be done, just pointing out that it's not easy.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2012 at 3:00pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:46am
Post Tools
I totally agree with batchman as my same views on page one of this thread. YaBB is still a flat file system and I would tread carefully as we do not wish to revisit past issues with server loads. Not everyone can afford VPS etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2012 at 3:59pm by depablo »  

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Hopefully all can be added by admins. -Re: Which M
Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:29am
Post Tools
For the record in case the numbers matter, after a "vote" has been recorded in a poll, if it's subsequently modified with additional choices, no further voting can be made.

So for me, I could only choose one or more of 10 mods versus any of the additional 5 mods that were added (I chose all 10).

Regarding modifications to YaBB, my hope is that YaBB's Next Edition Core will be written in such a way that mods can easily be added through the Admin Center (mods that have been proven to be stable).

On that note if it would be considered a mod, it would be so much better for YaBB's community at large to have a more user friendly installation package. Another forum that's basically an updated version of YaBB already does this. So yes, if anyone is doubtful about this, it can be done.

Regarding self installation when there are complications, an accompanying manual installation guide that is comprehensive should be included (semi-automated). It would kind of be like the way BoardMod works with its instructions for a manual installation that's available whenever automation fails.

Off the subject for consideration: Thankfully since there seems to be some real collaboration, and a move to develop YaBB again, can there please be some advocacy to operate this forum with a stable version of YaBB?

After all, this is YaBB's showcase forum.  Smiley

With this forum operating as it should, as a showcase for how well we know YaBB really operates, the development of YaBB's Next Generation won't have to be rushed. New webmasters to YaBB can install a stable version, and support for it can continue to be given in a timely fashion.

Let's not sweat the slowdown of the last couple of years. YaBB's on a roll now!  Smiley

batchman wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 5:41am:
There's the other side of this (sorry, playing Devil's Advocate).

Great points!  Cool

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 5:41am
Post Tools
There's the other side of this (sorry, playing Devil's Advocate).

Which is the fear of making the software too large, clunky, and difficult to figure out by throwing in every feature in creation, when a lot of people may not need them, and may not want to go to the trouble of figuring them out ... which is why, in the past, so many mods were never added to the main software.

So to try and keep things 'slim' we had the active mod community at Boardmod.

Now as I was saying, I am playing Devil's Advocate here, since my forums usually have at least 98% of the mods that have ever been released, including 20% that I have installed, even though I don't ever plan to use them.

Personally, I'd like to see two versions of YaBB, probably one hosted at YaBB, and the other at BoardMod ... the still lean and mean main version on YaBB, and the Kitchen Sink version on BoardMod, which includes every mod that has been created and tested for the software, already ready to go.

And then I have to ask, because I don't see on the list one of the largest mods that has always been among the more difficult to install simply because its 100+ install steps can so easily conflict with something else ... has YaMS/Member Map already been added to the main package without my registering it? And if not, as one of the more popular long-time mods, should it not be added as an option?

If it has already been added, then please ignore the preceeding paragraph.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:35pm
Post Tools
I guess I have to get another list going for another poll.  Wink

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #20 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 10:19pm
Post Tools
Hotlinks by Carsten was another great mod I used  Wink

Just looking at Carstens forum and 2.4 version seems to work with 2.5
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 10:22pm by depablo »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #19 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 9:56pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
There are only 15 spots on the Poll and they're all filled. 

i feel your pain  Cry

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #18 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:48pm:
I thought sticky shimmy shuffle by astropilot was a great mod for rearranging stickies  Smiley

I looked through BoardMod for this one and it looks like Jet Li was given first dibs on taking care of it when astropilot 'retired' and the links to the Yabb2+ version are gone.

Maybe Jet Li has this one on a back burner somewhere?

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #17 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:48pm
Post Tools
I thought sticky shimmy shuffle by astropilot was a great mod for rearranging stickies  Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
There are only 15 spots on the Poll and they're all filled.  Cry
But Barnstorm's RSS on Board Index is another one to look at. As well as TopicDetails.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:46pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:15pm:
Many of these are more Admin functional than 'look/feel'. I personally figure that Admins need all the help they can get.

And SpamFruits and AntiSpam Quiz aren't listed as there are already plans to include them.

Just added:
  • YaBB Advertisement
  • Advanced Email Notification
  • User Age in Message View
  • BoardPassword
  • Reason Mod

Ran out of room for ImageShack.   Cry

lol sorry Dandello i must have been having one of thows  Cheesy moments  Roll Eyes it looked like you was not going to have  SpamFruits or Anti-Spam quiz lol

as for
Quote:
ImageShack
i only put this for temporary images not for anything long term

Edited:
add RSS on Board Index - Derek Barnstorm
TopicDetails 4 YaBB25 Carsten
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:40pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Images - Re: Which Mods?
Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm:
No solution is perfect for everyone - which is also why most Mods around here have an Admin's choice function. Which is as it should be.

I agree. This is pretty much why I'll support any mod even though I may not want to use it myself. After all, as you and others have more or less stated before, anything that can be helpful to an admin is a good thing.

Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm:
I suspect any method of storing images via a 3rd party will have the same issues - you just can't trust them. Maybe we should look at a mod that acts like an attachment or avatar upload function but for images only and doesn't generate an attachment link? Something to think about, at least. The possible downside is server-space, but if the size of the graphics is limited in size...  Wink

I've always had this problem of images suddenly disappearing. Or more accurately, I long ago solved that problem by maintaining our own full inventory of images that have been published on our site since 1997. So when an image disappears, I can simply make it reappear with a direct link from our inventory.

Ironically, our most popular site where our YaBB forum resides came to be specifically because images from contributors kept disappearing whenever third party linked sites were shuttered. In those days back in 1996 (and with BBS groups circa the mid 80's for me personally), we shared stories and photos with one another. And because this was more of a local phenomenon than anything else, we actually met in person from time to time.

It's a long story, but in short our group ended up relying on me to centralize our data, which eventually went online in 1997 (ending up with a domain in 1998).

Our images, stories, and video clips are only referenced in our forum; they do not reside there. A really cool mod would be one that could identify a broken link, and notify the member that an email has been sent to fix this problem.

Edited:
Edited to fix some really bad grammar & to correct a typo.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 7:34pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Post Tools
I suspect any method of storing images via a 3rd party will have the same issues - you just can't trust them. Maybe we should look at a mod that acts like an attachment or avatar upload function but for images only and doesn't generate an attachment link? Something to think about, at least. The possible downside is server-space, but if the graphics are limited in size...  Wink

@Bill - What I've noticed about nearly all the Mods available (and this is with most forum software) is that they were written to deal with an issue an 'in-the-trenches' Admin has had and was turned into a Mod so that solution could be shared. No solution is perfect for everyone - which is also why most Mods around here have an Admin's choice function. Which is as it should be.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 7:06pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Post Tools
First off, and most importantly, I'm very thrilled to see this activity of cooperation, and involvement here in this forum regarding the next generation of YaBB; outstanding!

Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 1:33pm:
... use delete member on spammers, but for everyone else: create a group that has no permissions to do anything except view the same things that Guests can ...

Presuming that I enable a "Self Delete Lock" mod, I'm impressed with your thinking about what to do with deleted members; I hadn't thought of your solution, which I think is pretty clever.

I'm guessing a deleted member's posts could be identified with them again after they've reactivated their membership with me, which could be a nice benefit to this alternative method of actually deleting an account altogether.

Generally speaking, my position or "policy" is to always allow members to have full use of their membership; full use. I would otherwise feel awkward or immoral about having any kind of control over their online persona. This is why I'm currently against enabling a "Self Delete Lock" option if it was made available for an admin's use.

On the other hand, enabling "Self Delete Lock" would benefit members who've inadvertently deleted their memberships. And those who change their minds after having me delete their memberships could have the benefit of me being able to reactivate their old accounts if I managed them accordingly.

In any case, I've always allowed members to modify or delete their own posts, and naturally if they wish, they've always been allowed to delete their membership altogether. This is without any time limits.

In practice on our site when I've noticed it, it hasn't been uncommon for a member who has deleted their membership to sign up again. What would be really cool would be to have the ability to "delete" a membership by "ghosting" it from public view altogether, but without the purpose of deception or fraud.

Obviously if I wasn't so libertarian in my views, on my own I could ghost members who have chosen to otherwise delete their memberships.

Sometimes I think I get in my own way.  Roll Eyes

Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 1:33pm:
... use delete member on spammers ...

Regarding spammers, that's no longer a concern in our forum thanks to an anti-spam mod that's been installed (with a backup anti-spam mod in place for activation as needed). Ironically however, the suggestions you made regarding deleted members are actions I've previously taken with spammers, i.e., I've essentially disabled their accounts, and removed any real identifiers (before the spam-bot hits became so prevalent). I sometimes still do this with hu-bots whenever they manage to register.

As you might imagine, spammers don't complain to me about their accounts having been disabled. What?!  Wink

Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:15pm:
I personally figure that Admins need all the help they can get.

I agree. And again, I'm very thrilled to see everyone working together in this forum to improve YaBB, which for us users, we already know is a really terrific forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top