BoardPassword    
  1 (2.4%)
Reason Mod    
  1 (2.4%)

Total votes: 42
« Last Modified by: Dandello on: Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:21pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which Mods? (Read 16,721 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Which Mods?
Reply #41 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:49am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:15am:
Edited: Okay, cool. This edit is to note that I figured out how to Mickey-Mouse the proper time for the quotation above. I mean, seriously, "date=1342918200" made no sense to me until I started messing with it, and even now it makes little sense. But at least I got it to post the proper time (the date was okay).

it uses the same encryption stamp as the Message file naming but how to decrypt i have not giving it much thort lol

Quote:
Whatever happened to the good old YaBB 2.3.1    Cheesy

I had 28 mods all installed with BoardMod and it ran like a dream.  Roll Eyes

Despite everyone's efforts I am yet to see a version as good.  Cry

It was so good I still have the complete forum in maintenance mode and am reluctant to delete it  Cool

i'm sure it was released a week ahead of schedule as well wasent it ?.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:29am
Post Tools
Whatever happened to the good old YaBB 2.3.1    Cheesy

I had 28 mods all installed with BoardMod and it ran like a dream.  Roll Eyes

Despite everyone's efforts I am yet to see a version as good.  Cry

It was so good I still have the complete forum in maintenance mode and am reluctant to delete it  Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #39 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:15am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:08am:
yer the Mark & Quote has a bug for me at times as well i will take screenshot next time it happens to me i thort it was on the bug list but cant seem to see it just now.

Well, the following was my edit to the post of mine that you quoted ... quoted before I made the edit.

Edited:
Okay, cool. This edit is to note that I figured out how to Mickey-Mouse the proper time for the quotation above. I mean, seriously, "date=1342918200" made no sense to me until I started messing with it, and even now it makes little sense. But at least I got it to post the proper time (the date was okay).

I'm going mad here! I think it was that hair in my coffee this morning!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:08am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:03am:
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:51am:
i hate toolbars every time i am asked to fix a laptop or pc thats where i start uninstalling toolbars they just make me   Lips Sealed   Angry  lol

I feel the same way.  Angry

How weird. I couldn't get the quote feature to work on your post, so I had to Mickey-Mouse it, which obviously worked (except for the date part of it, which is wrong for your post - sorry).

I should point out that in this "Next Edition" version of YaBB, the quote feature doesn't always work; at least not for me.

yer the Mark & Quote has a bug for me at times as well i will take screenshot next time it happens to me i thort it was on the bug list but cant seem to see it just now.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #37 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:03am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:50am:
i hate toolbars every time i am asked to fix a laptop or pc thats where i start uninstalling toolbars they just make me   Lips Sealed   Angry  lol

I feel the same way.  Angry

How weird. I couldn't get the quote feature to work on your post, so I had to Mickey-Mouse it, which obviously worked (except for the date part of it, which is wrong for your post - sorry).

Edited:
Okay, cool. This edit is to note that I figured out how to Mickey-Mouse the proper time for the quotation above. I mean, seriously, "date=1342918200" made no sense to me until I started messing with it, and even now it makes little sense. But at least I got it to post the proper time (the date was okay).

I should point out that in this "Next Edition" version of YaBB, the quote feature doesn't always work; at least not for me.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:11am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #36 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:51am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:35am:
I personally use Firefox, although I have MSIE8, Chrome, Opera, and Safari all loaded onto my office desktop.

I prefer Firefox as well except when it sometimes doesn't work for stuff, in which case I usually choose Internet Explorer or Chrome.

"GoogieSpell" doesn't work in our forum because of the following error:

Code
Select All
Compress::Bzip2

Crypt::SSLeay 	Information provided by the system:

Can't locate Crypt/SSLeay.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl . ./Modules) at (eval 40) line 3.

Used by "GoogieSpell", our Spell Checker.
If this module is not installed you can not enable the Spell Checker. If you do not want to use this feature, you do not need this module. 

Just so you know, I only included our error message for a reference since using "GoogieSpell" isn't important to me.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #35 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:50am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:24pm:
Okay - so far it looks like keeping the Buddies is a good idea.

As for HTML5 - I've already converted most of my sites over to it but I haven't used any of the really wiz-bang stuff so there's backwards compatibility. I do know that getting the HTML and CSS into a strict code compliance does seem to help load times (at least on my sites) - less work for the browser as it doesn't have to guess what is meant. And getting the inline CSS out will mean that changes to look/feel can be made without messing with code that isn't in the templates.

In the same vein, I know some people would like to see the GoogieSpell spellchecker gone, but MSIE doesn't have a built-in spell checker and may not have one until IE 10 comes out - if then.

Quote:
As for HTML5 - I've already converted most of my sites over to it but I haven't used any of the really wiz-bang stuff so there's backwards compatibility.

Grin cool as backwards compatibility is what we need i was just thinking i know we have the yabb21 template maybe its time to expand this so we have a yabb21 yabb25 and have a new default that is all HTML5 hows that sounding Dandello

Quote:
I do know that getting the HTML and CSS into a strict code compliance does seem to help load times (at least on my sites) - less work for the browser as it doesn't have to guess what is meant. And getting the inline CSS out will mean that changes to look/feel can be made without messing with code that isn't in the templates.

i did see this on your test site and thort it was some of the code fixing that you had made i dident even think it was down to the CSS  Roll Eyes "And getting the inline CSS out"  Wink i have been there looking for a abit that was hardcoded into the template and thinking  Huh why is that not working lol

Quote:
I know some people would like to see the GoogieSpell spellchecker gone

i don't use this i norm just go to google or word for spell checking.

Bill Myers wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:06am:
I did notice that the add-on automatically added some kind of a tool bar, which I didn't want, so I simply disabled it.

i hate toolbars every time i am asked to fix a laptop or pc thats where i start uninstalling toolbars they just make me  Lips Sealed  Angry lol

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:35am:
I personally use Firefox, although I have MSIE8, Chrome, Opera, and Safari all loaded onto my office desktop. I fear that the people I know using MSIE are hard-pressed to download and install Firefox, much less install a mod to MSIE.  Shocked

So much depends on an Admin's evaluation of their user/members. (Hmm, I wonder if one could design a 'spellcheck sniffer' so GoogieSpell would only load for MSIE users?  Roll Eyes )

lol yer just check the User-Agent  Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:53am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #34 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:35am
Post Tools
I personally use Firefox, although I have MSIE8, Chrome, Opera, and Safari all loaded onto my office desktop. I fear that the people I know using MSIE are hard-pressed to download and install Firefox, much less install a mod to MSIE.  Shocked

So much depends on an Admin's evaluation of their user/members. (Hmm, I wonder if one could design a 'spellcheck sniffer' so GoogieSpell would only load for MSIE users?  Roll Eyes )

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #33 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:06am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:24pm:
I know some people would like to see the GoogieSpell spellchecker gone, but MSIE doesn't have a built-in spell checker and may not have one until IE 10 comes out - if then.

Ah, it seems you already know that there's a built-in spell checker for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. It helps.

As for Internet Explorer, admins can always suggest this spell checker for that browser if people want it. As stated, "ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage."

Edited:
Disclaimer: The add-on spell checker works just fine except to say that it's not automatic like the other browsers. So if you remember to use it, you need to enable it by right-clicking your mouse.

Also, I didn't pay particular attention to the installation of this add-on, but you do not have to accept the "ad" that they're promoting to make it work. Just decline it unless of course you want it; obviously.

I did notice that the add-on automatically added some kind of a tool bar, which I didn't want, so I simply disabled it. And yes, the spell checker still worked.

Edited:
Added note: Okay, it's actually a really nice spell checker with some cool features.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:25am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #32 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:24pm
Post Tools
Okay - so far it looks like keeping the Buddies is a good idea.

As for HTML5 - I've already converted most of my sites over to it but I haven't used any of the really wiz-bang stuff so there's backwards compatibility. I do know that getting the HTML and CSS into a strict code compliance does seem to help load times (at least on my sites) - less work for the browser as it doesn't have to guess what is meant. And getting the inline CSS out will mean that changes to look/feel can be made without messing with code that isn't in the templates.

In the same vein, I know some people would like to see the GoogieSpell spellchecker gone, but MSIE doesn't have a built-in spell checker and may not have one until IE 10 comes out - if then.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #31 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:07pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:49pm:
Maybe pro could have YaMM? It does seem to be a popular mod, but not easy for Newbies to install. (100+ install steps?  Shocked )

And what is there already that most people don't use?
(I've never turned on the Buddies list on my forums, and not being a gamer, I think most of the stuff in the MediaCenter is excess weight. Besides, if we manage to move to HTML5, a lot of that should be taken over by the browser - I think. Extended Profiles apparently has some issues, and not just with server loads. Maybe that should go into 'standard' rather than 'basic'.

as forums are what you can call the first online social networking i think it is best that we keep the Buddies list as for the MediaCenter this is in need of a big rework as i do know that ipads and that have problems showing youtube videos as to HTML5 this is a good move but i do know that with windows xp it wont take IE9 only IE8 and i still see lots of xp systems online and firefox well the one i have shows some probs with some HTML5 sites so i think this needs further desuchan so i think we need more input and post on boardmod and Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum to ask the Modders what they think then make a possible list that will lead to a todo list.
any one have any more thorts on this?

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #30 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:49pm
Post Tools
Maybe pro could have YaMM? It does seem to be a popular mod, but not easy for Newbies to install. (100+ install steps?  Shocked )

And what is there already that most people don't use?
(I've never turned on the Buddies list on my forums, and not being a gamer, I think most of the stuff in the MediaCenter is excess weight. Besides, if we manage to move to HTML5, a lot of that should be taken over by the browser - I think. Extended Profiles apparently has some issues, and not just with server loads. Maybe that should go into 'standard' rather than 'basic'.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:42pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:38pm:
- one thing we don't want to do is put any more pressure on our wonderful Modders by forcing them through even more hoops to ensure compatibility with other Mods.

That makes perfect sense.  Smiley

I'm guessing that modders start with a look-through of YaBB's basic files, and work from there, i.e., virgin files ... they develop their mods as if no other mods have been installed. But then, I suppose that's really the only way to do it.

I've only installed 2 mods made for YaBB, and a mod hack, so my experience is limited. In my case, however, and thankfully, the modifications were pretty much done without having to interfere with any mod that already existed. I knew enough by reading about installing mods that I should be aware of compatibility issues when installing a new mod. I guess that's a given.

On a related subject, I wonder what admins will do when they choose to upgrade their forums to the next generation of YaBB? I guess this will depend on how an upgrade is installed, how old a YaBB version is, and how many mods have been installed.

xnoddyx wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:14pm:
Edited:
i was just thinking we are talking about what to put in but what is in yabb that dont need to be there or dont get used ???

I hope developers will be careful about this. After all, there are probably many thousands of YaBB forums being used, and who knows what is being utilized in any given forum?

On that note, if I was wearing a hat, it would be taken off with a bow to honor of all the work that you modders and developers do for YaBB. I appreciate it very much!

Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:14pm
Post Tools
i have just been thinking on what batchman Dandello on having two versions i was thinking on having on having three versions 'basic' 'standard' 'pro'

'basic'
stable code base
SpamFruits
Anti-Spam
Calendar
Reason Mod
Self Delete Lock
X Posts Before Website Link
COPPA Compliance

'standard'
same as basic but with some mods
Guest Topic View Limit
BoardPassword
User Age in Message View
Online Activity

'pro'
same as 'standard' but with more mods

what do you think?

Dandello wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:38pm:
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 4:55pm:
Okay, back to my coffee, and preferably without any more hair in it.  Tongue

I have a Sheltie/mini-Spitz mix. You mean coffee isn't supposed to have hair in it?  Grin

To get back to the discussion - one thing we don't want to do is put any more pressure on our wonderful Modders by forcing them through even more hoops to ensure compatibility with other Mods. Every Mod exists because there was a need for it - even if it was for just one forum.

Edited:
my thinking on this is that our wonderful Modders will only use 'basic' or more so 'standard' as 'pro' will be yabbforum only as this will not be ment for modding

Edited:
i was just thinking we are talking about what to put in but what is in yabb that dont need to be there or dont get used ???
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:26pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:38pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 4:55pm:
Okay, back to my coffee, and preferably without any more hair in it.  Tongue

I have a Sheltie/mini-Spitz mix. You mean coffee isn't supposed to have hair in it?  Grin

To get back to the discussion - one thing we don't want to do is put any more pressure on our wonderful Modders by forcing them through even more hoops to ensure compatibility with other Mods. Every Mod exists because there was a need for it - even if it was for just one forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top