BoardPassword    
  1 (2.4%)
Reason Mod    
  1 (2.4%)

Total votes: 42
« Last Modified by: Dandello on: Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:21pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which Mods? (Read 17,360 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Which Mods?
Reply #56 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:46pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:22pm:
Thanks, xnoddyx.

I'm going to attempt it again in the next few days. I think I should be able to do it, but will need to make some changes to the mod file for it to work with the other mods that I have. I was going to go back to it and try again but just kind of forgot about it. If I run into a snag, I'll pm you.

Running into these small snags is what makes modding a YaBB forum fun. It also gives you a feeling of acomplishment when you have to work at it a bit. Just my opinion.

hope you get it running this time  Smiley i got it on my forum and don't think it needed that many edits to get it working

Dandello wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:27pm:
without extended profiles as that can be a server hog. (OR, a rebuilt and well integrated Extended profiles that isn't such a server hog.)

i think a rebuilt and test Extended profiles will be good and only as a last resort remove Extended profiles.

recode the old templates to current html/css standards so Admins who are upgrading can still have the look and feel of their older versions.

yes 3 templates 2.1, 2.5, and the new HTML5 defalt  Grin

but I'm wondering if there isn't a way of making it an Admin choice like Calendar.

i hope so  Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:26pm:
I wonder if any other forum software provides this, and if not, YaBB could take a lead position once again to showcase to the world how great its software really is. Pretty cool.

as far as i know with the free froums no it will only be yabb  Wink

Dandello wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:21pm:
downgrading the Admins will probably lose many of their mod specific settings simply because some things just won't be supported for a downgrade.

if the Convertor has some edits cant we use this for downgrading ??.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #55 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:35pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:48pm:
Okay then. So I guess it'll be important that any given forum's membership and message data basically stay with the same formatting/structure, i.e., so that the data can be ported into a fresh install of whatever version of YaBB that admins choose.

Cross-compatibility between the 3 versions is a must, as well as a version of FixFile that can take data from any older version of YaBB and bring it safely into the new version. One of the (IMHO) slow-spots in YaBB2.5 is having on-the-fly conversion of 2.3/2.4 (and sometimes even older) data configurations. Perl is fast, but every decision that has to be made takes time and even nanoseconds add up. And if you're talking about BIG boards, it will become noticeable.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #54 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:48pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:21pm:
On the bright side - since the underlying data files will have (almost) the same structure, no membership or message data should be in danger. (This obviously will be one of the big things we'll have to watch out for.)

Thanks! I'm learning more and more. I really appreciate the clarifying lessons. Smiley

Okay then. So I guess it'll be important that any given forum's membership and message data basically stay with the same formatting/structure, i.e., so that the data can be ported into a fresh install of whatever version of YaBB that admins choose.

I kind of remember doing this when I upgraded from YaBB Gold to the 2.4 version I use now.  Huh

As for mods or any other changes outside of a fresh install, I suppose the given is that these variables will have to be inventoried by respective admins, and managed accordingly.

Edited:
By the way Dandello, be prepared to become a senior in about 15 more posts I think. I suddenly felt much older when I hit that mark.

"Senior Member"  Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:50pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #53 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:21pm
Post Tools
Upgrading shouldn't be an issue thanks to the way YaBB is already built. In downgrading the Admins will probably lose many of their mod specific settings simply because some things just won't be supported for a downgrade. (This has to do with how .Admin/NewSettings.pl is built - the first time an admin hits Save (or SFS does it' thing) the old .Variables/Settings.pl will be over-written with the 'new' version of  Settings.pl. On the bright side - since the underlying data files will have (almost) the same structure, no membership or message data should be in danger. (This obviously will be one of the big things we'll have to watch out for.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #52 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:26pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:22pm:
Running into these small snags is what makes modding a YaBB forum fun. It also gives you a feeling of acomplishment when you have to work at it a bit. Just my opinion.

Admittedly, I pretty much feel this way, too. But ... I have to remind myself that many people installing and using YaBB will most likely want to do just that; enjoy an easy installation, and be able to use it pretty much as it is.

Basic: lean, mean, stable with low inherent server load - possibly without extended profiles as that can be a server hog. (OR, a rebuilt and well integrated Extended profiles that isn't such a server hog.)

Standard: A stable, bug-free version of 2.5AE/Next with calendar.

Pro: The kitchen sink version - All the bells and whistles.

I wonder if any other forum software provides this, and if not, YaBB could take a lead position once again to showcase to the world how great its software really is. Pretty cool.
On that note, what a great concept, to have 3 different options/versions.  Smiley

If this is what ends up being done, my hope is that an upgrade option to either one of the 1st two versions could be used to switch from one option to the next, i.e., so that pretty much any admin can do this in a relatively easy way.

Presumably, all versions would operate just fine in terms of using resources, but if need be, it would also be great to have the option to easily downgrade any one of the fuller versions.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #51 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:27pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 1:40pm:
^+1  and as for YaMMs  i know this can't be turnd off like Calendar but think this shud be part of it is this ok with you Dandello ?.

I think we're possibly looking at a multitude of choices for newbies.
What appears to be consensus is 3 versions, all with anti-spam mods built-in as well as the additional Admin functions and the current Ajax based functions.

Basic: lean, mean, stable with low inherent server load - possibly without extended profiles as that can be a server hog. (OR, a rebuilt and well integrated Extended profiles that isn't such a server hog.)
Standard: A stable, bug-free version of 2.5AE/Next with calendar.
Pro: The kitchen sink version - All the bells and whistles.

Along with these 3, recode the old templates to current html/css standards so Admins who are upgrading can still have the look and feel of their older versions. (Kind like turning YaBB into a Datsun 810 - 240Z drive-train and engine, family sedan body. It's what's under the hood that counts.  Grin )

Now, I admit to not having looked hard at YaMMs - but I'm wondering if there isn't a way of making it an Admin choice like Calendar. If that can be done, then adding it to Standard and Pro would definitely be the way to go. Hmm... I have a walkway to finish building today, but I think I'll install YaMMs onto one of my test 2.5+ installs later and take a look at it.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:34pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #50 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:22pm
Post Tools
Thanks, xnoddyx.

I'm going to attempt it again in the next few days. I think I should be able to do it, but will need to make some changes to the mod file for it to work with the other mods that I have. I was going to go back to it and try again but just kind of forgot about it. If I run into a snag, I'll pm you.

<div class=

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #49 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 1:40pm
Post Tools
hay batchman good to see you back Smiley as for
Quote:
Shutting up now ... sorry for rambling.

why and what rambling ? we need all the input we can get  Grin

Dandello wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:30am:
I have no problem with a history lesson here - it's hard to know where you're going if you have no clue as to where you've been.

Since Calendar is being added to YaBB, a version with YaMMs only makes sense.

^+1  and as for YaMMs  i know this can't be turnd off like Calendar but think this shud be part of it is this ok with you Dandello ?.

WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:44am:
I would like to see YaMMS added myself. I tried to install it a while back but it conflicted with so many of the other mods that I had previously installed. I really need to attempt it again and make it work.

Yup, I hereby put myself to the challenge Smiley

Oh yea, I like history lessons.

if you need help just send me a pm  Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012 at 1:52pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #48 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 7:07am
Post Tools
batchman wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:01am:
As far as I know, BoardMod did not 'break off' from YaBB in any sort of objection as to where it was going. It was always to be the place where new features could be -added- to the original software.

Thanks for the history lesson, particularly the correction you made to my post about Board Mod. I appreciate it.

Thankfully, there are other YaBB forums such as Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum where people can go to in the event this forum ever shutters itself. Happily, however, this forum seems to be getting back its mojo. If it could only operate with a stable version, this place could really start to cook again.

Speaking of which, have any of you seen the "YaBB is highly addictive, don't start" photo? If you haven't, I think you might get a kick out of it here in this post. I just noticed it late Sunday evening.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #47 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:44am
Post Tools
I would like to see YaMMS added myself. I tried to install it a while back but it conflicted with so many of the other mods that I had previously installed. I really need to attempt it again and make it work.

Yup, I hereby put myself to the challenge Smiley

Oh yea, I like history lessons.

<div class=

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #46 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:30am
Post Tools
I have no problem with a history lesson here - it's hard to know where you're going if you have no clue as to where you've been.

Since Calendar is being added to YaBB, a version with YaMMs only makes sense.

IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #45 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:01am
Post Tools
OK, a little history lesson here ... I don't feel too bad about giving a history lesson since I have been around here for ten years, now.

As far as I know, BoardMod did not 'break off' from YaBB in any sort of objection as to where it was going. It was always to be the place where new features could be -added- to the original software.

And it has pretty much always been good for that purpose, and still is. Back when we were still using the YaBB 1 series, the main software was kept really lean, and nobody who was really pushing for things saw any reason to add all the extra features to the 'main' package, but just encouraged people to use BoardMod to expand.

Then they started creating the earliest version of YaBB 2. To the best of my knowledge, that version focused on three things ... security (Ron and others, and all the hard work on the Guardian), cleaning up code (stuff that had been tweaked and tweaked and tweaked, and therefore bloated and confused and so on), and adding a very small number of mods that were seen as being so important that nobody would argue against their inclusion. Most specifically, OMario's add more smilies mod and Dave Baughman's attachments mod.

Somewhat early on, one of the biggest, most difficult to install mods got added in to the main package ... Michael's Extended Profiles mod. At the time, that was one of the two biggest, most difficult to add mods. When you have a forum and you wanted to start modding it, there were two mods that were the first you tried to muscle in, before anything else, because they were the two with the most steps, at around 100 each ... extended profiles and YaMS. (This was even before the member map was added into the YaMS package.)

As time went by, they started throwing more and more mods into YaBB, and I was (and remain) amazed at how many new mods and new features were thrown in, while there were two mods that shocked me solely by their not being added into the main build, compared to the features that were ... YaMS and the calendar mod.

I have no idea why I am typing all this. It's late, my mind is shutting down, and this seems awfully long-winded to mainly say I don't think there was any sort of annoyed split creating BoardMod, but just a well-designed division of labor planned from virtually the very beginning. With, hopefully, some interesting details added in.

Shutting up now ... sorry for rambling.

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 4:05am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:49am:
i'm sure it was released a week ahead of schedule as well wasent it ?.

Yep.  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #43 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:06am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:35am:
I personally use Firefox, although I have MSIE8, Chrome, Opera, and Safari all loaded onto my office desktop.

I just downloaded the Opera browser, which I might add as you must surely already know has its own spell checker. I like how fast it loads, including our own forum, and this one as well.

Sweet! Opera seems like a really nice browser. Cool

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #42 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 2:41am
Post Tools
Quote:
Whatever happened to the good old YaBB 2.3.1    Cheesy

I had 28 mods all installed with BoardMod and it ran like a dream.  Roll Eyes

Despite everyone's efforts I am yet to see a version as good.  Cry

It was so good I still have the complete forum in maintenance mode and am reluctant to delete it  Cool

We're talking about Programmers here - and programmers (like starship engineers) can't help but 'improve' things. (And not always for the best.  Roll Eyes - remind me some day to tell you about this poor guy who hired a PHP guru to write a mod for SMF. I'm still waiting to see if the guy's SMF install survived the experience. At last check, it hadn't.  Shocked )

And yes, most of my YaBB installs, unless I need a virgin install, are HTML5. Another trick for quicker loads - don't use graphics where CSS will do (especially if you don't mind MSIE 8 users seeing something slightly different that everybody else.)  

Quote:
Can't locate Crypt/SSLeay.pm

I had to have it installed on my 'live' server. One way to deal with this in theory - assuming you really want GoogieSpell - is go to http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/DLAND/Crypt-SSLeay-0.57/SSLeay.pm, save the file in ASCII with the name 'SSLeay.pm', then FTP it to ./Modules/Crypt/ (You'll have to create the folder in .Modules) It does have some Perl modules it depends on and those may or may not be on your host server.

There's also this in the codex: http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/?num=1225217016
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:18am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top