BoardPassword    
  1 (2.4%)
Reason Mod    
  1 (2.4%)

Total votes: 42
« Last Modified by: Dandello on: Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:21pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which Mods? (Read 17,447 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Which Mods?
Reply #71 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 5:17pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 4:52pm:
Having someone's birthdate leaves a lot to be desired, especially as people may base their pin numbers on their D.O.B.

So you're saying I shouldn't be using 04091956 as my pin number? Uh, oh.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #70 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 4:52pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:53pm:
Regarding personal data such as the publication of one's full birthday, that choice should be left up to parents and guardians of minors, and for themselves, adults should have the right to manage their own privacy choices.

Ironically, more and more, people are divulging a lot of otherwise private information about themselves such as their location at any given moment, etc. (not always voluntarily).

Having someone's birthdate leaves a lot to be desired, especially as people may base their pin numbers on their D.O.B.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #69 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:44pm
Post Tools
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:09am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 4:26pm:
But clean and bright is the way to go and blue seems to the be default for nearly every other forum software out there - it's friendly looking.

I agree that the default in pale blues should be the way to go.  Most people change the css anyway to their individual tastes and themes.

My site is an example.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #67 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:53pm
Post Tools
I've always supported compliance to restrict access to minors, but in truth parents and guardians in general are poorly educated about how to do this. Ironically, the younger generation are the ones who often teach the older generation about how to use such compliance programs. Go figure.

COPPA is well intended, and I do support it, but it's a relatively failed effort to restrict minors. After all, minors in general can get around, and defeat any of the "reasonable procedures" that our government requires. Nonetheless, I support these well intentioned efforts.

As with anything else related to minors, the best way to be wise about it is through education. Knowledge is power, and that power will always trump any negative aspects that minors will experience on the Internet as long as there is an honestly sincere effort to educate.

Regarding personal data such as the publication of one's full birthday, that choice should be left up to parents and guardians of minors, and for themselves, adults should have the right to manage their own privacy choices.

Ironically, more and more, people are divulging a lot of otherwise private information about themselves such as their location at any given moment, etc. (not always voluntarily). So in a steady fashion privacy itself may be something that few of us will be able to enjoy if or when it's deemed by society not to be much of an issue.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #66 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Post Tools
I have age restricted boards in my own forums and the COPPA mod absolutely requires age during registration. But a mod so a user can choose whether or not to show their age in their Profile would be a nice touch (because if there's already that choice in User CP, I haven't found it.) It should be fairly simple one to add.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

batchman
Support Team

Reply #65 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 6:20pm
Post Tools
Possible reasons for requiring a full birthdate have to do with controlling access to age-sensitive forums ... so I can see a reason to require a full birthdate, if you ask for it at all, but I certainly don't see any reason to not let people choose to show the year or not, depending on personal preference.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #64 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Post Tools
But clean and bright is the way to go and blue seems to the be default for nearly every other forum software out there - it's friendly looking.

I definitely agree with that. I really like how this forum looks; very easy to read; so that's what I've happily stayed with in our forum.

I've noticed some forums can be very hard to read, but again, that's the admin's choice, so they obviously feel differently about it.

To each their own on what colors to use.  Wink

As for operations, I just wish this forum would go back to a stable version since I'm guessing there are too many bugs with the version that's being used to fix what's needed so that it can be used with pride.

I still don't understand why it is that this forum continues to showcase its software with so many bugs. Roll Eyes

On a related note about developing/modding the next generation of YaBB, I don't personally care, but especially for women who choose to be discreet about their year of birth, and who still want to list their birthdays, it would be great if YaBB had that option.

As it is now, you can only list your birthday if the year is included. Facebook for instance, if I'm remembering correctly, allows birthdays to be listed without having to list the year of birth.

Qualification: Because there may be a need to require full birth dates, it would be great to be able to record this data, and yet, have the option to keep it hidden from the public (pretty much like how YaBB can allow email addresses to remain hidden from the public).

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #63 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 5:40pm
Post Tools
That will require testing with benchmarks. Some things that you think might be faster aren't always.

this is exactly what i was meaning as up to now i don't think YaBB has had any real benchmarking well not that i know of and as one of the goals of this is to have a clean stable base code part of this will be to lighten up server load if it can be.

Also - 2.5AE's default colors were gray. (Heck I built an entire site on that color scheme before I got brave enough to start messing with YaBB's innards. But clean and bright is the way to go and blue seems to the be default for nearly every other forum software out there - it's friendly looking.

this was down to it being a anniversary edition this is why it was gray but i will make a fresh install of 2.5AE and start testing a template look for 2.x  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2012 at 6:00pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #62 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 4:26pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:51pm:
"There's more than one way to do" yer thats the good and bad it's also why parts confuses me as well lol
as to the rest what do you think will be the faster and less intensive way to do it?

That will require testing with benchmarks. Some things that you think might be faster aren't always.

Also - 2.5AE's default colors were gray. (Heck I built an entire site on that color scheme before I got brave enough to start messing with YaBB's innards. But clean and bright is the way to go and blue seems to the be default for nearly every other forum software out there - it's friendly looking.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #61 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:26pm:
Another possible way of saving the settings involves reconfiguring NewSettings.pl/Settings.pl (as well as the other 'set settings' files in Admin) so that the settings are saved as a hash outside the page that's processing them (Kind of like a vars or language file - those are hashes.) Or the added settings are stored in 'Standard_settings.pl' etc.  as simply the way Standard and Pro functions. So a downgrade wouldn't remove those files.Remember, this is Perl - There's more than one way to do it.  Wink

"There's more than one way to do" yer thats the good and bad it's also why parts confuses me as well lol
as to the rest what do you think will be the faster and less intensive way to do it?

Dandello wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:26pm:
BTW, any takers on designing a YaBB sportster (basic) theme?

as it's always had a blue purple look going on maybe stay with it and i do like the look of the Y3 Dev forum as its clean and crisp  Wink

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #60 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:26pm
Post Tools
Another possible way of saving the settings involves reconfiguring NewSettings.pl/Settings.pl (as well as the other 'set settings' files in Admin) so that the settings are saved as a hash outside the page that's processing them (Kind of like a vars or language file - those are hashes.)

Or the added settings are stored in 'Standard_settings.pl' etc.  as simply the way Standard and Pro functions. So a downgrade wouldn't remove those files.

Remember, this is Perl - There's more than one way to do it.  Wink

BTW, any takers on designing a YaBB sportster (basic) theme?

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #59 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 8:59pm:
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:46pm:
if the Convertor has some edits cant we use this for downgrading ??.

The file convertor would be for moving the data files from one 'format' to another. I'm thinking more the issues with saving Admin settings to Settings.pl. When downgrading, the Admin will need to keep the 'enhanced' version of NewSettings.pl to keep from having those settings disappear if they want to upgrade at any point in the future. The rest will depend on which mods end up in 'Standard' and 'Pro'.

yes this was what i was thinking When downgrading convertor would move the 'enhanced' settings from Settings.pl to Standard_Settings.pl or Pro_Settings.pl and save them and then if or when they start Upgrading agen it will check Standard_Settings.pl or Pro_Settings.pl and pull back the info it is looking for and say they go from pro to basic then upgrade to standard then all the convertor will need to do is pull the info from Pro_Settings.pl as all the info for Standard will also be in pro and then just save that to Settings.pl.

but in saying that maybe just a Enhanced_Settings.pl so downgrading will save all Enhanced Settings here and if they go from pro to basic then upgrade to standard then all the convertor will need to do is pull part of the data from Enhanced Settings and just leave the data for Pro.

and are we set on
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 7:14pm:
'basic'stable code base
SpamFruits
Anti-Spam quiz
Calendar
Reason Mod
Self Delete Lock
X Posts Before Website Link
COPPA Compliance

this for basic as if we are then we need to ask the Mod Writer permission next.

WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 11:58pm:
Thaxnoddyx wrote Yesterday at 7:46pm:hope you get it running this time   i got it on my forum and don't think it needed that many edits to get it working Thanks. Im currently out of town. When I get back home and get caught up, I'll attempt it again. Im sure it wont be too big of a problem.

cool  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2012 at 2:27pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #58 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 11:58pm
Post Tools
Thaxnoddyx wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:46pm:
hope you get it running this time   i got it on my forum and don't think it needed that many edits to get it working

Thanks. Im currently out of town. When I get back home and get caught up, I'll attempt it again. Im sure it wont be too big of a problem.

Bill Myers wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:26pm:
I have to remind myself that many people installing and using YaBB will most likely want to do just that; enjoy an easy installation, and be able to use it pretty much as it is.

Very true. Which also brings me back to my days in the beginning. I wanted it to just do its job. I did not want to be bothered with having to play around with any code, then I got the YaBB and Mod Fever.  Wink

Thankfully, for new admins starting out with YaBB, when a problem arises, help in this forum, over at Boardmod.org and in Carstens forum is always available.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #57 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 8:59pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:46pm:
if the Convertor has some edits cant we use this for downgrading ??.

The file convertor would be for moving the data files from one 'format' to another. I'm thinking more the issues with saving Admin settings to Settings.pl. When downgrading, the Admin will need to keep the 'enhanced' version of NewSettings.pl to keep from having those settings disappear if they want to upgrade at any point in the future. The rest will depend on which mods end up in 'Standard' and 'Pro'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top