Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
 25 Which Mods? (Read 16,420 times)
Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Re: Which Mods?
Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:40pm
Post Tools
The problem I have run across with ImageShack is that with some posts going back a few years the images have gone.

I don't use it anymore.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:41pm by »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:15pm
Post Tools
Many of these are more Admin functional than 'look/feel'. I personally figure that Admins need all the help they can get.

And SpamFruits and AntiSpam Quiz aren't listed as there are already plans to include them.

Just added:
  • YaBB Advertisement
  • Advanced Email Notification
  • User Age in Message View
  • BoardPassword
  • Reason Mod

Ran out of room for ImageShack.   Cry
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:25pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 4:56pm
Post Tools
Some mods are functional but I suspect in the past various mods where considered resource hogs and should be installed through boardmod.

Personally installing mods is the fun part although some folk might struggle if they do not take the time to learn the installation process.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 3:20pm
Post Tools
I actually so no reason why any fully released mod that has been fully tested is not part of future releases.

Most mods allow you to activate or turn them on.

Derek

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 2:49pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 11:00pm:
Note that SpamFruits and Anti-Spam quiz aren't on the list
can i ask why these are not on the list  Huh

Edited:
i think
  • ImageShack Uploader for YaBB 2.5 AE      Curtiss Grymala. Updated for YaBB 2.5 AE by Thomas Müller (ThM)

• User Age in Message View      Derek Barnstorm

• BoardPassword      Boris Tjuvanov (MF-B), Jeffrey Man (Jet Li) and Detlef Pilzecker (deti)

• Reason Mod      Boris Tjuvanov (MF-B) and Jeffrey Man (Jet Li)

prob a lot more but thats just some of the ones i use will have a look for more soon  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 3:04pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 2:26pm
Post Tools
Woops, online activity is already there Smiley

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 2:24pm
Post Tools
For me there are extra mods to what are listed in the poll.

1. YaBB Advertisement
2. Advanced Email Notification
3. Online Activity

Cheers

Derek

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 1:33pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:07am:
With this mod if I use it, I'll probably then add instructions about how to delete one's membership, i.e., that I would do that for them.

Then again, if they change their mind, and people have I'll be back to square one with them.   Roll Eyes

One way to deal with that isn't a tech solution as much as an Admin one - use delete member on spammers, but for everyone else: create a group that has no permissions to do anything except view the same things that Guests can, put the 'deleted' members into that and change their passwords so they can't log in. This also gives you the flexibility to 'anonymize' their account if that's what's needed. (Change their screen name and contact info.)

This gives the added precaution of blocking re-registration with their old user name and email addy without using ban. (My own experience has been that if they're so annoyed with everything as demand to be deleted, I may not want them back. But every forum's different.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Thank you. - Re: Which Mods?
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:45am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:24am:
The self-delete lock doesn't prevent people from deleting or editing their own posts - YaBB already gives the Admin the ability to allow or disallow that and in what time-frame. What it does is keep people from removing - accidentally or deliberately - their membership.

Thanks for the clarification.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:24am
Post Tools
The self-delete lock doesn't prevent people from deleting or editing their own posts - YaBB already gives the Admin the ability to allow or disallow that and in what time-frame. What it does is keep people from removing - accidentally or deliberately - their membership. YaBB has had the instructions on how to do this for some time - this Mod makes it an Admin Centre choice.

On my own forums I've had people accidentally delete their accounts (good thing I had backups) and others who deleted themselves just so their buddies would cause drama. (I've also had troll problems.)

Now they have to go through me.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:26am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:07am
Post Tools
Thanks Dandello for being so involved in YaBB. Smiley

I voted to have all of the listed mods included even though I'm personally against the Self Delete Lock mod.

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:24am:
The self-delete lock doesn't prevent people from deleting or editing their own posts - YaBB already gives the Admin the ability to allow or disallow that and in what time-frame. What it does is keep people from removing - accidentally or deliberately - their membership.

Thanks for the clarification!

In our own forum we'll continue to allow members to delete their own membership if they so choose. However, this is a mod that could be very helpful, and probably one I'll consider more seriously.

After all, not too long ago a member in our forum inadvertently deleted his membership ... long story ... so this option would have been a good one to have implemented.

Thankfully, I had a backup of this guy's membership, so I was able to restore it.

With this mod if I use it, I'll probably then add instructions about how to delete one's membership, i.e., that I would do that for them.

Then again, if they change their mind, and people have I'll be back to square one with them.  Smiley

Despite the merits of a self delete lock mod, and despite the tool it gives to those admins who simply must have full control of their own forums, I see this as reverse censoring.

In other words, people should always have the right to delete, edit, or modify their own posts even when obvious "problems" can result from such a freedom.

I realize that I'll most probably be in the minority about the use of such a mod, so there's no point in debating the topic. It's a personal choice I've made out of respect to our own forum's membership. Obviously, admins can make their own personal choice about this.

But don't you ever wish you could take back what you may have said out of anger, or in a moment of foolishness, or whatever?

At least in our forum you can.  Cool
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012 at 12:44am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Which Mods?
Jul 19th, 2012 at 11:00pm
Post Tools
These are just a small sampling of mods that might well be added to YaBB Next as part of the package, depending on how many people would like to have them. (Note that SpamFruits and Anti-Spam quiz aren't on the list nor is Calendar as Calendar is already part of Next and the two major anti-spam mods are (hopefully) also going to be part of the package. (And if any other great anti-spam mods come around, we'll be looking at those, too.)

If there are any other mods you've found to be indispensable, let us know and we can add it to the Poll.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top