Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Mark and Quote feature (Read 1,609 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Mark and Quote feature
Jul 22nd, 2012 at 4:02am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:32am:
I'll add this observation as well - while Quote seems to keep the UBB codes and smilies, Mark & Quote does not.

I was thinking of posting this in the Think Tank section, but that would require me to think.  Roll Eyes

Besides, I know what I'm posting here wouldn't belong thereTongue

So here's the thing. You see the quote I have above? Well, I used this forum's "Mark and Quote" feature to enable it. No biggie, right? I mean, all of you know how to do this, right? And all of you know what it actually does, right? Of course you do! Well, I didn't.

I can't believe I was that stupid about it, but I had no idea what "Mark and Quote" was supposed to do, or how it worked until just a few minutes before this post after I tested it in my own forum.

Man oh man! I've been doing my quotations the hard way by simply using the "Quote" feature, and then deleting what I didn't want.

It makes me wonder what else I don't know about using YaBB. Unbelievable!  Roll Eyes

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Re: Mark and Quote feature
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 4:23am
Post Tools
And here I sat all this time wondering how you quoted part of a post and kept the smileys intact when I couldn't. Had no idea you weren't using "mark and quote."

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 4:49am
Post Tools
I think there are a few people out there who do not understand Mark and Quote. Below is a thread off my old forum where I explained it to a member

Quote:
Other forums let you click on quote and then take out what isn't relevant.  Apparently, this software doesn't allow such editing

Yes it does Smiley  Just highlight the words you wish to quote and then click on "Mark & Quote".  See pic below that shows how. Click on it to bring to full size.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 5:05am
Post Tools
I've had trouble getting the formatting and smilies to stay when using Mark & Quote. Otherwise it works fine.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 5:39am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 5:05am:
I've had trouble getting the formatting and smilies to stay when using Mark & Quote. Otherwise it works fine.

Ah, and now I see what you mean. Same for me here, and in my own forum.

Okay; good to know. So you just don't use that feature if you want to quote smilies. Got it!  Cheesy

On a related note I guess, I just realized that we can make test posts in our trash bins if you use them, and nobody ever has to see them.

I used to sometimes make test posts in our forum with a sheepish excuse to the members for them to ignore the posts, and then I'd delete them when my tests were completed.

After 10 years of using YaBB, I'm feeling like a newbie all over again!  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 6:14am
Post Tools
I've had whole threads labeled 'Test - Ignore' to which people still posted comments like 'You sure do like tests.'  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 6:26am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 6:14am:
I've had whole threads labeled 'Test - Ignore' to which people still posted comments like 'You sure do like tests.'  Wink

I know that feeling.  Smiley

I just realized that for years I've been using my own version of Mark & Quote for the main pages of our site.

In other words, when I'm updating our site's main page, I go to a preview post in our forum for that update, I highlight the portions of the post I want to reference, and then I paste that copy directly into our main page's htm file as plain text.

Smilies in our forum such as  Wink for a wink come up as "wink" and out of a rote deftness I copy and paste the actual location of said smilie to make it magically appear with the help of proper HTML language (again, by doing this out of rote deftness).

I can only imagine a room full of YaBB coders ... hundreds and hundreds of them ... all hunched over their keyboards typing up many lines of text with rote deftness, and then after yet another cup of coffee realizing that somewhere in the 210 lines of text they had deftly put together in the last 20 minutes or so, at least one of their typed characters, pasted or otherwise originally inserted, just had to be a mistake.

So after chucking their newest laptop ... only 3 days old ... through the closest window  ... already broken by yet another new laptop of a neighboring coder ... they requisition their newest laptop with the hope that it will be used for more than a week this next time around.

In preparation, hundreds of yet requisitioned laptops remain for other coders to throw through that same window, which I might add has smartly been left in disrepair for many months.

Now, back to our regular programming.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:28pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 6:53am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 6:14am:
I've had whole threads labeled 'Test - Ignore' to which people still posted comments like 'You sure do like tests.'  Wink

I have a test section in my "Recycle Area" Category that holds my Recycle Bin and Announcements Boards. Only I have access to it Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:02pm
Post Tools
I suspect my people actually like watching the tests - I was testing some code clean-up on Poll.pl and got the comment back - 'We have Polls? Where? Can I have one?'  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Mark & Quote feature
Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:51pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 5:05am:

Ah, right. I hadn't noticed this about the formatting; just the smilies.

While posting another reply in this forum, I once again tried the "Mark & Quote" feature to find out that bold didn't carry over. But then, I guess that makes sense because it's basically a copy and paste function. I hadn't thought about that before.

On a similar note, I'm also reminded that I've happily been able to use the copy and paste function of my mouse to copy a forum post, and paste it into an email exactly as it's supposed to look; just as it looks in the forum. That's come in handy many times.

Just thinking aloud, I've always been impressed with how YaBB is able to do all that it does for us users in terms of providing a really great way to maintain, and enjoy an online community.

With interest over the years, I've noticed that some sites have nothing more than their forum. For me personally, I think that could be a great way to operate a site.

My thinking is that I could hand over operations of my most active site to an intern or some staffer who could easily maintain it through our forum during those times when a project demands my full attention.

That is, if I can get my butt out of the pool, out of the home office, and out in the world again.  Roll Eyes

Edited:
Edited to correct the subject line.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:52pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo