Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stability Questions? (Read 7,404 times)
Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Stability Questions?
Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:16am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 6:16pm:
I still don't understand why it is that this forum continues to showcase its software with so many bugs.  Roll Eyes

It would mean going back to YaBB 2.5AE version, Bill. 

I have 2.5AE as my forum now and it seems to run fairly well.  If there are bugs they are not worrying me.

I am not sure on peoples thoughts on that, or if it is even possible to go back to 2.5AE.

Might be possible or is it worth exploring???

A question to all I suggest.

Derek

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Stability Questions?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 8:19am
Post Tools
Quote:
It would mean going back to YaBB 2.5AE version, Bill.

I was thinking this forum might be better off going back to the YaBB 2.4 version as others have suggested elsewhere. However, if the 2.5AE version is relatively free of bugs, then sure, that would be even better. Surely, any bugs in 2.5AE could be fixed since I presume there are only a few.

The thing is, until this forum goes back to using a stable version, or the bugs are worked out of YaBB's Next Edition in a timely fashion, the operation of this forum will continue to be an embarrassment. I simply don't understand why nothing's being done about this. It baffles the mind.

Seriously! How long is this forum going to continue to operate this way? Roll Eyes

Quote:
I agree that the default in pale blues should be the way to go.  Most people change the css anyway to their individual tastes and themes.

My site is an example.

Your forum is easy to read, and it's wonderfully integrated with your site, too. It's as if it's one and the same, which is ideal. But some forums I've seen are really difficult to read because of the contrasting colors that have been chosen.

While I no longer favor using CAPTCHA verification codes because they are now so easily defeated, yours can be read on your registration page without a problem. A lot of forums have verification codes with so much "noise" going on that they're almost impossible to read.

As for the question you ask in your forum to register, Australians should be able to answer it easily. Other forums ask incredibly difficult questions that drastically limit the number of people who can register (some by design I'm sure).

Edited:
Okay, so you ask more than one question ... didn't notice right away ... but still, locals should know the answers without much of a problem.

Even in the worst of times for YaBB, I've always felt that the glass has been half full. It's even more full now with better moderation, and renewed energy about YaBB's development. Now if YaBB can only fix this forum to operate the way that it deserves, the glass will be a lot closer to being full.

After that? Time will tell.  Wink

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 8:38am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:33pm
Post Tools
Bill -

As the Administrator here, I am unaware of 'any' instability in Next Edition as deployed here occurring since we moved off SourceForge's servers.  The issues from that 'timeframe/period' were due to server configuration and locking problems (NFS related).  If you are currently experiencing stability problems, please let me know what they are by posting them to the YaBB Next Edition Bugs Board so we can see if we can replicate them.  

As far as 'so many bugs' - if you know of ANY that are not reported in the Next Edition Bugs topics, please post them also.

Thanks very much for your help.
Cool
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:41pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:44pm
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Think Tank [move by] JonB.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 5:07pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:33pm:
Bill -

As the Administrator here, I am unaware of 'any' instability in Next Edition as deployed here occurring since we moved off SourceForge's servers.

As far as 'so many bugs' - if you know of ANY that are not reported in the Next Edition Bugs topics, please post them also.

Thanks very much for your help.
Cool

Jon, thanks for addressing this. I really appreciate it.  Smiley

I'll start off with one issue that's been going on since at least the beginning of the year, but ... it has nothing to do with YaBB's Next Edition, which I might add otherwise looks great (minus the current problems, which I'm guessing should be easy enough to fix).

The rendering of this page in Codex while using Firefox (affecting many other pages of course), needs to be fixed. Thankfully, at least in Internet Explorer, one doesn't need to scroll across the page to read it.

For a quick reminder about how to fix this, all that's needed is to correctly link the language icons, and the page will render just fine (I've already tested it locally). Corey was going to take care of this a few months ago after he came back from vacation, but I guess he forgot.

As for this particular forum, again, I'm guessing that the problems can be fixed pretty easily, no? As I understand it, the problems I'm aware of are not bugs; just some linking issues - whatever you call it.

I'll give you an example (ironically, this topic is actually working fine):

1. On the main page of this forum, click "Talk It Up!" under "Discussions and Chat".

2. Click "The Smart Way To Get Support".

3. Just under the main menu near the top, click the "Talk It Up!" link, and you'll find that it takes you to this forum's main page; not the correct sub board as I guess YaBB's calling it.

This is what commonly happens throughout the forum.  Sad

As for YaBB's Next Edition software, I may have misspoken in terms of what to call this particular problem, because I wouldn't say it's an instability; probably just a relatively minor linking problem that can be fixed.

I believe there are other "problems" as well because other people have reported them ever since this version of YaBB was installed.

In any case, it's not the problems that matter so much as it is the lack of doing anything about them when they're reported.

More importantly in terms of perception, the public shouldn't have to see this kind of a problem, or any others really, in YaBB's showcase forum. The perception is that YaBB's software is bad, YaBB's management isn't paying attention, or both. That's not good.

Thankfully, as others have stated elsewhere about how this forum is being managed, all it really takes is some attention to what's being reported, and real action to resolve whatever's wrong.

So thanks for taking a look. That's an important first step.  Wink

Regarding any bugs that get reported, that's above my pay grade, but ... my suggestion is to fix those bugs in a timely fashion in this forum at least so that what the public sees is a forum that runs smoothly.

If they see this forum operating well, how can they not want to use it?  Wink

Thanks again for looking into this.  Smiley

Edited:
Edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 5:10pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:48pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 5:07pm:
1. On the main page of this forum, click "Talk It Up!" under "Discussions and Chat".2. Click "The Smart Way To Get Support".3. Just under the main menu near the top, click the "Talk It Up!" link, and you'll find that it takes you to this forum's main page; not the correct sub board as I guess YaBB's calling it.

Hi Bill find the bug post for this here http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1339597950 ; Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:00pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:48pm:
Hi Bill find the bug post for this here http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1339597950  Wink

Thanks! I knew that discussion had officially been started somewhere in this forum.

I'm guessing Jon didn't see it there, and I had obviously forgotten about it.  Wink

So this is a bug, huh? In any case, it's been mentioned before a number of times in this forum as I recall (probably by me a few times), so hopefully this will be fixed in a timely fashion this time.
I'll keep my fingers crossed, and no, I'm not going to hold my breath.  Smiley

Edited:
Edited to add my own blunder, i.e., ", and I had obviously forgotten about it."
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:03pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Post Tools
Quote:
I'm guessing Jon didn't see it there

No Bill, JonB has notification turned on for this Board, so I didn't 'forget' anything. I was pointing out to you where bug reports go.

Quote:
I was thinking this forum might be better off going back to the YaBB 2.4 version as others have suggested elsewhere. However, if the 2.5AE version is relatively free of bugs, then sure, that would be even better. Surely, any bugs in 2.5AE could be fixed since I presume there are only a few.

The thing is, until this forum goes back to using a stable version, or the bugs are worked out of YaBB's Next Edition in a timely fashion, the operation of this forum will continue to be an embarrassment. I simply don't understand why nothing's being done about this. It baffles the mind.

Seriously! How long is this forum going to continue to operate this way?

Quote:
As for operations, I just wish this forum would go back to a stable version since I'm guessing there are too many bugs with the version that's being used to fix what's needed so that it can be used with pride.

I still don't understand why it is that this forum continues to showcase its software with so many bugs.

There is a huge gulf between stability problems and a minor bug. And I can no more fix bugs by myself than install an Anti-spam mod. - as it requires "source access". The ONLY bugs I am aware of are ones in this topic. AND none of them are a stability issue.  Stability issues are thing that affect the data or the functioning of the application, and we don't have any of those that are 'user-facing'.  Examples might be:
- you go to post, click 'submit' and nothing happens
- the first or last post in a topic 'disappears'
- the Forum 'puts itself' into Maintenance Mode
- Pages won't render correctly in a major browser

Quote:
The rendering of this page in Codex while using Firefox (affecting many other pages of course), needs to be fixed. Thankfully, at least in Internet Explorer, one doesn't need to scroll across the page to read it.

A. The Codex pages are not part of Next Edition -
B. It is a purely cosmetic problem.
C. "that" Codex is probably going away.
D. Send Corey an e-mail

OK?
Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 8:04pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 8:40pm
Post Tools
Forum works okay for me, codex is a good idea if it worked properly and was kept up to date.

Baby steps  Wink

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Post Tools
Edited:
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:22pm:
Hi Bill JonB maybe a administrator on the forum but what JonB does not have is root access to the server and at this time i only think it is Corey that has root access and JonB is trying his best but there is only so much you can do when you are limited as are we all.

depablo wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 8:40pm:
Forum works okay for me, codex is a good idea if it worked properly and was kept up to date.

Baby steps  Wink

I agree. But let's not forget that these baby steps have been in play for the last couple of years. What!?
It's time to stop using diapers.  Smiley

JonB wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:55pm:
No Bill, JonB has notification turned on for this Board, so I didn't 'forget' anything. I was pointing out to you where bug reports go.

My first thought is, what's the point of reporting bugs when nothing's being done about them? Huh

Or maybe more accurately, if something's being done about them, nothing's being fixed. Why? Huh

Seriously, up until very recently, thank you, anyone having visited this forum over the last year or two knows very well that this place has seen little or no improvement. Finally placing this forum on a reliable server after having seen it shuttered for 11 straight days wasn't an improvement; it was a necessity for its survival. This shouldn't be the benchmark for how this forum operates.

Why did that happen? Pure neglect. And don't think this hasn't been discussed elsewhere. It has. Particularly regarding this forum, YaBB's been a laughing stock. Good and otherwise supportive people have bailed.

People have blamed Corey for YaBB's problems, and while this may be true in terms of the bottom line ... after all, the buck stops with him ... in truth he's delegated the operation of YaBB to other people. That's what a good leader does. They delegate.

There is a huge gulf between stability problems and a minor bug. And I can no more fix bugs by myself than install an Anti-spam mod. - as it requires "source access".

And so we have the real problem.

On that note, I hope you understand my aggravation isn't being directed at you per se. It's just that you're the one with the target on your back because of the position you hold. Being YaBB's administrator has to mean more than just moderating the place, and swatting away spammers. Otherwise, this forum would have no real administrator.

Whomever is actually running this place is doing a sub-standard job of it. Again, one may naturally think that person is you. But I made that mistake before in presuming that you were the one holding YaBB back, that is, until I learned that your hands are tied in terms of actually improving this forum in a way that it deserves to be showcased.

So yes, I know your hands are tied, but for goodness sakes, please do something about it! Unless I'm wrong about this, and please correct me if I am so that we can engage whomever we need, you're the person who's in the best position to actually get things moving.

Seriously, who's in a better position than you are? Huh

Look at what you've recently done, and I applaud you for it. Why it took you so long I have no idea, but you finally added some moderators who were sorely needed. And of late, you've been wonderfully graceful about leading YaBB back to prominence. These are good things. Please continue with this progress to once and for all fix these ongoing problems. After all, as you most probably got it right, these are minor bugs.

You're telling me that the current leadership can't fix some minor bugs? Even just one? Please!  Roll Eyes

All of this otherwise unnecessary back and forth about the tiniest of problems begs the questions, who is actually running this place, and why aren't they doing anything to fix the problems that have been reported ad nauseam?

Again, you're certainly in a better position than I am in knowing what's really going on, so pray tell, give us the skinny, and let's put YaBB's relatively "minor" bugs behind us by contacting the correct person who can help.

To add a little levity here, can we have a little laugh about Keystone Cops, and then move on to show the world that such a comedy of errors isn't happening here despite appearances?

YaBB is better than what's happened here over the last couple of years. Let's please not get stuck in the mud of inaction again. Of late, things have been moving quite nicely, and I'd love to see this continue.

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:43pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:49pm
Post Tools
Send Corey an e-mail

OK?
Wink

I would, but is that really necessary? I'm not the administrator. You are.  Wink

Bottom line: Despite my personal frustrations about how this forum operates, I'm compelled to take the position that you take; that everything is actually fine even though there are minor things that need to be fixed.
Ergo, I just need to take a chill pill, and live with YaBB's blemishes.  Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:49pm:
Send Corey an e-mail

OK?
Wink

I would, but is that really necessary? I'm not the administrator. You are.  Wink

Bottom line: Despite my personal frustrations about how this forum operates, I'm compelled to take the position that you take; that everything is actually fine even though there are minor things that need to be fixed.
Ergo, I just need to take a chill pill, and live with YaBB's blemishes.  Smiley

Hi Bill JonB maybe a administrator on the forum but what JonB does not have is root access to the server and at this time i only think it is Corey that has root access and JonB is trying his best but there is only so much you can do when you are limited as are we all.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:36pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:22pm:

I need to remind myself that Jon doesn't have root access. Darned frustrating!

He's a better man than I am because to be perfectly blunt, I wouldn't continue on as an administrator if my instructions to fix things were being ignored.

Well, at least YaBB's moving in the right direction in other important ways. I'm happy about that. Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:53am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:36pm:
Well, at least YaBB's moving in the right direction in other important ways. I'm happy about that.

I agree. It is good to see things moving forward.

Ummm... But...

All this talk about the next addition and now, from what I have gathered over the past few weeks through posts on this forum, it seems that MySQL will not be implemented. I thought that was the way YaBB was heading.

This would allow YaBB to keep up with the competition, would it not?

Admins have moved away from YaBB due to their forums outgrowing the flatfile version. As for me, I think it will be a while, if ever, before my little forum outgrows it. (flatfile)

Im far from knowing all there is to know about designing these things but, wouldn't it make sense to concentrate on a MySQL version with the added features (sub-boards etc...) that was talked about for the next version?

Just another peon here thinking with words Grin

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:15am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:53am:
All this talk about the next addition and now, from what I have gathered over the past few weeks through posts on this forum, it seems that MySQL will not be implemented. I thought that was the way YaBB was heading.
Good news on that front as you can see below from the man himself.  Smiley

Corey Chapman wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:49pm:
This version has features such as sub boards, additional Ajax usage, an event calendar, popup post box displays, OpenID support, and partial MySQL implementation.  Basically much of what YaBB users have been asking for over the past several years - it's a reality.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools