Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stability Questions? (Read 6,592 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Stability Questions?
Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:27pm:
... the sooner we get a bug-fixed version of 2.5 out there, the better off YaBB will be.

That's been my thinking as well.  Smiley

Not to downplay all the bells and whistles of other forums that have basically copied the way YaBB operates, but I've installed a YaBB-inspired forum to test it out, and while there are many things to like about it, I find that YaBB is still my preference for a number of reasons that are important to me.

I've very happily been using YaBB for over 10 years now, and even though I'll moan and groan about this and that, I guess because I'm a perfectionist, the bottom line is that I've nonetheless always been more than satisfied with YaBB.

Smiley The skinny is that YaBB is simply a really great forum. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #22 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:27pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:50am:
what's the rush to get out a new flat file version? Wouldn't it make more sense to simply clean up the current stable 2.5AE verison, and let that be what everyone uses?

That's step 1. And the sooner we get a bug-fixed version of 2.5 out there, the better off YaBB will be.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #21 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:57am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 2:26am:
if it works out the way we all want it to it will be 2.6 and the code will be cleaner thanks to Dandello   Grin

I support that; very sensibleSmiley

As for future versions with MySQL; whatever; let's not rush it.  Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #20 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:50am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:28am:
As much as everyone wants to see an SQL version of YaBB, getting a good, stable, spam-resistant, flat-file version out there for people to use has to be a priority.

To a point, I'm in agreement with that. However ...

what's the rush to get out a new flat file version? Wouldn't it make more sense to simply clean up the current stable 2.5AE verison, and let that be what everyone uses?

If in fact a MySQL version of YaBB is the way to go, why not simply take the time to develop it even if that means it will be a while?

Let's not forget that a YaBB version using MySQL is already out there in the name of SMF, so we end users know it can be done. They borrowed from us. Maybe it's time we borrow from them. We just need to enlist the help of people who know how to program MySQL databases.

Open source people. Open source.  Smiley

I'm reminded of a reviewer of forums that gave high marks to a forum software developer for taking their time developing new versions, and only releasing them when they were truly stable. That versus releasing new versions simply because people expect it, i.e., releasing new versions that are buggy.

So please, I urge YaBB to do it right rather than rush to release a new version simply because it's been a while since the last stable version was released.

Ironically, I stayed with YaBB 2.4 because of "problems" with version 2.5AE that were widely reported. Perhaps this latest verion's bugs have been fixed, and is better than the version I use, which I might add probably has its own bugs that have never been fixed (although our forum seems to run just fine).

Edited:
Edited to correct some typos.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 7:01am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #19 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:28am
Post Tools
As much as everyone wants to see an SQL version of YaBB, getting a good, stable, spam-resistant, flat-file version out there for people to use has to be a priority. 

The one thing that most people seem to fail to realize is that moving to an SQL/mySQL type data architecture isn't a matter of simply putting the data structures that already exist into tables for mySQL. The entirety of how the data is organized has to be optimized to work well in this new environment. And that will take time and serious thought to implement.

For instance, the member information is spread over several files - the variables, personal messages, login info. How should that be organized - each member gets a table with everything stored in it? One table with all the information from all the vars files in one place? What is the best way of doing this?

This is just one instance - then we have the board structures, the messages themselves... and what about the language files?

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 2:26am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:27am:
I think "YaBB3" and "YaBB-Next" will be 2 different releases.I saw somewhere, that "YaBB-Next" will be something like a 2.5.2. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.--------------------------------On a different note, I just got warned that I have 3 more attempts and I will be banned as a spammer for speed posting.  Not sure why I got it, guess I hit "preview" too fast. Proof of YaBB's good security.

if it works out the way we all want it to it will be 2.6 and the code will be cleaner thanks to Dandello  Grin as for YaBB 3 i cant speek on it apart from its still Beta  Sad

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:48am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:42am:
I'm guessing the people helping to develop YaBB's next version will figure out a way to make it top notch.

I totally agree. Don't get me wrong. I'm not nocking anything or anyone. Just curious and was thinking aloud.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:42am
Post Tools
Well, whatever the case may be, I don't think a new version of YaBB will be released anytime soon. I'm guessing the people helping to develop YaBB's next version will figure out a way to make it top notch.

Meanwhile, the stable versions work quite well as you know.  Wink

As for any of us getting too big for YaBB to handle our size, I think for the most part this isn't much of an issue. But obviously it has been for some. Still, I shouldn't be dismissive about it as it needs to be an important consideration.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:27am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:15am:
Good news on that front as you can see below from the man himself.  

Corey Chapman wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:49pm:

This version has features such as sub boards, additional Ajax usage, an event calendar, popup post box displays, OpenID support, and partial MySQL implementation.  Basically much of what YaBB users have been asking for over the past several years - it's a reality.

I read that also a while back but, I think that was for YaBB3.

I think "YaBB3" and "YaBB-Next" will be 2 different releases.

I saw somewhere, that "YaBB-Next" will be something like a 2.5.2. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------------------
On a different note, I just got warned that I have 3 more attempts and I will be banned as a spammer for speed posting.  Grin
Not sure why I got it, guess I hit "preview" too fast. Sad
Proof of YaBB's good security.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:15am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:53am:
All this talk about the next addition and now, from what I have gathered over the past few weeks through posts on this forum, it seems that MySQL will not be implemented. I thought that was the way YaBB was heading.
Good news on that front as you can see below from the man himself.  Smiley

Corey Chapman wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:49pm:
This version has features such as sub boards, additional Ajax usage, an event calendar, popup post box displays, OpenID support, and partial MySQL implementation.  Basically much of what YaBB users have been asking for over the past several years - it's a reality.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:53am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:36pm:
Well, at least YaBB's moving in the right direction in other important ways. I'm happy about that.

I agree. It is good to see things moving forward.

Ummm... But...

All this talk about the next addition and now, from what I have gathered over the past few weeks through posts on this forum, it seems that MySQL will not be implemented. I thought that was the way YaBB was heading.

This would allow YaBB to keep up with the competition, would it not?

Admins have moved away from YaBB due to their forums outgrowing the flatfile version. As for me, I think it will be a while, if ever, before my little forum outgrows it. (flatfile)

Im far from knowing all there is to know about designing these things but, wouldn't it make sense to concentrate on a MySQL version with the added features (sub-boards etc...) that was talked about for the next version?

Just another peon here thinking with words Grin

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:36pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:22pm:
Hi Bill JonB maybe a administrator on the forum but what JonB does not have is root access to the server and at this time i only think it is Corey that has root access and JonB is trying his best but there is only so much you can do when you are limited as are we all.

I need to remind myself that Jon doesn't have root access. Darned frustrating!

He's a better man than I am because to be perfectly blunt, I wouldn't continue on as an administrator if my instructions to fix things were being ignored.

Well, at least YaBB's moving in the right direction in other important ways. I'm happy about that. Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:49pm:
JonB wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:55pm:
Send Corey an e-mail

OK?
Wink

I would, but is that really necessary? I'm not the administrator. You are.  Wink

Bottom line: Despite my personal frustrations about how this forum operates, I'm compelled to take the position that you take; that everything is actually fine even though there are minor things that need to be fixed.
Ergo, I just need to take a chill pill, and live with YaBB's blemishes.  Smiley

Hi Bill JonB maybe a administrator on the forum but what JonB does not have is root access to the server and at this time i only think it is Corey that has root access and JonB is trying his best but there is only so much you can do when you are limited as are we all.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:49pm
Post Tools
Send Corey an e-mail

OK?
Wink

I would, but is that really necessary? I'm not the administrator. You are.  Wink

Bottom line: Despite my personal frustrations about how this forum operates, I'm compelled to take the position that you take; that everything is actually fine even though there are minor things that need to be fixed.
Ergo, I just need to take a chill pill, and live with YaBB's blemishes.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Post Tools
Edited:
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:22pm:

depablo wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 8:40pm:
Forum works okay for me, codex is a good idea if it worked properly and was kept up to date.

Baby steps  Wink

I agree. But let's not forget that these baby steps have been in play for the last couple of years. What!?
It's time to stop using diapers.  Smiley

No Bill, JonB has notification turned on for this Board, so I didn't 'forget' anything. I was pointing out to you where bug reports go.

My first thought is, what's the point of reporting bugs when nothing's being done about them? Huh

Or maybe more accurately, if something's being done about them, nothing's being fixed. Why? Huh

Seriously, up until very recently, thank you, anyone having visited this forum over the last year or two knows very well that this place has seen little or no improvement. Finally placing this forum on a reliable server after having seen it shuttered for 11 straight days wasn't an improvement; it was a necessity for its survival. This shouldn't be the benchmark for how this forum operates.

Why did that happen? Pure neglect. And don't think this hasn't been discussed elsewhere. It has. Particularly regarding this forum, YaBB's been a laughing stock. Good and otherwise supportive people have bailed.

People have blamed Corey for YaBB's problems, and while this may be true in terms of the bottom line ... after all, the buck stops with him ... in truth he's delegated the operation of YaBB to other people. That's what a good leader does. They delegate.

There is a huge gulf between stability problems and a minor bug. And I can no more fix bugs by myself than install an Anti-spam mod. - as it requires "source access".

And so we have the real problem.

On that note, I hope you understand my aggravation isn't being directed at you per se. It's just that you're the one with the target on your back because of the position you hold. Being YaBB's administrator has to mean more than just moderating the place, and swatting away spammers. Otherwise, this forum would have no real administrator.

Whomever is actually running this place is doing a sub-standard job of it. Again, one may naturally think that person is you. But I made that mistake before in presuming that you were the one holding YaBB back, that is, until I learned that your hands are tied in terms of actually improving this forum in a way that it deserves to be showcased.

So yes, I know your hands are tied, but for goodness sakes, please do something about it! Unless I'm wrong about this, and please correct me if I am so that we can engage whomever we need, you're the person who's in the best position to actually get things moving.

Seriously, who's in a better position than you are? Huh

Look at what you've recently done, and I applaud you for it. Why it took you so long I have no idea, but you finally added some moderators who were sorely needed. And of late, you've been wonderfully graceful about leading YaBB back to prominence. These are good things. Please continue with this progress to once and for all fix these ongoing problems. After all, as you most probably got it right, these are minor bugs.

You're telling me that the current leadership can't fix some minor bugs? Even just one? Please!  Roll Eyes

All of this otherwise unnecessary back and forth about the tiniest of problems begs the questions, who is actually running this place, and why aren't they doing anything to fix the problems that have been reported ad nauseam?

Again, you're certainly in a better position than I am in knowing what's really going on, so pray tell, give us the skinny, and let's put YaBB's relatively "minor" bugs behind us by contacting the correct person who can help.

To add a little levity here, can we have a little laugh about Keystone Cops, and then move on to show the world that such a comedy of errors isn't happening here despite appearances?

YaBB is better than what's happened here over the last couple of years. Let's please not get stuck in the mud of inaction again. Of late, things have been moving quite nicely, and I'd love to see this continue.

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:43pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top