Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic unable to open /members/admin.vars (Read 1,985 times)
kenny Osoba
YaBB Newcomer

None
unable to open /members/admin.vars
Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:04pm
Post Tools
Please i need help urgently as i have a deadline to meet.
I successfully uploaded and installed the Yabb 2.5 AE forum. i logged into the forum, changed passwords and many other things, i also removed the "still in maintenance mode message" in the maintenance area. However on trying to open the forum page this morning its opening the page giving me the error; UNABLE TO OPEN /MEMBERS/ADMIN/VARS; READ-ONLY FILE SYSTEM.
Hoping to get some help out here. thanks

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: unable to open /members/admin.vars
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:02pm
Post Tools
Have you FTP access and rechecked Chmod settings?

Open admin vars and check if it contains data.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:24pm
Post Tools
The path in the warning should read: /Members/admin.vars - so you want to check your file paths in Paths.pl.

The server warning indicates the permissions on the data directories (Members, Variables, Messages) are not set to 755 and the files to 644. Some systems require the data files be set to 666.

Since things were working properly before and this issue literally happened overnight - I suspect your host did something clever like reset your file permissions.
Edited:
You should try to access it via FTP and check.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:28pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:24pm:
The server warning indicates the permissions on the data directories (Members, Variables, Messages) are not set to 755 and the files to 644. Some systems require the data files be set to 666.

Since things were working properly before and this issue literally happened overnight - I suspect your host did something clever like reset your file permissions.
Edited:
You should try to access it via FTP and check.

I can confirm that hosts can, and do reset file permissions from time to time. Our file permissions in our members folder were changed from 666 to 644, but thankfully with few exceptions, all of the files still worked just fine.

But later on because YaBB recommends it, I changed all of those files back to their original settings so that all of them could function with the recommended 666 permissions.

The path in the warning should read: /Members/admin.vars - so you want to check your file paths in Paths.pl.

Excellent observation! For some reason our Paths.pl file changed the path when I upgraded our forum to a newer version, but I had been prepared for it, so I had already changed it back before taking it out of maintenance mode.

Good luck!

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Post Tools
I suspect your host did something clever like reset your file permissions.

I guess I have been lucky, as this has never happened to me by my hosting company... Yet. Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:41pm
Post Tools
I had one hosting company that would randomly change permissions on cgi-bin directories and randomly change the 'ownership' of directories so they couldn't be accessed via FTP. Then I'd complain and they'd fix it only to break it again a week later.

Needless to say, I changed hosting services.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools