Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Giving support the wrong way ... (Read 257 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Giving support the wrong way ...
Jul 30th, 2012 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
For as long as this post is allowed to stay online, this is a public notice from me to the YaBB community at large that I've once again been threatened with a "probation/notice" for the way that I've been helping people who've asked for help.

I kid you not. I've been criticized for the way I've been helping people. Go figure!  Roll Eyes

Coincidentally, and ironically considering what's happened yet again, I did not prompt the following post that I read today:

Mudaber Qureshi wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:24pm:
Bill Myers your reply was best and relevant to my problem Specially thanks to you

Just saying.  Smiley

As a good number of you may have already guessed, yes, once again this has come from JonB. However, according to him, the current moderators he has concurs with his low opinion of the way I've been offering my help to those in need, and in fact, they've apparently asked him to do something about it.

As such, I've taken JonB for his word, so I've presumed that he's telling the truth even though none of the moderators have told me directly that they were having a problem with my posts.

I haven't posted this message here to garner more support, as I've already very proudly gotten a lot of support from a good number of you via email due to the nature of how people are sometimes "afraid" to make their feelings known online.

By the way, to those of you who have offered constructive criticism, I thank you for that as well.  Wink

Thankfully for me personally, I'm not afraid of being truthful in expressing my opinion about what goes on with YaBB even though I may very well lose my voice here because I've rubbed at least one person the wrong way (and evidently more people according to JonB).

Considering the circumstances, not because I've been threatened with a banning of my account, I will ease up on helping anyone else out in this forum. At the same time, as long as I'm able to read what goes on, I will continue to offer my help privately. I may also choose to offer this help via other support forums for YaBB as well.

As any of you in my position might imagine you'd feel, I'm hurt by what's happened. At the same time, if in fact I'm not welcomed here in this forum because I'm doing more harm than good, then of course I'll voluntarily stop my participation.

I'm truly sorry if I've harmed YaBB in any way. That certainly hasn't been my intention.

Edited:
To those of you who have subsequently sent me emails of support, thanks. That was fast! But please remember not to engage publicly about this since any public support from you may adversely affect you. I don't want that to happen.

So please don't sweat it if JonB ends up banning me. After all, this is where things are going since he's evidently building up notifications in my file to warrant a ban.

If worse comes to worse, I can let Corey know what's going on so that a cooler head can deal with it. After all, there's really no valid reason to ban me. I might add that this has happened to me before by a moderator who was subsequently booted from YaBB.

Just sayingWink

Worst case scenario? I'll be permanently banned, and that will be that. No problem. I can always offer support in other ways, so it'll all be good no matter what happens.

See what can happen when you try to do good?  Roll Eyes  Lips Sealed

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:09pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Giving support the wrong way ...
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:33pm
Post Tools
Hi Bill

I asked JonB if he would request you cut down on the quotes and length of posts. We chatted about this before and if I remember right you apologised to myself.

They do cause confusion as you have to work out who said what and what has been done.

Your a valued member of this community and have similar feelings like myself regarding spam, hopefully now their are moderators on board we can delete these before they cause to much trouble.

This is basically a support forum and we all attempt to provide answers, I have got it wrong in the past and now only answer if I know it has worked for me in the past. I am here to delete spam and answer basic questions, short posts is all you require to reach a solution.

As for your comment about Captain John, one must remember he too was under pressure and maybe frustration set in? However due to your additional edits someone may decide to move this sometime soon.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Giving support the wrong way ...
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:48pm
Post Tools
Moderated By Derek ----------- restored by JonB 31/07/201 2140

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Thank you Jon!
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:12pm
Post Tools
First of all to Jon, thank you for restoring this topic. I appreciate the gesture. Smiley

I've already answered this for a number of you in email, but for anyone else who might have wondered, and to set the record straight, I'm pretty sure Jon did not delete this topic.

Another moderator told me that he deleted it (the same guy who told me he'd continue to delete my posts, apparently because he had decided that I was breaking the rules).

Mind you, he deleted a few of my posts, one of which was a simple "You're welcome" post I had made for someone who had thanked me for helping him.

As this has already been discussed in numerous emails about what Jon had done, that he had very obviously deleted other posts of mine, a clarification about it might help. That is, more accurately as I think he may have more or less explained it here in the forum somewhere, he simply moved what I call my deleted posts to an area that isn't accessible to the public.

I know, it's the same as deleting my posts.  Roll Eyes

In any case, to be fair to Jon since I've given him a hard time about what's really going on here in this forum, i.e., basically blaming him for how poorly it's being operated, my gut about him is that he's really just trying to moderate the forum, i.e., he's presumably doing his best to make this place better.

From my perspective, making the effort is worth an A.  Smiley

depablo wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:33pm:
Hi Bill

I asked JonB if he would request you cut down on the quotes and length of posts. We chatted about this before and if I remember right you apologised to myself.

Sorry, but my initial reply to you was deleted. Just know that I basically agreed with you in the big picture of what you were telling me, but then, you already knew that because we had discussed it privately with my apology included.

In that reply of mine that had been deleted, I also thanked you for bringing up this topic publicly, which is what I had hoped for all along.

For the record, I never mentioned a particular moderator by name, although of course it's pretty widely known who that moderator was.

In any case, depablo had been kind enough to send me a private message to let me know his concerns about the way I post, etc., and for the most part I ended up agreeing with him.

But on the note of how I've helped people, i.e., complaining about the way I've given my help, I still think that's a very petty thing to do. What I know for certain is that people have thanked me for the help I've given, and that's what counts.

Ironically, since an issue has been made of it, sometimes offering help even when one doesn't know the answers will more often than not stir up the minds of the people involved, and that's always a good thing.

Another irony, go figure, is that it's not uncommon for a typical user like myself to come up with solutions to problems that stymie so-called "experts".

Bottom line: No matter what it takes to come up with a solution, and maybe it's just a healthy discussion about it between caring minds, what matters most is coming up with real solutions that actually help people out.

How can anyone feel badly about that? Wink

So can those of you who want to be critical about the way I post just concern yourselves with your own posts, and let the public at large choose to read what they want?

I heeded the constructive criticism given to me, and if for some stupid reason I don't conform to the way you want me to post, then feel good about knowing my posts will be passed over, and that will be that.

Scrolling can be a wonderful tool when it's effectively used.  Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo