Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
 10 Members showing as Ex Members (Read 3,532 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Members showing as Ex Members
Reply #15 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 9:03pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:46pm:
I'm not a moderator so I can't move things - but I'll make sure it gets noted in the bugs section.As I indicated, I've never upgraded a forum from 1x.

sorry Dandello dont ask me why but when i posted that i was thinking you was a Developer and not a Jr. Developer prob my busy day  Roll Eyes well it's my excuse and i'm sticking to it  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:50pm
Post Tools

Quote:
There's also the possibility of the vars files getting corrupted or set to 0 length - which does sometimes happen if there's a problem writing to the files in .Members/ (usually a space issue.)

There's another point I can totally agree on.

When you are upgrading, you are often using two or three times your regular disk-space requirements. Plus its processor intensive. The hosting company should be asked if the account is logging errors or causing resets on the server.

Good Luck to all
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:46pm
Post Tools
I'm not a moderator so I can't move things - but I'll make sure it gets noted in the bugs section.

As I indicated, I've never upgraded a forum from 1x. But I did remember there being a problem with fixfiles.pl.

There's also the possibility of the vars files getting corrupted or set to 0 length - which does sometimes happen if there's a problem writing to the files in .Members/ (usually a space issue.)

Sorry I can't be more helpful today but my brain is still in meme inheritance mode.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:00pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:22pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:19pm:
Its already currently in the bugfix Roadmap, Xnoddyx - but noting it in the bugs is a good idea. Its broke on 2.4 as well.

yes i had seen it meny times then when i was looking for it this time i didn't see it lol screen boggle eyes  Cheesy but went back and fond it  Roll Eyes@me lol

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:21pm
Post Tools
Interesting. I'm learning more and more about this stuff.

I did forget to mention the obvious. That's to say, pretty much with any forum software, there needs to be a gradual upgrade from one version to the next, i.e., not a full on upgrade from the oldest version to the newest.

I've seen instructions about this in various other forum software support groups.

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:27pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:19pm
Post Tools
Xnoddyx is correct - that bug affect Board Totals on the converted forum.  The new forum will not have post/topic counts.

Its already currently in the bugfix Roadmap, Xnoddyx - but noting it in the bugs is a good idea. Its broke on 2.4 as well.

Thanks to all

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:15pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:21pm:
There's an under-reported glitch with moving straight from v1 to 2.5.
In theory (as I have never needed to use this.) Install YaBB 2.3.1 and run that version of fixfile.pl on the v1 members directory. Then copy the newly converted files into your 2.5 members directory.

Hi Dandello the glitch with moving straight from v1xx to 2.5 the 3 i have upgraded and did test v1xx to 2.5 on all 3 this bug diden't affected members it was board index counts it just seem to lock them to 0 no matter what i did and the only way i fixed it was to on a y1gsp1.3.1 if i remember Properly was to upgrade it to 2.1 then 2.5 as for the Ex Members i had with them same as my #2 post
when i have more time i will re-run this for testing as i still have a y1gsp1.3.1 to test with and document it for you from 1xx to 2.5 and then 1xx to 2.1 then 2.5 and also same for my #2 post
Dandello after you see this can you move it to the bugs part  Smiley

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:04pm
Post Tools
Biffa wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 4:32pm:
I'm working on a duplicate copy at the moment (the v1 is still "live") so no worries about causing problems with the members directory - I'll just download another.

I'll let you know how I get on

That's what I did when I went straight from version 1 to the 2.4 forum we currently operate (version 2.5 evidently works differently), I kept our v1 live.

The skinny of it is that I had two copies of our forum going, the live v1 that was operational, and the new 2.4 that hadn't been made public.

After copying the members directory, and all of the messages over to the new forum, and testing it to make sure that it worked as it should, I shuttered the v1 forum in favor of the new 2.4 forum. At most, we were only in maintenance mode for a few short minutes.

Good luck! I think you'll greatly appreciate the difference.  Cool

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Biffa
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 4:32pm
Post Tools
Dandello - thanks for this. It is indeed a direct v1-v2.5 upgrade, so you may well have hit the nail on the head  Cool

I'm working on a duplicate copy at the moment (the v1 is still "live") so no worries about causing problems with the members directory - I'll just download another.

I'll let you know how I get on

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:21pm
Post Tools
Um - this was an upgrade from v1?  There's an under-reported glitch with moving straight from v1 to 2.5. (I hope you have a copy of your original members directory.)  Embarrassed

In theory (as I have never needed to use this.) Install YaBB 2.3.1 and run that version of fixfile.pl on the v1 members directory. Then copy the newly converted files into your 2.5 members directory.

Always remember to do backups before trying anything like this.

We're hoping to get this problem with fixfile taken care of when we get the next version of YaBB out.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Biffa
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:29pm
Post Tools
Guys - many thanks for the help so far, but I haven't cracked it yet!

The forum date is set to the original (Jan 2001); all of the members appear in both the memberlist.txt and members dir. I've also rebuilt the members list and recounted the membership, but no change.

I've just spotted another oddity - some of the members are showing as both members and ex-members! (for example, there's a topic started by "Patsy", with the last post by "Patsy ex-member")

Any other suggestions greatfully received ...

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:06am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:23pm:
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:41pm:
Hi Biffa this can also happen when YaBB members are in the members dir but not in the memberlist.txt and when you ...

This is actually very helpful for me as well. Thanks!  Smiley

that's ok i was scraching my head for two days wondering why the upgraded 2.5 forum had almost half of the members as Ex Members but on the old one there where no Ex Members then i seen it  Roll Eyes

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:23pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:41pm:
Hi Biffa this can also happen when YaBB members are in the members dir but not in the memberlist.txt and when you ...

This is actually very helpful for me as well. Thanks!  Smiley

WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:19pm:
Admin>> Forum Settings>> General tab,
Try changing forum start date to what the original forum start date was.

This is the way I've solved this same problem, but if I recall, rebuilding the members list finalized what I needed to do.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:41pm
Post Tools
Biffa wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:20pm:
Hi,

I've just inherited a v1 forum which I intend to upgrade. I've done a fresh install of v2.5 as a test just to check it all out and - yay - I've managed to import everything from the existing forum.

I only have one problem - in the "started by" column of the topics, some (but not all) members have the statement "Ex Member" next to their names. These people all exist in the Admin Member list and they are all active members on the V1 forum. One of these "ex members" signed in to the test forum using her existing account details without any problem. She created a new topic and also added to existing ones - all with no problems. The new topic she created shows her user ID as "Anne" (there's no Ex Member next to it).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might have done/need to do to get all my members showing as, erm, members?!

Many thanks

Hi Biffa this can also happen when YaBB members are in the members dir but not in the memberlist.txt and when you do Upgrading from YaBB 1xx to 2xx it will only copy and update members that are in the Convert/Members/memberlist.txt any members not in the memberlist.txt it will not copy and update as i found this out when helping with Upgrading this YaBB 1 gold sp3 to YaBB 2.5 http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1338889283

so on the 1xx if you look in /yabb/Members and see if the amount of files are more than the forums total of ??? registered members if you do have more  files than registered members then you can run the "Rebuild Members List" in the admin center this can also take some time to do if you have many members and you will need the forum in Maintenance Mode for this as well also it is good to have a safe backup copy of the forum be for you start  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:19pm
Post Tools
Admin>> Forum Settings>> General tab,
Try changing forum start date to what the origional forum start date was.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:23pm by WestwegoMan »  
<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top