Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Ran another one off (Read 2,036 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Ran another one off
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:29am
Post Tools
Now this is more like it, a healthy discussion to sort things out. I'm very relieved by this, and I hope it continues.

On a personal note, I've taken the constructive criticism I've received to improve upon the way that I post, so I hope that results in cleaner discussions about whatever issues YaBB's community at large chooses to discuss.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:02pm
Post Tools
With regard 'The Boy's" last comment:

That is likely the future of this topic, provided that those posters on this thread agree.

I will soon have a long-term fix for this that won't infringe on people's right to make 'reasonable comments or criticisms'.

I have also temporarily changed the time Limit on deleting posts.  I highly recommend posters on this topic take advantage of that option, making it unnecessary for me to engage in active moderation.

Then we can get back on with things other than raising JonB's stress level.

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:49pm
Post Tools
Bill mentions human nature. I think another negative side of human nature, especially when not conversing face to face, is if people don't feel they have got their point across properly, frustration creeps in, and they keep banging on about the same thing until (in their mind) everyone agrees with their point of view.

The typed words, even with correct use of emicons, lacks the body language and facial expression, so important in communication, of face-to-face discussion.

I like to think my own (ex) YaBB site is welcoming and friendly to all, but we occasionally have flare-ups where people have simply misunderstood/misread a post.

In a nutshell, *everyone* has to sometimes take a step back, and try to consider other viewpoints, and reasoning, rather than being a keyboard warrior.

In this thread specifically, clearly there is some history between the OP and one or more (past or current) members of the Moderation Team.  I think thats best taken offline, and discussed like grown-ups between those involved. As this is absolutely poisonous to YaBB  Cry

No critism intended to OP or Moderation Team or anyone else. Being critical towards any individual(s) is not my intention, just IMHO, some heads could do with banging together.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Human nature - Re: Ran another one off
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 11:22pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 10:13pm:
i won't say much just i think it got overheated more than it should have  Sad

It's just our human nature, that's all.

On a related note, I think it's helpful to be reminded that there are important differences between how a private forum is operated versus how a public forum should be operated.

Almost all forums are of course private.

In a private forum, there are simply no rules other than what a respective admin decides.

In a public forum, simply put, an admin should have the skills to instinctively know that higher standards are to be expected, respected, and realized.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 10:13pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 3:16am:
I know that things are in order to bring YaBB to the next level and for that I am happy. I would love to see this project move forward but this forum can not be run as a dictatorship. Anyone should be allowed to voice their opinion, ofcourse within reason.

i won't say much just i think it got overheated more than it should have  Sad

WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 3:16am:
Oh no. I have possibly referred that someone may be a Lil Hitler. Boy, am I in trouble now?!?!   

lol i norm post this as fun info but this is just to the "Lil Hitler. Boy" remark and is only for a laugh no offense intended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIyr5TXqe8Y

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:30pm
Post Tools
The Boy wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:12pm:
Not sure any of this is helpful to YaBB, TBH  Cry

Open bickering isn't helpful. Again, IMHO.

I agree, and I think this was probably behind what happened to me, and what's happened to others who have either been banned, or left YaBB entirely.

Especially from the point of view of an admin or a moderator, if they feel challenged, the human nature part of them will fight back, and even be offensive about it, and vice-versa of course.

When it comes down to it, bickering is never really a problem when one side or the other stops their aggressive behavior. All an admin or moderator really needs to do is to keep their cool, address whatever problems have been presented, and come up with solutions that resolve those problems.

Think about it. When there are no problems to report, it's all good.  Wink

By the way, transparency and an open dialogue is always good.  Smiley

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:12pm
Post Tools
Not sure any of this is helpful to YaBB, TBH  Cry

I would say, although I have been openly critical of 'YaBB' in the past, I have never been told to cease and desist  Shocked. Thus I'm sure there is more to this than I have seen.

I do feel that the OP and the Admins here probably need a chat (if thats not already properly happened), and a decision made by both parties as to a future.

Open bickering isn't helpful. Again, IMHO.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:36am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:02am:

I hadn't known this.

I don't want to make too long of a post about what I think may have happened, so I'll try to keep it relatively short.

I do know that Derek was crazily deleting every post I was making when he and I were online together last night, even the most innocent of posts.

In the timeline of things, as I learned from a friend, one of the next things that happened was Carsten publicly stating about this forum, "Now they've gone on from strict moderation to actual censorship." - His full text is here.

I suspect that all Derek was doing, wrongly of course, was following Jon's mandate. If true, I would have quit as a moderator right then and there.

As Derek stated to me directly, "This is to let you know that the Moderation Team will be removing any of your posts that are considered to be criticism of the actions and decisions by the Administration and Moderating Team of this forum."

"You are asked to desist from any further criticism in the public forum."

Mind you, none of this is included in what I feel is Jon's draconian moderation policy. Very obviously, and as Carsten so accurately put it, YaBB has gone on from strict moderation to actual censorship.

Glass half full possibility: My hope is that Jon has realized he's gone too far, and that he's trying to be responsible by taking direct actions to reverse what is arguably a terrible way to conduct this forum's business.

But remember as it's been said, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Let's see what happens.

Stating the obvious: At least currently, YaBB's censorship has stopped. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to read this post. Let's feel good about that.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:34pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:20pm:
Somebody has gone and ran Derek Bullock off now.

I think Derek's still around. I got a PM from him yesterday close to an hour before he last logged off, and his account appears to be active. So he'll probably be back soon enough.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Ran another one off
Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:20pm
Post Tools
Somebody has gone and ran Derek Bullock off now.

Carsten yesterday, Derek today.

WTH is going on round here?!?

Geesh!

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top