Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unable to open ./Messages/13223445.txt (Read 4,470 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Unable to open ./Messages/13223445.txt
Reply #32 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
X-Man Wolvie wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:23pm:
told you it was unedumacated  Shocked

yes, that's what I thought too, but in reality, at least in my case, that's not what is happening. i'll check with my ISP though to be sure.

just recently we had a YaBB admin user on a host that had
Quote:
CHMOD is prefixed locked and must say this is the first host i have seen do this

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1342125420/45#46

so if you cant seem to CHMOD any files ask your host if it has prefixed locked all or some of your CHMOD 's also it may be that the root account is not the same as the user on the ftp account and may have different user permissions
just a hunch i have  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #31 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:23pm
Post Tools
told you it was unedumacated  Shocked

yes, that's what I thought too, but in reality, at least in my case, that's not what is happening. i'll check with my ISP though to be sure.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #30 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:07pm
Post Tools
X-Man Wolvie wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:40pm:
FTP program not recognizing or setting file perms during the transfer. It doesn't make sense that some files are okay and others are not unless their is an issue with the FTP program or the transfer protocols -- that my uneducated guess.

Hi X-Man Wolvie ftp programs on first upload do not set CHMOD,s it is the host that sets the CHMOD,s for new files only after upload can you set the CHMOD,s of the new files different hosts have different CHMOD,s defaults although most good hosts will have spent time on what CHMOD,s are best for some web apps and bad hosts will make this as difficult as they can for you as the more time you spend on the phone to support the more cash they make hope this helps  Smiley

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #29 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 2:55pm
Post Tools
I get a lot of those on my testbed. In my case, the file is actually not there and Google is bound and determined to find it anyway. But in other cases, the file may have gotten corrupted or the permissions changed on it.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

X-Man Wolvie
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #28 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 1:40pm
Post Tools
I had the same problem when I upgraded to the latest YABB version.

Instead of CHMOD the entire directory, I changed the perms to the file that was in question.  I think the issue is with the FTP program not recognizing or setting file perms during the transfer. It doesn't make sense that some files are okay and others are not unless their is an issue with the FTP program or the transfer protocols -- that my uneducated guess.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #27 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:34am
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:31pm:
Can I say it would be a LOT bigger if I didn't have server problems ...

I feel your pain. Been there; done that.

Hang in there, enjoy your forum, and may your site's success continue.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #26 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:53pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:22pm:
Quote:
cool just glad that we can help and you might want to make a test forum on the server and test the chmod on that

mmmm .. good idea .. I must look at how to do that

cgi-bin/testyabb and /yabbtest if it's ok with you i can as i have your ftp info set a test forum up for you ?

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

simviator

Reply #25 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:31pm
Post Tools
Quote:
Can I say I'm a bit jealous of how amazing your forum is? You've done a great job with it. I'm pretty sure your forum is one of the largest YaBB forums in existence today.

Can I say it would be a LOT bigger if I didn't have server problems .. no-on has been able to register for months and for years people have been complaining about not getting the email verification.

the problem is I have been on here before and got little or no support.

So I have tried hiring freelancers  -- who have messed things up like this case.
It's amazing how hard it is to find a person who can actually resolve my kind of problem - because it involves both freebsd (linux clone) server skills and knowledge of yabb.

IP Logged

simviator

Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:22pm
Post Tools
Quote:
cool just glad that we can help and you might want to make a test forum on the server and test the chmod on that

mmmm .. good idea .. I must look at how to do that

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:36pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:37pm:
Thanks again guys and yes I would indeed regard my forums as a fragile setup and that something is wrong where I've had to chmod the directories to 777.

Give it a few days and I might try chmodding back to 755 but righty now my heart can take no more stress ... & yes JonB I will listen to whet you say with all ears!

Smiley cool just glad that we can help and you might want to make a test forum on the server and test the chmod on that  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:43pm
Post Tools
Congratulations!  Smiley

Can I say I'm a bit jealous of how amazing your forum is? You've done a great job with it. I'm pretty sure your forum is one of the largest YaBB forums in existence today.

Just incredible!  Cool

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

simviator

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:37pm
Post Tools
Thanks again guys and yes I would indeed regard my forums as a fragile setup and that something is wrong where I've had to chmod the directories to 777.

Give it a few days and I might try chmodding back to 755 but righty now my heart can take no more stress ... & yes JonB I will listen to whet you say with all ears!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:15pm
Post Tools
Jon, I'm in complete agreement with you. I know about your work experience, so of course I consider it to be gold.

I wish I could have hired you to help with YaBB installations back in the earlier days when I was doing this for webmasters. Then it would have been done properly. Thankfully for the installations we helped with, everything worked out.

But in hiring you, I probably couldn't have afforded to pay you what you're worth.  Wink

You might get a kick out of this, but the staffers who were doing this for our company were getting paid more than the draw I was taking. In that group, I was getting the least amount of money, and I own the company!

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:07pm
Post Tools
Bill - I have to disagree.

There is no place I can find that YaBB tells you to change any files to '777' in sections that say (roughly) - this folder/files - here are the permissions.

That bottom part is totally generic text (copied in) and does not mention YaBB AT ALL - One of the problems with the Codex is that 'someone' included content without attribution or reference (or dates)
------------------------------------------
"2.1.1.1 Apache on Unix/Linux (CHMOD)

* Basics
     There are different flavors of Unix/Linux - all of them share a similar, somewhat common approach. In referring to this architecture, the word "Lunix" is used for both Unix and Linux derivates. "Read" permissions apply to files that are not actively run, but only being served, e.g text or plain html files. "Write" permissions are needed to dynamically create files, modify or delete them. "Execute" permissions are needed to run executable files, for example, script files like PHP. To serve web pages that are php-powered properly, the most basic permissions that are needed, therefore, are "read" and "execute" (abbreviated as r-x).
     Possible permissions settings are:
         o r-- ... read only
         o r-x ... read and execute
         o rwx ... read, write and execute
     Needless to say, other combinations are technically possible (such as -wx, --x or -w-), but they make little sense in webserver setups and will be ignored in this tutorial."
----------------------------------------------
I will fix that with a note - but I also cannot see how anyone could read that and then infer to arbitrarily decide to make something '777' in YaBB

So I conclude you are reading things that just aren't there.

And I stand by my statement - you should not have to make files '777' on Linux/Unix for YaBB to work. I never have had to and I have worked on dozens of YaBB Linux/Unix installs. Of course, "I know what I am doing".

Cool

Edited:
I have fixed the Codex
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:29pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 4:53pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 4:46pm:
well fingers crossed - with directories chmod 777 and members/messages/boards rebuilt -- all seems to be working again. All boards are viewable as of this moment (could change) and 5 test posts worked.

Now I need about 1 hour to watch things before I treat myself .....

I'd like to thank the guys here who helped me get this damaged forum back on its feet again.

Fingers & everything crossed.  Cool

Fantastic! Music to my ears!  Smiley

For the record, or more accurately, to repeat the record:

The confusion about whether or not to CHMOD to 777 or 755 is of course understandable given that YaBB's own instructions state that it's an option.

For the quotes below, this is the source (the rendering of that page only works using Internet Explorer).

Quote:
Choose the proper permissions as suggested above (777 or 755, depending on your server setup).

Quote:
As explained above, the user the apache daemon runs under needs write access, so you should CHMOD to 777 or 755, depending on your server setup.

It's not uncommon for admins to CHMOD to 777 to get YaBB to work, and then to CHMOD back to 755 when a forum is operational.

In the earlier days of YaBB when my company had staffers who worked on my behalf to help webmasters install YaBB forums (dozens of installations), I understood this is how they sometimes managed it.

I'm not saying it's right; just saying.  Wink

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:06pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top