Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unable to open ./Messages/13223445.txt (Read 5,133 times)
simviator

Unable to open ./Messages/13223445.txt
Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:04pm
Post Tools
Thank you for the answer to my reset admin password.

However now we have made the forum live again about 4 boards will not open - and we get this kind of message

All other boards are OK - just 4 will not open.

Help please.

IP Logged

simviator

Re: Unable to open ./Messages/13223445.txt
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
Incidentally I cannot find the 'xxx.txt' files in the /Messages/ backup I created after the forum was put into maintenance mode.

Will a rebuild of Message list/Member list/Boards fix it?

Thanks

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:42pm:

That might help, and maybe that's all that's needed.

simviator wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:04pm:

All other boards are OK - just 4 will not open.

Help please.

Okay, I see what you mean, and by the way, you have a great looking forum.

If the rebuild didn't work ...

This is most likely a permissions issue, although it could also be a corruption issue. There are two things you can do to check this.

First, you'll want to double check the permissions on each of the boards that are giving you the errors. I won't name your boards here since you didn't mentioned your forum here, but as an example, a board named "praise" would be listed as "praise.txt" on your server. So it would be listed as follows:

/Boards/praise.txt

If the permissions on the file above are set at 644, then change them to the recommended CHMOD of 666.

Hopefully that will work.

If those four boards somehow got corrupted, I'm hoping you have backup copies to upload to your server, and if you do, sometimes reloading any given file will make it work again (ASCII).

Please let us know how things work out for you. Somebody here will most surely help you get this fixed.

Edited:
For anyone else here who can help fix this problem, the other part of the error message that's coming up in his forum is a 2nd line of text that reads as follows:

Verbose: No such file or directory

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 5:13pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:41pm
Post Tools
Possible quick fix solution that has worked in our forum with the same problem: Post a reply to the last message that was recorded in each of the boards that are locked up, and that may open those boards back up for you. Try one to see what happens.

If this works, then delete the replies that you posted, and you'll hopefully be back to normal.

If you're wondering, I was able to access the last message in one of your locked up boards, so you should be able to post a message when you're logged into your account.

I'll be jazzed if this works for you.  Cool

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:50pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:42pm:
Incidentally I cannot find the 'xxx.txt' files in the /Messages/ backup I created after the forum was put into maintenance mode.

Thanks

Do you mean that in cgi-bin/yabb2/Messages/xxxxxxxxxx.txt files are missing or just from the backup also it is a two part as every .txt will have a xxxxxxxxxx.cbt file as well do you have an older backup of the forum and see if you have a copy of the files there as running a Rebuild Message Index will only work if the files are in the cgi-bin/yabb2/Messages dir.

Edited:
if it's ok can you PM me your ftp info as i have two thoughts on what the prob
maybe
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:40pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:26am
Post Tools
For your consideration ...

I know you or another admin in your forum mentioned last week how your forum has gotten buggy because as it was reported, YaBB doesn't work well with large post numbers, and this has ultimately resulted in bugs showing up. But I hope you'll reconsider staying with YaBB despite your reported problems.

Even though your site's plans are to switch to another forum, it might help for you to know that there have been a number of people who have switched, and then who subsequently came back to YaBB.

By the way, I think you have one of the largest YaBB forums online. Congratulations!  Smiley

As for the bug reports that were listed in your forum as an update for your members, perhaps you can report them in this forum so that you can get the help that's needed to get them fixed.

Take care, and good luck.

IP Logged

simviator

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:47am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:41pm:
Possible quick fix solution that has worked in our forum with the same problem: Post a reply to the last message that was recorded in each of the boards that are locked up, and that may open those boards back up for you. Try one to see what happens.

If this works, then delete the replies that you posted, and you'll hopefully be back to normal.

If you're wondering, I was able to access the last message in one of your locked up boards, so you should be able to post a message when you're logged into your account.

I'll be jazzed if this works for you.  Cool

The problem seems to be getting worse with more boards locked up today.

How did you manage to access a locked up board? Smiley

I have a vague memory that in some servers the chmod needs to be different for files inside the main directories

Also I tried to run a Messages rebuild and got this:
Unable to open ./Boards/cfs1.tmp
Verbose: Permission denied

All chmods are as described in Quick guide (directories 755/ files in dierectories 666, etc)

IP Logged

simviator

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:58am
Post Tools
Quote:
maybe

FTP PM'd ... Thank you.  Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:04pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:58am:
FTP PM'd ... Thank you.  Cool

With xnoddyx looking into this for you, and he seems to be really good at this stuff, I suspect he'll be able to get you back on track.

simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:47am:

I noticed that myself, and remembered one of YaBB's users who was having similar problems in his forum when it got as large as yours (The Boy). If it helps, this is his old YaBB forum, and this is his newer forum.

I should point out quite happily that The Boy is still a supporter of YaBB (as you can kind of see here). It might do you good to chat with him about what's going on in your forum, and what you can do about it.

How did you manage to access a locked up board? Smiley

Basically the same way a couple of your members evidently did it, although I don't recall if they tried to post a comment in the locked up board; probably not.

Anyway, to the right of your very first topic, which is now locking up, if you click the link to the last post in that topic that shows up at the right of your screen, you'll be inside that locked topic. Plus, that last post will appear just fine.

So that's what I was suggesting you do; click over to the last post of any given topic that's currently locked, and try to reply in it. I suspect if you're able to do this, that topic will unlock itself.

Let's just say that I've had the exact same problem in my forum, and that's what worked for me. It's worth a try, and as I mentioned before, I'll be very jazzed if it works.

I have a vague memory that in some servers the chmod needs to be different for files inside the main directories ... All chmods are as described in Quick guide (directories 755/ files in directories 666, etc)

That would be correct.

Considering that you had server problems, which now seem fine, my gut's telling me it's corrupted a number of your forum's files.

I know for me when I've sometimes had a corrupted file, reloading it from a backup got it working again.

Just please be careful while you're trying these things, and try to have a 2nd backup on any given file you're working with just in case you need to do a quick reload with it.

Good luck, and hang in there. Others will be around to help as well when they see you've asked for it.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:12pm
Post Tools
By the way, I apologize for not being able to help you out as I'm pretty sure other more capable members here can do, but since I seem to be only one of two people trying to help, maybe what I've offered will be of some real help.

As I've mentioned, I've had the same problems as you're having, although on a much smaller scale, and I know that what I've suggested worked for our forum.

IP Logged

simviator

Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:05pm
Post Tools
Thanks Bill

Actually one of the reasons I want to change over to SMF is that I often get little help here so your and xnoddyx's advice is really appreciated.

What I've done is change the directories to chmod 777. This is now allowing me to do a rebuild which will take several hours. I'll let you know how that went.

Thanks again - sincerely appreciated.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:13pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:58am:
Quote:
maybe

FTP PM'd ... Thank you.  Cool

hi and its cool i am fixing a forum just now and will get to this next Smiley

this is of great concern to me i know that your forum is from a ip only but is this from a home server or a hosted server if it is a home server can you run a check disk or if it is a hosted server can you ask your host to check the server and i now think it's a corruption problem but im not a 100% on this just now also as you have the forum in Maintenance Mode can you make me a admin ac up if you can and PM me the info thanks  Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:04pm:
With xnoddyx looking into this for you, and he seems to be really good at this stuff, I suspect he'll be able to get you back on track.

thank you this made me think about that and i do seem to have a high fix rate  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

simviator

Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:35pm
Post Tools
The server is my equipment but plugged in 3000 miles from me. I am full admin. I don't think the OS is corrupt.
It uses freebsd and ... I think  ... the reason more has become corrupt seems to me to be because people replied to already corrupt threads.

20% through messages index rebuild now.

Will also rebuild Members and Boards and see how that goes ...

Yabb should mention in its docs that in some servers chmod needs to be 777 on directories.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:50pm
Post Tools
Simivator -

Permissions should NEVER need to be set to '777' to make YaBB work. Note I said 'need'.  What the need to set permissions to '777' always tells you is that the server is not set up correctly. (that is coming to you from a guy who has been a Unix systems engineer since 1985)

'777' on any web-exposed files means its 'world-writable' i.e. anyone who can locate the file via a URL can edit/replace it.

Google "world-writable permissions 777"

this is from the WordPress Codex:
Quote:
The dangers of 777

The crux of this permission issue is how your server is configured. The username you use to FTP or SSH into your server is most likely not the username used by the server application itself to serve pages.
 7      7      7
user   group  world
r+w+x  r+w+x  r+w+x
4+2+1  4+2+1  4+2+1  = 777

Often the Apache server is 'owned' by the dhapache or nobody user accounts. These accounts have a limited amount of access to files on the server, for a very good reason. By setting your personal files and folders owned by your user account to be World-Writable, you are literally making them World Writable. Now the dhapache and nobody users that run your server, serving pages, executing php interpreters, etc.. will have full access to your user account files.

This provides an avenue for someone to gain access to your files by hijacking basically any process on your server, this also includes any other users on your machine. So you should think carefully about modifying permissions on your machine. I've never come across anything that needed more than 767, so when you see 777 ask why its necessary.
The Worst Outcome

The worst that can happen as a result of using 777 permissions on a folder or even a file, is that if a malicious cracker or entity is able to upload a devious file or modify a current file to execute code, they will have complete control over your blog, including having your database information and password.

This is only an 'informational' post - it has nothing to do with fixing your forum.

Xnoddyx is a very determined and helpful Support Team member - you are in good hands.

If you would like me to give you some truly free objective advice about your forum and getting it to work better, send me a PM.

Good Luck
Cool

Edited:
BTW - I am the Linux 'chief answerer' for the Apache Friends Support Forum and one of their two GM's
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:54pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:06pm
Post Tools
simviator wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 1:05pm:
Thanks Bill

Actually one of the reasons I want to change over to SMF is that I often get little help here so your and xnoddyx's advice is really appreciated.

Thanks again - sincerely appreciated.

I get where you're coming from, I do. I freely give my advice whenever I can, and I'll continue to do so as long as I think I can help.

You seem like the kind of guy who'll do whatever it takes to get your forum up and running again, which is probably why your site is so successful, and why you have so many happy members enjoying it.

I have a feeling that what you're doing now with the rebuild will probably be what gets you going again. Please let us know how it all turns out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top