Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New forum admin, no YaBB experience. Advice please (Read 528 times)
Nanda
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
New forum admin, no YaBB experience. Advice please
Aug 3rd, 2012 at 12:31pm
Post Tools
We're having a HUGE issue with spam. It's all but shut down this forums, and I've offered to clean it up. Problem is, I want to do this without destroying the board.

We're using 2.1, and would love any advice anyone can give me on how to get this to stop.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: New forum admin, no YaBB experience. Advice please
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:09pm
Post Tools
Nanda wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 12:31pm:
We're having a HUGE issue with spam. It's all but shut down this forums, and I've offered to clean it up. Problem is, I want to do this without destroying the board.

We're using 2.1, and would love any advice anyone can give me on how to get this to stop.

Great news: You can click this post for instructions on how to stop spam coldSmiley

Good luck, and have fun using YaBB.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Nanda
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:43pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the reply, Bill. Is there any benefit to be had keeping at 2.1? I see we're several updates behind, here.

Is there a chance it was because there's some incompatibility?
Sadly, the site owner has passed, and he's the one that kept on top of all these things. Sad, yes, but it was several years ago, and this forum has been in NEGLECT. I'd like to change that.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:23pm
Post Tools
2.1 has no real anti-spam measures that I can see.

As general advice - Put the board in maintenance mode while you use the tools you have to clean out the spam posts and spam memberships. (As admin even under maintenance mode you can make sure nothing's broken.)

Going from 2.1 to 2.4/2.5 is a multi-step process. First read: http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190674872 and http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1232988144

Then create a new install of 2.4 or 2.5 and go to BoardMod (http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?catselect=mods_y2 and http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl and add StopForumSpam and either Derek Barnstorm's anti-spam quiz or Carsten's SpamFruits to your new forum. (Instructions are here: http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?board=boardmod )

I also recommend Carsten's Ex-member mod at http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1310129824

(Make sure you've backed up your ./Members, ./Messages, and ./Boards data to a safe place (off your main server) before moving on to each step. Yes, you'll end up with multiple copies but this is valuable stuff you don't want to lose in case something bad happens.

It sounds complicated - but there are good instructions with each QuickStart guide and there are people here who can help if you run into a snag.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:32pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:25pm
Post Tools
Edited:
Oops! I didn't see Dandello's post. She knows this stuff like the back of her hand, so you'd be well advised to go with her instructions.

Firstly, I'm sorry that your site's owner passed away. You have my condolences.

To your question from my own point of view, I would stay with what you have because of reported bugs in YaBB's 2.5E version. I use v2.4 myself. And I see that BoardMod uses YaBB's 2.3.1 version.

Obviously after dealing with your spam problems ... if you like how your version of YaBB operates, why mess with a good thing, right? Believe it or not, I actually stayed with v1.4 up until only about 2 1/2 years ago. Our forum runs great, so I obviously love it.

I guess it should be pointed out that all of YaBB's versions will have its own bugs (not uncommon in any forum software), so again, you might want to stay with what you've got.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:28pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:43pm
Post Tools
The bugs in 2.5AE relate to non-mission-critical things and the vast majority of users don't even know there are bugs or if they do notice them, they aren't worth bothering about. (This is based on the number of downloads of YaBB2.5AE vs the number of views and comments on particular bugs here in the YaBB Forum.) 

Should you run into any of those, again, there are people here who can point you to the fixes.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:59pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:43pm:
The bugs in 2.5AE relate to non-mission-critical things and the vast majority of users don't even know there are bugs or if they do notice them, they aren't worth bothering about.

That's good to know. I'll have to remember this.

As for the version 2.4 that I use, I'm sure there must be bugs in that one, too, but I'm not aware of any; at least not any that adversely affect our forum, which thankfully continues to operate without any problems.

IP Logged

Nanda
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:22pm
Post Tools
Ah, oh dear. I don't currently have server-side access to the forums, but perhaps I can arrange something.

Thanks for the help though, guys. Really appreciated.

I found where the spam stops and the real threads start.

Keep in mind, like I said, this forum has been abandoned due to the spam problem for.. a very long time.

The board reads YaBB.pl?board=general/12250 - that's a lot.

How do I get rid of THIS MUCH SPAM without destroying the history of this board, and without spending a solid month in maintenance mode manually deleting threads? It's a pickle, darnit.

I need something that will like.. delete every user with less than 3 posts, and every post made after a certain date. Does that even exist?

And when I set my view to 1000 members (to save time) or even 500, I tried "less than [5] posts" and it's trying to delete founding members with 1,000 + posts. This doesn't make ANY sense to me at all.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:48pm by Nanda »  
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 3:53pm
Post Tools
Nanda wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:22pm:
Ah, oh dear. I don't currently have server-side access to the forums, but perhaps I can arrange something ...

It just occurred to me that you could put that forum in permanent maintenance mode with a nice messages explaining things to the members.

In other words, that forum could serve as an archive as needed or desired, and a new forum could be created that would be fresh, and without spam.

So part of your message might read, "Hi everyone. We've decided to give you a fresh new forum, and we'll be keeping this one as an archive in case it needs to be referenced." Etc., etc., etc.

Just thinking aloud.

IP Logged

Nanda
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 11:57am
Post Tools
Funnily enough, that's exactly what we all decided to do, and then I came back and saw your message. Great minds?

Regardless, thanks much for the help, Bill. You've been a champ. Bloody spammers. What a waste of space.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 12:08pm
Post Tools
Nanda wrote on Aug 5th, 2012 at 11:57am:
Regardless, thanks much for the help, Bill. You've been a champ.

Thats twice this week Bill has been thanked personally  Roll Eyes

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 12:38pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Aug 5th, 2012 at 12:08pm:
Regardless, thanks much for the help, Bill. You've been a champ.

Thats twice this week Bill has been thanked personally  Roll Eyes

I like the aphorism, "It is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease." or "...gets the oil." Grin

There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter. ~ Elrick

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 3:33pm
Post Tools
Whatever software you decide on, remember to add  antispam mods or activate whatever anti-spam measures the software has before you open your new forum.

And best of luck with your new/old forum.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2012 at 4:40pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Post Tools
Funnily enough, that's exactly what we all decided to do, and then I came back and saw your message. Great minds?

Regardless, thanks much for the help, Bill. You've been a champ. Bloody spammers. What a waste of space.

Great minds indeed! And music to my ears. Way to go! Have fun with your forum!  Smiley

depablo wrote on Aug 5th, 2012 at 12:08pm:
Thats twice this week Bill has been thanked personally  Roll Eyes

Hi John! Careful. A trend may be starting here.  Wink

Actually, this is the kind of feedback that I've usually gotten; at least from YaBB's community at large.

Well, until you got on that bandwagon of ... what is it called? Until you got on that bandwagon of discontent about my contributions, you were actually very supportive of my efforts as well, and for that I'll always be grateful.

I hope you'll come back to the light since I respect your opinions a lot.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 6:54pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 5th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
Hi John! Careful. A trend may be starting here.  Wink

Grin