Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
403 Forbidden Error and .htaccess (Read 6,361 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: 403 Forbidden Error and .htaccess
Reply #23 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 6:41pm
There are no actions to perform.
This issue is resolved.

The problem was resolved by making a change to the server's Apache configuration file, httpd.conf.

Code (HTML)
Select All
<Directory "/home/*/public_html/cgi-bin">
   AllowOverride None
   Options ExecCGI
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory> 

was changed to
Code (HTML)
Select All
<Directory "/home/*/public_html/cgi-bin">
   AllowOverride All
   Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +FollowSymLinks
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory> 

the critical item being +FollowSymLinks

The root cause/error was discovered by examining the Apache error_log.

Quote:
I found the Apache log.

There's a single error related to YaBB that's repeated over and over. All other errors are some missing files that have nothing to do with Yabb (some images missing from old articles posted on joomla, etc).

Code (HTML)
Select All
[Wed Aug  8 02:20:30 2012][error] [client 66.249.67.134]Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that RewriteRule directive is forbidden: /home/ey000099/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl  

This indicates that this section -

Code (HTML)
Select All
# The line just below this section: 'Options +FollowSymLinks' may cause problems
# with some server configurations.  It is required for use of mod_rewrite, [color=#0000ff]but may already
# be set by your server administrator in a way that dissallows changing it in
# your .htaccess file. [/color] If using it causes your server to error out, comment it out (add # to
# beginning of line), reload your site in your browser and test your sef url's.  If they work,
# it has been set by your server administrator and you do not need it set here.
##

## Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
Options +FollowSymLinks 

was indeed in conflict with the server's configuration - probably due to a missing 'AllowOverride All', probably in the Directory section for the DocumentRoot.

This solution really only applies to VPS/Dedicated Servers or self-hosted Apache Servers.  In any other case, the webhost's support people would probably have had to solve the issue.

This was the discussion that Alejandro found that has 'all the clues'
http://drupal.org/node/386752

Good Luck to all
Cool
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2012 at 6:49pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #22 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:36am
This server is set up in an unusual fashion. A ScriptAlias is inside the DocumentRoot. They are normally in separate hierarchies.  This might not be a problem in some cases, in others it causes problems.

At the moment - we actually do not know why he is getting a 403 error - it might NOT be the .htaccess.

If it is a .htaccess conflict, it is because .htaccess files are hierarchically processed through a folder tree.  This is one of the reasons 'not' to configure in this manner.  Alejandro doesn't recall how things got that way. It is likely there is a conflict, because - apparently - YaBB stopped working when he made the Joomla fix.

I curtailed commenting and replies here as many were completely off topic, or did not move the topic forward.

If you want to know more, read here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/htaccess.html#how
If you want to, discuss it in Area 51.  Please don't try to guess or 'intuit' what is wrong here.

BTW - Alejandro is running a very old version of Apache - 1.3, and its documentation is no longer online - I had to DL a PDF of it.  (one of those things you have to find out, as .htaccess rules/methods do change).

Good Luck
Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #21 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:12pm
Alejandro Raggio wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:40pm:
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:26pm:
By the way, on a more relevant note, remember that Alejandro got his forum to work just fine when he temporarily removed his .htaccess file.

That's right. It is something in the .htaccess file placed in /public_html/ that's getting me the 403 error.

Also, I checked all the .htaccess files in all YaBB folders, but it wasn't that.

Thanks for the update. It's appreciated. One step at a time.  Wink

And since this issue is currently affecting you ...

Because of xnoddyx's reminder about why it is that an .htaccess file exists in YaBB's main folder, this would arguably be directly related to your settings in The Guardian™.

As such, as you've already noted when you temporarily deleted your .htaccess file, it wouldn't surprise me if unchecking the following setting would stop the 403 errors.

Activate .htaccess to add IP blocks on server level?

As Jon reminded us, our forums operate differently depending on different factors, so what works for me may not work for you, and vice-versa. For instance, I have not checked the option that is highlighted in yellow above, and our forum operates perfectly fine without it.

But then, I see that's not what you want to do, and I understand your reasoning.

Also, even though I'm sincerely only trying to help here, I don't want speculation from me to interfere with Jon's efforts to fix this for you. I'm looking forward to seeing how this gets resolved, as you must certainly be as well.

Good luck!

Edited:
If you mean /public_html/ versus /public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/ in regard to your Joomla .htaccess file, then placing a child .htaccess file in your main/parent YaBB folder should resolve any 403 errors.

By the way, if you feel this discussion of speculation is clouding any solutions to be presented in this thread, I'll understand. We can always split off this discussion to another thread in this forum if you want.

All I want for you is to have this problem resolved.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:38pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Alejandro Raggio
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #20 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:26pm:
By the way, on a more relevant note, remember that Alejandro got his forum to work just fine when he temporarily removed his .htaccess file.

That's right. It is something in the .htaccess file placed in /public_html/ that's getting me the 403 error.

Also, I checked all the .htaccess files in all YaBB folders, but it wasn't that.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:22pm
JonB wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:17pm:
Area 51 is ... I have not had time to explain everything yet. I have been too busy responding to 'issues'.  Roll Eyes

The road's a bit bumpy, but at least it's a good road that I'm glad to be on.  Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #18 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:17pm
Area 51 is to get the hiccups out of tutorials before posting them on the YaBB Neo-Codex portal (or anywhere else) that is coming. (if I ever have enough time)  I have not had time to explain everything yet. I have been too busy responding to 'issues'.  Roll Eyes

I realize that I made too large an assumption when I named it 'Area 51' - err think stealth, unannounced programs, test flights, UFO's and aliens, oh, and Fox Mulder and the Smoking Man too...  my bad...

Thanks

Edited:
Alejandro and I are still looking at things. There are lots of questions. I ALWAYS post a full explanation when I fix a problem, we are not at that point.

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:24pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:08pm
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:04pm:
can you please move it ove there thankq and sorry and didn't mean to take it off topic  Cry

I'm obviously good with that as well. My apologies. Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:04pm
JonB wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:38pm:
If you want to have a general purpose discussion on how-to with .htaccess, that is what Area 51 is for.  THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT.Thanks very much 

can you please move it ove there thankq and sorry and didn't mean to take it off topic  Cry

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:54pm
JonB wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:38pm:
Everyone - please stop confusing the issues.

Understood.  Cool

If it helps, including this post, I can move my posts to another topic so that it's less confusing here. Just let me know, and I'll be happy to clean up my mess.

I only meant to help, and then I continued the discussion that followed. My bad if it hurt.  Sad

Edited:
Please remember that Alejandro isn't currently allowed access to Area 51, nor can the majority of this forum's membership access that private area to benefit from it.

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:03pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:38pm
A few things -

A. Alejandro has an unusual set up, one I am trying to get to the bottom of.

B. Where .htaccess files are found and how they work is dependent on A.

C. How anyone else's server is set up is not mundane to this issue.

Everyone - please stop confusing the issues.

If you want to have a general purpose discussion on how-to with .htaccess, that is what Area 51 is for.  THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT.

Thanks very much
Cool

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:19pm
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 4:57pm:
Yes, we also use The Guardian, and it thankfully works just fine.

Bill Myers wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:48pm:
I just pointed out that our forum doesn't have an .htaccess file in it, and it works fine. 

then i dont see how your The Guardian is working as that is the .htaccess it needs
as to the OP it is the root .htaccess that is blocking all subdirectories and the subdirectories for yabb need open in the root .htaccess and the code i thort i used when i had Joomla + 2.3.1 running dident work and i dont have any or access to sites with Joomla running just now

as for the video i was going to make a new one for 2.5 this may happen but i am holding off for the 2.5.2 bug fix and then make some more help videos on some of the settings and that and also for boardmod as well the test video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2uvIZQt0jo but this one was @ 1920x1080p but you can see some of the text so will make them all @1024x768

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Sorry for the double post ... didn't want to crowd my previous post as it was suggested that I not do.

OH MY GOSH!

It just dawned on me thanks to xnoddyx's clarifications that a 403 error can be produced because of settings in The Guardian™.

As it turns out, our forum does use The Guardian™ to protect our board just as I mentioned, but we have obviously not activated .htaccess to add IP blocks on our server level.

So, could it be that Alejandro's 403 error is being presented because of a setting in The Guardian™ that needs to be changed?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:48pm
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:21pm:
hi bill this is how it looks on my server
top mark is the cgi-bin/yabb2/ dir
next is the .htaccess that The Guardian uses
and last is what is in that .htaccess file  Wink
and here is a installation video of 2.4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ic0PTG3dhc

Smiley

I just pointed out that our forum doesn't have an .htaccess file in it, and it works fine.  Wink

In any case, I wonder if Alejandro has the same .htaccess file that you have, and if he doesn't, maybe copying it into his forum could solve his problem, no?

Questioning It's worth a try, right? Questioning

By the way, for me personally, videos are a huge help, so thank you for that.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:50pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:21pm
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 4:57pm:
Our forum's top directory doesn't have an .htaccess file, so it's obviously not needed. Yes, we also use The Guardian, and it thankfully works just fine.More accurately, whenever there's no .htaccess file in any given directory, any .htaccess file above such a directory, if it exists, is what parents the child directories underneath it.In any case, the contents of the .htaccess file that I listed are actually part of YaBB's installation process. I've seen the inner workings of dozens of YaBB forums, and these .htaccess files have been identical.Check your own YaBB forums, and see what shows up.  

hi bill this is how it looks on my server
top mark is the cgi-bin/yabb2/ dir
next is the .htaccess that The Guardian uses
and last is what is in that .htaccess file  Wink
and here is a installation video of 2.4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ic0PTG3dhc
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 5:37pm by xnoddyx »  

billhelp.jpg ( 114 KB | 53 Downloads )
billhelp.jpg

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 4:57pm
JonB wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 12:46pm:
I have sent Alejandro a few questions via PM, as I do not want to confuse this Support thread with speculation.

Yeah, there's speculation going on here. Wink

Just trying to help, and somehow, someway, I seem to have a good track record of solving problems. Please don't denigrate the help I give. If or when it's wrong, just correct me on it, and that will help everyone. Thanks.

xnoddyx wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 1:42pm:
sorry bill but /cgi-bin/yabb2/ needs a .htaccess  as this is where yabb puts all ip blocking from the The Guardian.

Our forum's top directory doesn't have an .htaccess file, so it's obviously not needed. Yes, we also use The Guardian, and it thankfully works just fine.

More accurately, whenever there's no .htaccess file in any given directory, any .htaccess file above such a directory, if it exists, is what parents the child directories underneath it.

In any case, the contents of the .htaccess file that I listed are actually part of YaBB's installation process. I've seen the inner workings of dozens of YaBB forums, and these .htaccess files have been identical.

Check your own YaBB forums, and see what shows up.  Wink

For the record, what I offered is straight from YaBB's documentation.

However this problem gets solved, please explain it here so that all of us can benefit from the solution. Thanks.

Qualification: What I specifically presented in this thread is based on version 2.4 of YaBB.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top