Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic database struture of YABB forum (Read 3,294 times)
Elfen

Re: database struture of YABB forum
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:29pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:38pm:
OK - All the data (and programs) are stored in the cgi-bin hierarchy of files under 'yabb2'.

Specifically data is stored in

./Boards
./Members
./Messages
./Variables
Attachments are stored in
yabbfiles/Attachments

I've been playing around with YaBB enough to know that if you think having these data file holders in the cgi-bin of a directory is not secure, you can have them located elsewhere on the server if its your own personal server. On hosted sites this would be difficult, but on your own server, you can have them located elsewhere like in your document's folder, away from the cgi-bin.

You do need to know where these file holder are in when you move them and list their locations in the Path.pl file and have them read/writable by the webserver and YaBB.

I'll post my results some day on a different thread.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:30pm by Elfen »  

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 4:35pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:59pm:
I use flat-file for nearly everything and I still call them databases. They hold data, don't they?   (Although, technically what's in the files are stings that will be converted into usable data during the read.)

Guess I was looking too deep into the "database" thing at the time and not enough at the overall picture of the questions that were asked.

Anyway, JonB nailed it.

Good luck with your forum, thao123.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:42pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:38pm:

./Boards
./Members
./Messages
./Variables

yabbfiles/Attachments

I'm also one of those people who has always considered the file structure that Jon lists as a database because for me that's exactly what it is. Also, since MySQL is foreign to me, which is pretty much what other forum software uses, I'm ignorant of how that kind of database works, so YaBB's flat-file system is preferred for a number of reasons.

If it matters, I've happily been using YaBB since 2002 for one of our sites with its flat-file system, and I have a MySQL forum on this same site for a comparison (as a backup in case I need to switch).

The skinny is that for a number of reasons, I much prefer to use YaBB because simply put, I think its software is better.

Unless YaBB stops supporting its software, or our forum gets too large for YaBB to operate smoothly, I'll most likely stay with YaBB for at least another 10 years if not more.

Good luck building your YaBB forum, and have lots of fun with it.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2012 at 11:35pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:59pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 9:06am:
2.5AE is all flatfile, therefore no database involved.

I use flat-file for nearly everything and I still call them databases. They hold data, don't they?  Roll Eyes (Although, technically what's in the files are stings that will be converted into usable data during the read.)

@thao123 - Welcome to YaBB.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:38pm
Post Tools
Hi -

first thanks for your interest.

Quote:
And I don't know where all data YaBB's file (flat-files) is. (example: topic's file, message's file... ). 

OK - All the data (and programs) are stored in the cgi-bin hierarchy of files under 'yabb2'.

./Boards
./Members
./Messages
./Variables

There's a special purpose folder for YaBB to backup to:
./Backups

This arrangement keeps the datafiles out of the 'open' area of a webserver, where only the 'application/script' (YaBB) has access to them.

yabbfiles/Attachments

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 9:06am
Post Tools
If you are using YaBB 2.5 or earlier then there is no database to worry about since it does not use one.

2.5AE is all flatfile, therefore no database involved.

Hope this helps.

<div class=

IP Logged

thao123
YaBB Newcomer

None
database struture of YABB forum
Aug 6th, 2012 at 8:25am
Post Tools
I'm going to built a YABB forum. But I can't get database struture of YABB forum. And I don't know where all data YaBB's file (flat-files) is. (example: topic's file, message's file... ). 
Could you help me to find out all of them?
Thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top